Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversComics Silver Age

Anyone relying on their comic collection to pay for retirement?11812

Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
I was just browsing through a copy of overstreet price guide #1 I pulled out from hiding. I wonder how many baby boomers are still sitting on a cache of old comics they've had since their teens. Even adjusted for inflation, 1971 prices for books were nuts. I wonder how well someone would have done if they spent $10k in 1971 on grail comics and $10k on the s&p500 or DJIA.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
That's a cool artifact to have, I hope you post more pages. The supply-to-demand ratio 49 years ago was just so different than today. Unlike Gold, you can't mine more historical key comics out of the Earth. Supply of old comic books has done nothing but shrink for 49 years while demand has done nothing but grow. I also imagine 3rd Party Grading gave a huge boost to value by adding confidence and consistency to the high-end comic market.
For decades after 1971 those who were in the industry had such a huge information advantage over casual collectors who were not in the industry. I would be surprised if there were very many more valuable collections that haven't been sniffed out and bought up by resellers over the years.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Let me know what you want me to look up! I might even try to figure out how to rotate the damn images. There are still caches of books out there I think, just rarer to come across. Boomers born in the mid fifties are retiring now and would have been old enough to take advantage of these prices. I bet there are still a large number of 70 year old comic nerds sitting on piles of books they don't want to sell even though they might be worth millions!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I'm a little confused on the photos. One shows Amazing Fantasy 15 for $16 in mint ($12 in good!). The bottom photo shows a much higher price with a much more realistic spread between good and mint.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
NO
Post 5 IP   flag post
Oh, I know why... Because I had been taking pictures of this little cutie just before I started looking through the #1

Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Retirement? No.

It’s nice to have stuff I can sell in an emergency, though.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Not relying on no, but it never hurts to have eggs in as many baskets as possible against that day.

Multiple avenues I can lean on for retirement. I do have books I have bought as investments to ease the time when I do get that age, for sure.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Even though I will be relying on my 401k, pension and Social Security for retirement, I do consider my comics as an investment and could be sold in retirement if need be. A baby boomer myself (1961)I have been buying and selling comics for only the past 3 years and am currently at a 69% profit of books sold versus price paid. Trust me I didn't make that in the stock market. Currently my comic collection is self funding, so if I want to buy a book I have to make sure I have funds in my PayPal account. Best part is I buy what I love and only buy higher grade keys in order to keep the collection liquid. Nuff said..
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have any good books for retirement purposes anyway, so unless someone wants high grade full runs of Alpha Flight, Excalibur, Punisher War Journal or Dazzler, I'll be using my 401K, Roth, and selling things that fall off the back of trucks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Not relying on it, but my collection is a piece of the puzzle along with pensions, 401K's and 403B's, savings, house/property, stocks and investments, social security, etc. So I consider it a small portion of my assets, and think of it kind of like the cherry on top.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Is that overstreet 1st edition signed by Bob Overstreet? Would you like to part with it? Hit me up if you do.
Post 13 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Not relying on the collection but it's part of the equation. There's a variety of other accounts and investments that make up the lionshare of retirement funds but comics have its place. It's really the reason why I grade all my books that are worth while grading. If and when I sell or my kids sell, graded books will liquify that much easier.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Old price guides are fun and frustrating at once.

Not relying on comics for retirement, which is fairly well in hand. However, once I’m gone, they’ll make a nice windfall for my daughter or any theoretical grandchildren.

I’m not sure it’s fair to compare investment strategies, though. It’s easy to think about what kind of wealth you’d have if you spent $10K on $16 copies of AF15 50 years ago, but you’d have to apply that same hindsight benefit to past stock purchases.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
Yes and no, I'm in a unique situation though as my shop relies on the investments. With little overhead and little debt, I 'd come out OK. To be honest I don't want to retire. I'll end up working at my shop til my mind starts slipping.
Post 16 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
lol... no.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
Hey if anyone interested I have a half dozen Overstreet price guides from the early nineties I would part with for a fair price. Just send me a private message and I'll let you know which ones I have. Nuff said.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
As to the question at hand, definitely not! My personal library is just that. Besides, the way the world is going right now, it wouldn’t surprise me if I have to work until I die.
Post 19 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I doubt if I could live off the sale of my collection...but they
do bring me a lot of enjoyment now during my retirement.

Marty
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Stantheman private msg quote post Address this user
Yes I plan to retire in 6 months by selling my 1000 copies of :

Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@Stantheman if you market them as affordable TP you might have something there!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Comics are currently helping me pay the bills.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
"Anyone relying on their comic collection to pay for retirement?"

If I did, I'd probably have a ton of comics I'd care nothing about.

For the most part, my collection consists of comics I'll still love to own if the hobby crashes again. I'm fortunate to not have to sell in order to buy, so my grandkids will likely get them, but if our retirement proves not enough.., Well, I'll cross that bridge when we get there.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector maynard23692 private msg quote post Address this user
I am. Well in about five years anyways. I just put the plan into motion two months ago, the reviewing and grading and selling stuff part. The collection was a on and off love for fifty years.
Post 25 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@maynard23692 love to see those books! 🍻
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I know old timers who are living well off their comics in their basements, have for 20-30 years. But that was their only job, so do they ever retire?
I created an investment fund of keys 12 years ago, still sell crap on EBay to fund an occasional key or lawn mower. I did retire (quit) in November, but I have always been lucky and live fine off stocks. Day trading is a trip, man. So far anyway.
Good to have multiple investments IMO
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
the comics books not really...but a few pieces of OA? maybe
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
I am!

As long as my retirement is only for the weekend AND I don’t go anywhere.

I consider my comics to be extras. If in 20 years, I’m retired and want to sell some, I’ll have some extra cash, but I’m not counting on it.

There will be a few dozen I’ll keep forever, to pass on to the kids, and some are important to me so I might just be buried with them.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
I am!

As long as my retirement is only for the weekend AND I don’t go anywhere.

I consider my comics to be extras. If in 20 years, I’m retired and want to sell some, I’ll have some extra cash, but I’m not counting on it.

There will be a few dozen I’ll keep forever, to pass on to the kids, and some are important to me so I might just be buried with them.

A custom made coffin looking like a long box (or short box, idk- We never met ) would be cool.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601310 47 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?