Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Barnes and Noble Newsstand Variants11884

Collector New_Format private msg quote post Address this user
This may or may not have been answered before and searched but did not find anything. I was curious as to why the DC comics that were sold at Barnes and Noble between 2016 and 2018, not given the distinction of a newsstand variant when there is both a price variant (3.99 for Newsstand, 2.99 for Direct) and a barcode difference between the Direct market version?

I tried asking but never got a response from anyone, hopefully someone may have a possible answer to share.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
The why is that CBCS distinguishes between Direct and Newsstand editions for books published between 1977 and 2000, so books printed in 2016 through 2018 would fall outside of that range.

As for why CBCS chose that range would require someone from CBCS to chime in. I imagine that the range covers the emergence of the direct market but why cut it off and not distinguish books outside of that range, I don’t know

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector New_Format private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the info, it did help some. It's just kind of weird that they would choose a particular timeframe to go by and not recognize all years that there were Newsstand versions of books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I’ve been barking up that tree for years.

Marvel killed their newsstand in 2013, DC end of 2017. The difference in the books is very obvious, and would take very little time for a grader to note.

So far no explanation has been given.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Agree. I'm not a newsstand guy, but some of the later ones have distinct price differences. It seems like that should be noted.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
I faintly recall @joosh had a conversation with someone at CBCS over this in the Spawn Thank You Verified Signature thread.

I could be wrong, but I remember CBCS being open to including the broader spectrum of Newsstands if a case could be made.

At that time I had suggested us putting together a Newsstand thread 2001-2017. I admit, I got caught up with work and never took the initiative.

If others have a few newsstands 2001+ we could start a thread. We could also post some completed sales of these newsstands. I remember there was an Ultimate Fallout 4 Newsstand on Ebay which I was the winning bid for a while. Then a spec website caught wind of it, did an article and the price flared up so quick. I want to say it went for over $400 for a VF copy.
Post 6 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Bought at BARNES and NOBLE November 2011...is this considered
Newsstand?

CC

mm
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
Bought at BARNES and NOBLE November 2011...is this considered
Newsstand?

CC

mm

Yes. Your copy is a newsstand copy.
Post 8 IP   flag post
SpongeBob Comics #1 sells for $991! Joosh private msg quote post Address this user
I did talk to @sborock about this last fall. I didn’t follow up with him right away as my house sale suddenly went quickly and my focus directed to moving my family from MI to IN. About 3 weeks ago I finally sent Steve an email with all the late modern newsstand info I had compiled in my brain. I need to call him to let him know to check his mail. This thread is the kick I needed I think.
@Hcanes excellent memory!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector valiantman private msg quote post Address this user
This might be helpful, since both newsstand and direct edition often had barcodes for 20+ years.

Just look at the right section of the barcode. Ignore the many lines on the left.

Direct editions have 5 numbers (and more lines), newsstand editions has 2 numbers ("skinny" lines):

So, it's quick to see newsstand vs. direct edition regardless of how they were printed:

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
@Joosh I got an extensive list as well I can send your way if it helps.

Post 11 IP   flag post
600833 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?