Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPComics Modern AgeComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

CBCS launches Census/Graded Population Report11814

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
what about all the cbcs comics that were converted over to cgc? I have done a lot of them myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero

Post 101 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Thank you for your response. I'm glad it's not just me. Case sensitive? I dont think I would have thought of that.

On a side note, they should put a search link of the serial numbers on the same page as census to have all the tools in the same place.
Post 102 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Stupid question.

Is there a default way to search a serial number of a CBCS book? For example. I was looking at a book to possibly purchase from ebay, but could not do a search. Since the census came out, I was able to find the book and noticed it was missing 2 zeros in the beginning. Adding the 2 digits omitted from label allowed the search to complete.

On @Darkseid_of_town's book, I cant do a search on his number either. (Copy paste and adding 2 zeros to beginning didnt yield result.)

Is there a specific syntax that needs to be observed? A dash? A space?

CBCS has changed it's invoicing system a couple of times but it's been mostly stable for a few years now.

The first two digits are the last two digits of the year the invoice was created. Looking at the serial number for @Darkseid_of_town's book. I'm fairly confident in saying the invoice was created in 2017.

This system goes back to 2016, so most of CBCS' life. Serial numbers since then are made up of three parts. The first two digits are the last two of the year the invoice was created, followed by a dash, followed by the body of the invoice number, basically a set of seemingly random letters and numbers, always capitalized, followed by a dash, and finally the number of the book within the order (determined alphabetically by title and then sorted by tier).

Prior to 2016, CBCS briefly began their invoices with "00." Even earlier, CBCS' earliest books had a different invoicing system that began with a sequence of seven numbers, a dash, then a double letter code "AA," "AB," etc, which I believe divided up the tiers, followed by a dash, and finally 3 digits identifying the book within the tier, sorted alphabetically
Post 103 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Great news!
I spoke with Matt Nelson at CGC and we will be sending all labels back to each other to keep the census at both companies as correct as possible.
This is great for the hobby!
Post 104 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Is there an understanding as to why CBCS/CGC believe collectors do not send in labels when cracking out and re-submitting? Do the companies have a belief on the psychology to this?
Post 105 IP   flag post

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
What I'm getting at is; do collectors crack and resubmit because they believe they can get a higher grade?

If the above is true, do collectors believe (right or wrong) that sending in the old label may influence the new grade?

additional: If collectors do believe this...could a program be set up to send in labels after the fact to keep the census' as accurate as possible...or does this present other problems?
Post 106 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I would think because it doesn't always happen. I've seen my friend crack, press, and resubmit to CGC. He won't include the labels because he feels that the old label will be looked up and that will influence the graders on the resubmitted book. I don't believe it happens that way in reality though.
Post 107 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley exactly! I believe most collectors who crack and resubmit do it for that reason and don't supply labels because of possible influence.

whether it influences the grade or not doesn't matter if that's what they believe.

Can a program be set up to obtain labels after the fact to keep the census' accurate or does that open up other issues?
Post 108 IP   flag post
I thought if you submit a label to CGC they'll remove it from the census, I don't remember where I read that or maybe I'm imagining it. Basically, if you crack a book, you can just send the label with a note saying that it can be removed.
Post 109 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley Ah, ok...I was unaware one can do that....so this probably already exists. Cool!
Post 110 IP   flag post
People can send in the labels with their next submission or when sending in the cracked out book.
The labels have absolutely no influence on the grade that the graders give a book what so ever. The grade we feel is correct is what we give the book.
Everyone in our community should do their very best to keep the census correct. Best for our hobby.
Post 111 IP   flag post
I have a bunch of CGC labels that I cracked out (ended up as CBCS books), do you think I can just mail those labels to CGC (without a submission for grading)?
Post 112 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I have a bunch of CGC labels that I cracked out (ended up as CBCS books), do you think I can just mail those labels to CGC (without a submission for grading)?

Yes.
Post 113 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry....gonna be lazy here and not read the prior pages to see if this was asked.

Is there a reason that:

a) the default is "exact" description rather than "contains anywhere"? would seem that contains anywhere would be more useful more times.

and

b) it takes you to the picture if there is one but not the graders notes - will those be included at some point??
Post 114 IP   flag post
I’d also like to know if Slab-Only books are or will be tracked on the Census. Currently the Census does track ungraded ART labels but I didn’t see an entry for slab-only books.

Also, I would love for the census to be able to return a list of Series which you can open to see all issues within that series, not unlike the CGC Census

Also, to build on @KatKomics mention of the Exact vs Anywhere search option, another standard search option I would like to see implemented is the “Starts With” option
Post 115 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I’d also like to know if Slab-Only books are or will be tracked on the Census. Currently the Census does track ungraded ART labels but I didn’t see an entry for slab-only books.

Yup, I'd like to know this too.....
Post 116 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Do slab only books have a certification number? If they do I'm guessing they probably will be included in the census. Question is raw grades from CBCS, are they included in the census?
Post 117 IP   flag post
Post 118 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderTim
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Do slab only books have a certification number? If they do I'm guessing they probably will be included in the census. Question is raw grades from CBCS, are they included in the census?

Raw books are not currently included in the census. Perhaps because CBCS doesn’t mean for it to be a long-term preservation solution

Slab-Only books do appear to have a serial number but there is currently no column in the census for them
Post 119 IP   flag post
I think the World's Finest 88 population data is incorrect. Under the Universal label it shows 1 copy but if you google you'll see there's more CBCS graded WF88s out there.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I think the World's Finest 88 population data is incorrect. Under the Universal label it shows 1 copy but if you google you'll see there's more CBCS graded WF88s out there.

There is only 1 under "World's Finest 88" but 6 under "World's Finest Comics 88". The census goes by whatever is written on the label. I've seen this before and I hope they are fixing it.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I sent a report in on it.
Post 122 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Great! Thanks Jesse!!!
Post 123 IP   flag post
Collector nsx private msg quote post Address this user
How long does CBCS take to update missing books after you have used the report a problem function?
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx
How long does CBCS take to update missing books after you have used the report a problem function?

Concur. She's getting lonely being on the outside looking in.

Post 125 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx

Concur. She's getting lonely being on the outside looking in.

That's ok, if tired of waiting, please feel free to send my way. I have a spot for it in my permanent collection.
Post 126 IP   flag post
@Scifinator we can make that happen if you happen to have a Transformers #1 Canadian price variant or a complete TF #1 from Marvel UK.
Post 127 IP   flag post
601274 127 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?