Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Is anyone else a fan of 90s animation?

I’m currently watching the Tick.

“Put the moon back, demon waif!”

There really was a renaissance in the 90s with X-Men, Batman and Superman animated series, Animaniacs, Pinky and the Brain, etc...

Does anyone have any other favorites I missed?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
All the Disney Stuff: Duck Tales, Dark Wing Duck, Tail Spin, Goof Troop, Gargoyles

Also, Simpsons was at the top of its game

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SidTheSquid private msg quote post Address this user
I loved BTAS and X-men back in the early 90s. Batman the Animated Series has some AWESOME animation. Usually in the more action-heavy episodes. The color styling and BG painting is amazing too. X-men is almost unwatchable for me now, it's so stiff and crappy! The writing sucked too.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Ok i would say and I believe i was right. Johnny Bravo, Dexter Laboratory, Ed, Edd, Eddy, Mighty Max, and Spawn. These are some rhat come to mind
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, I might enjoy a few...

Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahjdorsey
I loved BTAS and X-men back in the early 90s. Batman the Animated Series has some AWESOME animation. Usually in the more action-heavy episodes. The color styling and BG painting is amazing too. X-men is almost unwatchable for me now, it's so stiff and crappy! The writing sucked too.

That’s funny you say that about X-Men. I never got the appeal. The animation looked much weaker compared to BTAS, and the stories just didn’t do it for me.

Everyone else seems to love it, so I included it thinking I was the only one not impressed by it.

Now I know I’m not alone!
Post 6 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp

Whoa! Watch party at your house???

I’m curious: how does the old dungeons and dragons show hold up?

I thought it was pretty awesome back in the day, but so many of those cartoons did not hold up well. See spider man and his amazing friends....
Post 7 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahjdorsey

I started X-Men on Disney+ because I forgot to cancel after the free trial. The animation and writing are a little rough. Apparently AKOM animated most of it. Cheap, low-budget animation is AKOM's M.O. They animated parts of season 2 and a lot of season 3 for Transformers. It was a very noticeable shift in style from Toei. AKOM was also fired from Batman The Animated Series for producing crap. I think the Simpsons threatened to fire them too, but they might have pulled their act together on that.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@noahjdorsey BTAS is probably my all time favorite. I hated X-men back in the ‘90s. They took storylines from the comics, changed them all around so they made no sense, added characters who weren’t in the original stories and so on. Definitely unwatchable!

@Jabberwookie The Dungeons and Dragons cartoon falls a little flat by today’s standards but is still charming. I do have a warm spot for Spider-Man and his amazing friends. I think it is an accurate representation of the early ‘80s Marvel universe that I know and love. I have that show on dvd as well, not sure if it is in that display case or not. Another early ‘80s cartoon that I have been enjoying recently and I think holds up very well is Thundarr the Barbarian. Kirby did a lot of the design work for that show and that Kirby flavor shines through in every episode! Oh, and hell yeah! Watch party at my house anytime!
Post 9 IP   flag post
From an old fanzine I used to publish. Seems relevant:

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
90's spiderman wasn't terrible and covered a good bit of cannon with some changes.

Other neat 90's animation I recall:
Extreme Ghostbusters (took a while but it grew on me)
Tiny Toon Adventures
Real Adventures of Jonny Quest
Batman Beyond
Futurama

If I can include Japanese cartoons:
Cowboy Bebop
Street Fighter 2 v
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Loved watching Batman Beyond and Pinky and the Brain with my son back then. I miss those days.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Beast Wars was mind blowing to me at the time. Dated by today's CGI but pretty cool back then. I've been watching the original non-Disney Doug episodes. Ren & Stimpy especially when John K could be subversive was entertaining.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Loved
Batman the animated series
Batman Beyond
Pinky and The Brain
Gundam Wing
CatDog
Courage the Cowardly Dog
Dexters Laboratory
The Tick

Although early 00s Invader Zim Was awesome and Sponge Bob is funnier as an adult.

Never got into Dragon Ball Z but from what I remember it was done well.
Post 14 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 15 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
90s/00s: BTAS, JLUnlimited, Amazing Spider-man, X-men loved them all

80s: Thundarr the Barbarian, Dungeons and Dragons, Transformers, Battle of the Planets, Spidey and his Amazing Friends

60s/70s: Space Ghost, Birdman, Herculoids, Johnny Quest...all awesome!!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp

Oh, heck yeah!!

Thundarr was awesome at the time! I actually think it still holds up.

It reminds me a little of Land of the Lost, in that there was some amazing talent behind it. Except land of the lost had not aged well at all...

I feel you on Spidey. It was a great introduction to the marvel universe at the time, and I watched it every Saturday.

I even recorded episodes on my little tape recorder. Somehow, hanky just the audio seemed cool.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@GAC

Sweet!did you get your shelf at Nebraska furniture mart?

It looks just like mine!
Post 18 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie That one was from IKEA if I remember correctly.
Post 19 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Man.... can’t Ren and Stimpy get some love?????
Post 20 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 21 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
I love many of the shows mentioned here with Batman the animated series being one of my very favorite but here a few more that i loved.

Freakazoid
Samurai Jack
Pirates of Dark Water
and BTAS evil twin but a great show none the less Superman the Animated Series.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad Early Ren and Stimpy rules! I still have all the classics on VHS!
Post 23 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
Ok i would say and I believe i was right. Johnny Bravo, Dexter Laboratory, Ed, Edd, Eddy, Mighty Max, and Spawn. These are some rhat come to mind

Don't forget "The Powerpuff Girls"... and "Cow and Chicken." To this day, I still love Cousin Boneless. 🙂
Post 24 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort I forgot about Samurai Jack!
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Oh snaps forgot a cartoon I thought was under rated. SWAT Cats. Love the intro and the characters were awesome. Doug was awesome as well. 80's well Voltron, Thundercats, Gatchman, Silverhawks, Dinosaucers, and was Blue Falcon and Dyanomute 70's????
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Any one watching the new Harley Quinn animated.Its a bit dirty and i would not show your kids but it is funny.Look for SYFY.The language is the problem and a bit of blood.
Post 27 IP   flag post
@comicsforme I've watched some episodes....the wifi password bit shown here had me laughing out loud...

Post 28 IP   flag post
@Absolute_Zero Swat Kats was cool. I forgot about that one
Post 29 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
If we're throwing other decades into the mix, for my money the best 80's show was Robotech, hands down.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600788 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?