Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

CGC turnaround time1182

Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Said it before and will say it again - CGC's turn around times are to the point of being ridiculous. it is now up to 85 business days. ie submit today and get back by end of Jan 2017.

CBCS - here we go!!!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector grriii private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS isn't much better unfortunately. Get your books in January 2017 or two weeks earlier in December. I have never understood why either of these companies are not able to hire according to the demand.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
I fast pass pretty much everything and have some 2 days shipping off today.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Captain_Aspirin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by grriii
CBCS isn't much better unfortunately. Get your books in January 2017 or two weeks earlier in December. I have never understood why either of these companies are not able to hire according to the demand.

Steady work through the year and while people complain, they send their books anyways. There's not a huge incentive on their end. The steady work keeps everyone busy instead of being sent home early or called off. If the graders get less hours, they are likely to find new jobs, then watch the turn around times. CBCS will be better after the cons are over.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised there isn't enough demand to spread out to multiple locations (east/central/west), it would cut down a bit on turn around times and make shipping less expensive.

Maybe one day.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@grriii hiring more people is dependent upon the money coming in and, if after factoring salary costs, the company will still turn a profit. CBCS has had a number of hiring campaigns so far but I never expect them to be able to respond "immediately" to "demand". One of the main issues is that both companies also hinder their progress by allotting staff to the convention circuit which dramatically slows the processing of in house orders. They need to have staff just devoted to the convention circuit that does not cut into the the staffing at the home facility. Both businesses need far more graders on the moderns than the other tiers too because the biggest stream of books is from the modern era.

All this takes time and is, more than likely, not as simple as it may sound.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@bythegram there is demand from all over but it is REALLY expensive to start up even one location nevermind three or four (or international locations). Then there is the logistics of staffing, training and getting a consistent "product" out of each facility. (and so forth)
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector userX745 private msg quote post Address this user
From the "Untitled Nerd Network" interview last Thursday, Steve Borock said they only had about 32 employees and only a handful are graders. These people are big time fans of the hobby and want it done correctly and accurately. Plus it is Convention season and so many people are taking advantage of on-site submissions to help save on shipping cost.

I did my first submission at SDCC and the waiting period sucks. Each week I see the new turnaround dates it gets me excited as it gets closer to my submission date. Patients is the key or if you have the $$$ fast pass the books.

Hiring more people can help but the company will still need to make sure the people that are doing the grading are doing it correctly and accurately. Those skills probably takes time to obtain and really being a fan of the hobby.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Since the CGC case debacle I am almost at 50 books submitted to CBCS, I should hit 80-100 by December.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by userX745
From the "Untitled Nerd Network" interview last Thursday, Steve Borock said they only had about 32 employees and only a handful are graders. These people are big time fans of the hobby and want it done correctly and accurately.

It should be noted that in that same interview, Steve said that they Started with 6 people in July, 2014. Of the current 32, there are now 9 graders. How many business do you know of that have grown 5 times its' original size in the first two years? I don't know of any. When you stop to think of it, it is amazing that they have grown so fast!!! Not everyone can grade comics!! If you want to know what is expected of a grader, check out the interview on youtube. The requirements are not all that easy. Just the fact that you can't sell comics would be enough for a lot of people to be disqualified or not apply in the first place. I get tired of people saying "Hire more graders" all the time. Have any of you ever hired help for a workplace?? I was a manager of an automotive retail parts store. It's not easy finding dependable and qualified help out there!!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Iceman399 private msg quote post Address this user
The best part of CGC wait times is when you send a book in and they receive it turn around time is 60 business days. When it gets to business day 61 they change the turn around time listed on the website to be 85 business days and you have to wait another 25+ before your books ship out...
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by userX745
From the "Untitled Nerd Network" interview last Thursday, Steve Borock said they only had about 32 employees and only a handful are graders. These people are big time fans of the hobby and want it done correctly and accurately.

It should be noted that in that same interview, Steve said that they Started with 6 people in July, 2014. Of the current 32, there are now 9 graders. How many business do you know of that have grown 5 times its' original size in the first two years? I don't know of any. When you stop to think of it, it is amazing that they have grown so fast!!! Not everyone can grade comics!! If you want to know what is expected of a grader, check out the interview on youtube. The requirements are not all that easy. Just the fact that you can't sell comics would be enough for a lot of people to be disqualified or not apply in the first place. I get tired of people saying "Hire more graders" all the time. Have any of you ever hired help for a workplace?? I was a manager of an automotive retail parts store. It's not easy finding dependable and qualified help out there!!

I would also imagine, contrary to what people believe, not a lot of people want to be graders.

Who would leave their current job, for a job that I imagine you are not going to be rich off (you can not sell comics), and spend your day looking at 50 copies that someone brought in of New52 Batman #1.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector bythegram private msg quote post Address this user
Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting for CBCS to grow/speed up turn around time overnight, anyone who is has never tried to grow a business.

My point about spreading out to multiple offices was just an idea to make shipping costs/times lower, would still take years to roll out but I'd vote for more offices over more graders at the one office (not that my vote means anything lol).

Either way I plan on sending many books in over the next few months.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I turned in 17 books to CBCS, from many different tiers. They told me it would be about 6 weeks because of the slower tiers and sending all of the books back together.

Six weeks will go by fast.

As to being a grader. I love comic books. But I hate to grade them meticulously. I just like to give them a once over and decide on a grade range. If I had to just grade comics all day long, five days a week. I would go mad.

I would also make mistakes occasionally, because I am human. I have good days and bad days. I also would have a hard time with the truly rare books, if I had to grade all books by the same scale and standards. Not saying they should not be. Just stating that it would require a lot of discipline to do that.

Get 200 books correct, and mess up one book. You will hear about the mistake from every direction. It is not an exact science or skill. And one thing I have learned in life, is that you can not please everyone. Can't be done.

Having said all of that. I wish I lived in Florida. I would apply to work for CBCS in some capacity. But not as a grader. I would be great at problem solving and customer relations. It is what I do.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

It is rather simple. Anyone who really knows how to grade, is buying and selling books part time (or full time) and can make more compared to working as a grader full time. If I could make $40,000+ selling books on the side, why would I give that up to make $35,000 working full time.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Designer_Toast private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by bythegram
Don't get me wrong, I am not expecting for CBCS to grow/speed up turn around time overnight, anyone who is has never tried to grow a business.

My point about spreading out to multiple offices was just an idea to make shipping costs/times lower, would still take years to roll out but I'd vote for more offices over more graders at the one office (not that my vote means anything lol).

Either way I plan on sending many books in over the next few months.

The topic of having offices on each coast has come up a couple of times. It's a great idea and while it is expensive, I think the company that does it will have a huge advantage. Will it happen? Not likely.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

It is rather simple. Anyone who really knows how to grade, is buying and selling books part time (or full time) and can make more compared to working as a grader full time. If I could make $40,000+ selling books on the side, why would I give that up to make $35,000 working full time.
BOOM
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFP_Comics
Quote:

So true.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
I fast pass pretty much everything and have some 2 days shipping off today.

Exactly what I do too for both companies. Fast Pass & 2 Day Grading is my friend.
Post 19 IP   flag post
My fast pass from Boston is on its way to me.

My fast track from Boston is sitting in grading..
Post 20 IP   flag post
597875 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?