Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkGrading Help Needed

Any gokdensilver age Archie comics experts here?11813

Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
So I have this original art from jughead 49 from back in 1958, but I can't tell who did the art and inks. Gcd has no info at all on this story. I've attached some close ups of the characters and of the hand writing on the top and bottom. The signature on the back appears to be some approval initials or something, don't know.

Any help is appreciated!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
I tried...it looks a lot like DeCarlo but he always includes his name somewhere, so it’s not him.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Harry Lucey?
Post 3 IP   flag post
One thing I can tell y'all... The writing on the top and bottom of the margins may be different people, but they are not necessarily the artists. I've looked at dozens of examples from 1957 to 1959 and many many many of them have the same hand-writing in the margins, so I'm guessing that would have been done by someone like the editor or publisher.

One thing I read, and I have to go back now and check, is that each artist had their own cute little way of writing "The End" in the final panel.

Of course I cannot find my damn copy of Jughead #49 to check how this story ends!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
from what little Neal Adams has talked about this time, the writer/artist did not know where in the books the stories would go, so ALL of those page # and probably even Issue title/# data was written by someone in the Archie offices. there's no reason to think that would be the artist's writing. editor, secretary even, could be anyone at the office who was marking the pages from someone's list of which stories went where.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I can rule out Harry Lucey and Bill Vagoda. No way it's them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
You know what? I think the goat is the big tip off. There were a couple of artists @ Archie Pub who did realistic animal sketching, dropping them into the cartoonish Archie Universe. Bob Bolling, Ken Hultgren, Dexter Taylor.

Problem is, those dudes were never associated with anything other than the little nature notebook interstitial pages in the grown up archie books at the time. Bolling had just put out the Little Archie in Animal Land title in 57/58.

Given the date the jughead was drawn, I'm wondering if Bob Bolling was asked to pencil some other titles w/o credit, just to try the waters, and when Little Archie proved to be a huge success, they put him back on that book full time.

It's got to be one of the three dudes above. I'd like to go with Bob Bolling. He's still alive, maybe I can reach out and trigger some memories.
Post 7 IP   flag post
600449 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?