Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by circumstances
Funny Pages Vol. 3 #4. June, 1939. Jack Cole World's Fair Cover. Gustavson Arrow story. 5 copies on the CGC census, zero on the CBCS.

Cool rarity there! Some stellar results on Amazing Mystery Funnies auctioned off on ComicConnect last night! Centaurs are hot!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector circumstances private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Funny Pages Vol. 3 #4. June, 1939. Jack Cole World's Fair Cover. Gustavson Arrow story. 5 copies on the CGC census, zero on the CBCS.

Cool rarity there! Some stellar results on Amazing Mystery Funnies auctioned off on ComicConnect last night! Centaurs are hot!

Really? I wasn't aware.
Post 52 IP   flag post
@circumstances Yes, they were Jon Berk copies, that fetched significantly more this go round than the initial auction back in 2017.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
@circumstances Yes, they were Jon Berk copies, that fetched significantly more this go round than the initial auction back in 2017.

Sweet.

Was it a large selection, or just a few late run AMFs?
Post 54 IP   flag post
@circumstances A few AMF's . Tonight is the Church copy of Detective Eye #1 i believe.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Amazing Man #7 (3rd issue). November, 1939. Bill Everett cover and art. From my collection.

Post 56 IP   flag post
Quote:
Amazing Man #7 (3rd issue). November, 1939. Bill Everett cover and art. From my collection.

Cool one! A WWII cover before the U.S. even entered the war if i'm correct?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

It's definitely prior to Pearl Harbor, but I don't know if the cover story is WWII related, or just some randos with planes.
Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's definitely prior to Pearl Harbor, but I don't know if the cover story is WWII related, or just some randos with planes.
Maybe i'm confusing it with #9? I know that one is also pre Pearl Harbor, but a Nazi is depicted on that cover, making it a more clear cut case.
Post 59 IP   flag post
Can't go wrong with gorilla covers, EVER! Here's an early one on a comic book anyway
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:
Can't go wrong with gorilla covers, EVER! Here's an early one on a comic book anyway

Love it! Never had that one!
Post 61 IP   flag post
Amazing Mystery Funnies #18, March, 1940. Bill Everett with his only Speed Centaur cover. 8 universal copies on the CGC census, 4 on the CBCS. From my collection.

Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Amazing Mystery Funnies #18, March, 1940. Bill Everett with his only Speed Centaur cover. 8 universal copies on the CGC census, 4 on the CBCS. From my collection.

Love this one! Appreciate the stats from both census'.
Post 63 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Love this one! Appreciate the stats from both census'.

Thanks!

Post another one!
Post 64 IP   flag post
One of the best Robot covers imho. Up there with the most celebrated of them.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
One of the best Robot covers imho. Up there with the most celebrated of them.

Absolutely!
Post 66 IP   flag post
Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol.2 #3, March, 1939. Bill Everett cover. 9 universal CGC, 2 cbcs, none higher than an 8.0. From my collection.

Post 67 IP   flag post
Quote:
Amazing Mystery Funnies Vol.2 #3, March, 1939. Bill Everett cover. 9 universal CGC, 2 cbcs, none higher than an 8.0. From my collection.

Woah! That's one of the major Centaur books right there! Major props on owning a copy of that one!
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Woah! That's one of the major Centaur books right there! Major props on owning a copy of that one!

Thanks! Hopefully it'll still be a census-buster if I ever send it in for slabbing!
Post 69 IP   flag post
Bump! (don't have an image of one of my Centaurs handy)
Post 70 IP   flag post
@circumstances Will post one tomorrow
Post 71 IP   flag post
This one is from the Billy Wright pedigree. Was the longest extended bidding time 'duel' i've ever had to go through to acquire a book through Comic Connect. One of the few books in the Pedigree to have Mr. Wright's name on it.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This one is from the Billy Wright pedigree. Was the longest extended bidding time 'duel' i've ever had to go through to acquire a book through Comic Connect. One of the few books in the Pedigree to have Mr. Wright's name on it.

@Sagii Ok, bear with me a second.

I wasn't familiar with Centaur comics before this thread. I'd heard of them, but I never really researched them. So when I saw you post this earlier, I had kind of thought that "Billy Wright" was printed (not written) on the cover.

When I looked at it again in the calendar thread, I noticed it was smudged. So that got me thinking, which is almost never a good thing. Is that his signature? If it is, I can't help but wonder if CBCS (Beckett) could verify it. Since it is his pedigree, I can't imagine that it isn't or that verifying it (if possible) would even add any value to it. I'm not suggesting you do that (I wouldn't), but I'm curious if you have entertained the idea.

Edit - I also had no idea who Buddy Wright was until today.
Edit 2 - just to make clear, I know BSA probably can't verify it. Think of this like a "what if?" scenario.
Post 73 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Hey Buddy! Well, on the comics Pedigree site it does mention that a small number of his books have his signature on them. The collection was assembled in the 30's to 40's so though i'm sure some hand writing samples could verify through an expert that it's his signature, i think it's just a 'given' being that many kids at that time did that sort of thing on their comic books.

There is a cool active Pedigree Thread right here on the CBCS forum.

In a sense because it's not one of those pedigrees that collectors rely on writing, date stamps or coding for identifying them, it makes this one one of a special few in this particular collection that does.

I never considered the Beckett angle as a counter 'benefit' to potentially reholdering it with CBCS as opposed to CGC's new Pedigree label. But it's certainly worth mulling over.

Now look what you've gone and done!!!
Post 74 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I wasn't familiar with Centaur comics before this thread. I'd heard of them, but I never really researched them.

Sorry for exposing you to all this Centaur goodness!!
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:

Awesome!

I have exactly zero pedigree comics!
Post 76 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@circumstances @Sagii you both have really awesome collections. Distinguished tastes if you will. I only have a handful of comics that I would consider cool, but I scroll through this thread and it just leaves me in awe. Not just in awe of the books, but the passion you both bring to the collections. It's very cool, so by all means "keep 'em coming".
Post 77 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

I wasn't familiar with Centaur comics before this thread. I'd heard of them, but I never really researched them.

Sorry for exposing you to all this Centaur goodness!!

LOL!! I'm enjoying it!!! I enjoy comics and I enjoy learning new things. This thread is a winner in my book!!!
Post 78 IP   flag post
@circumstances With a collection containing Superman #1, Batman #1, All American #16, All Star Comics #3, etc, I don't think we'll hold it againt you for not having any pedigree copies
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
@circumstances With a collection containing Superman #1, Batman #1, All American #16, All Star Comics #3, etc, I don't think we'll hold it againt you for not having any pedigree copies

Whew! That's a relief!
Post 80 IP   flag post
601206 90 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?