Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Silver Age

Anyone relying on their comic collection to pay for retirement?11812

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@maynard23692 love to see those books! 🍻
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I know old timers who are living well off their comics in their basements, have for 20-30 years. But that was their only job, so do they ever retire?
I created an investment fund of keys 12 years ago, still sell crap on EBay to fund an occasional key or lawn mower. I did retire (quit) in November, but I have always been lucky and live fine off stocks. Day trading is a trip, man. So far anyway.
Good to have multiple investments IMO
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
the comics books not really...but a few pieces of OA? maybe
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I am!

As long as my retirement is only for the weekend AND I don’t go anywhere.

I consider my comics to be extras. If in 20 years, I’m retired and want to sell some, I’ll have some extra cash, but I’m not counting on it.

There will be a few dozen I’ll keep forever, to pass on to the kids, and some are important to me so I might just be buried with them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
I am!

I consider my comics to be extras. If in 20 years, I’m retired and want to sell some, I’ll have some extra cash, but I’m not counting on it.

There will be a few dozen I’ll keep forever, to pass on to the kids, and some are important to me so I might just be buried with them.

A custom made coffin looking like a long box (or short box, idk- We never met ) would be cool.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I think for most of us, we wouldn't have had the discipline or the foresight (or the money) back then to buy just the stuff that was top of the charts in the Overstreet guide and sit on it for 50 years. I know I would have absolutely dumped my comics during the late 80's comics craze cause that's what I did!

Anyways, fun to pretend.

I found a site with some interesting calculators to compare.

$10K invested in S&P 500 (adjusted for inflation, capital gains, reinvested dividends, not touched since 1971 accumulates to about $707,302

$10K would get you 33 copies of mint (8.5 to 9.2+) Action #1 which was $300 at the time for a mint copy (there was no such thing as That's worth about $70 to $90 million today.

Anybody got a time machine?
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
@dOOG. I agree, diversification in your investments is key. My side investments besides comics includes tax lien certificates....
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers

I’m not sure it’s fair to compare investment strategies, though. It’s easy to think about what kind of wealth you’d have if you spent $10K on $16 copies of AF15 50 years ago, but you’d have to apply that same hindsight benefit to past stock purchases.

I'm talking about just blindly investing in a market fund, something that's tied to the S&P 500 instead of picking particular stock. I guess the 1971 comic book analog would be picking up ALL the titles off the newsstand edgar church style.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I bought and collected a lot of the key stuff back mid eighties...spent maybe 17 k during that time period total. I have at least two separate books in my collection in the 10 k range alone 35 years later so....problem with stocks and such is its all easily monitored and taxable.
To my eye comics cannot be beat as a vehicle to invest in...trick being timing and choosing the right mix of books. Just my own view .
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
I am!

A custom made coffin looking like a long box (or short box, idk- We never met ) would be cool.

Ha ha!

I wonder what my cbcs grade would be by then? 1.8???
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
@Siggy Why not a plastic slab?
Post 36 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
@Siggy Why not a plastic slab?

Ew, that would REALLY show any defects..
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
Quote:
I am!

Ha ha!

I wonder what my cbcs grade would be by then? 1.8???

Well, depending on the "when", you might find restoration a very viable option.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I swore no more comics, then this happened. PaulPop private msg quote post Address this user
I'm an oldie, almost 61. Can't retire on my comics, but there's some excellent side money. Mostly silver age. maybe a dozen Golden age Detectives. Good amount of keys. I just got my feet wet in starting to sell, and for all the people talking about selling when they retire, I want to say a couple things.

It's work. Make no mistake. Opening every bag, taking pictures of cover, splash, center and rear. Estimating a fair grade. Listing, wrapping, boxing. Trips to the PO. When it comes time to sell, it's at least a part time job.

Then there's books not worth eBaying because of postage. 80's books. A thousand #1's that nobody remembers. Runs of low demand comics. Books that cost more to ship than they sold for. What do you do with them? Craiglst, sure. But that has a limited audience.

Financially, at this point of corona virus, you have to wonder if people have no money, or are comic collectors bored and spending. You have to know your economic environment.

The moral of the story: It is easier, and a lot more fun to collect than it is to deal.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Retirement hell no. Nice vaca later in life hell yeah
Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector chefcomics private msg quote post Address this user
during the late 80 and early 90 i bought 25000 comics when they were cover price for $1.00 i was able to purchase them at half off cover. i thought for sure they would be worth a fortune and retire at 62 and live off the collection. looks like i will be working till 72 use the comics as depends at my old age. thank goodness for my career and the federal government. i did put in my app earlier as a walmart greeter
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I bought and collected a lot of the key stuff back mid eighties...spent maybe 17 k during that time period total. I have at least two separate books in my collection in the 10 k range alone 35 years later so....problem with stocks and such is its all easily monitored and taxable.
To my eye comics cannot be beat as a vehicle to invest in...trick being timing and choosing the right mix of books. Just my own view .[/quote

I have piles of greenbacks for shows, there are no shows and no one wants to handle greenbacks these days. I guess they are a curiosity now. Always prefer cash deals, even the espresso chick has “card only” on her booth.
How did I get in your dialogue box?
Computers, they will never catch on!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector chefcomics private msg quote post Address this user
i should add i did purchase at least 25 copies each of
new mutants 87
amazing spiderman 358-362
green lantern 48-50
uncanny spiderman27-283
xmen 4
a side note
those 1200 valients and 700 "shiny covers" need to some day pay there share of space, heating and cooling share lol
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not considering relying on my comic books to pay for my retirement, but I would like to use it to supplement my retirement if needed. I think a few hundred books in the $100-$1,000 range will be nice and easier to turnover.

If I need to sell big dollar books, $10K and up, in my retirement then it better be for a brand new car or home, otherwise I didn't do a well enough job saving for my retirement.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Retirement? I'm relying on my wife. Or maybe one of my kids. Also mom and dad can't live forever, so they might pitch in a bit posthumously.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp
It's almost as soft as Charmin!
Post 46 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
I think for most of us, we wouldn't have had the discipline or the foresight (or the money) back then to buy just the stuff that was top of the charts in the Overstreet guide and sit on it for 50 years. I know I would have absolutely dumped my comics during the late 80's comics craze cause that's what I did!

Anyways, fun to pretend.

I found a site with some interesting calculators to compare.

$10K invested in S&P 500 (adjusted for inflation, capital gains, reinvested dividends, not touched since 1971 accumulates to about $707,302

$10K would get you 33 copies of mint (8.5 to 9.2+) Action #1 which was $300 at the time for a mint copy (there was no such thing as That's worth about $70 to $90 million today.

Anybody got a time machine?

I don't have a time machine but I did have the foresight to take good care of the roughly 2,800 books I bought between 1984 and 1994.

I left collecting around 1994 and came back into the hobby as a dealer when my mother moved to California in 2009 to be with my brother's children. It was much easier to stay away from comics when storing my collection was easy.

The learning curve involved with selling comics has been a long one but it has been rewarding.

I have many comics now that seemed out of reach beforehand.
Post 47 IP   flag post
600874 47 22
This topic is archived. Start new topic?