Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

THE THREAD THAT KILLED ALL CORONAVIRUS TALK.11811

Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
The death tolls made me have more meltdowns too so I don't look at that anymore
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town you stay safe too. Everyone for that matter!

Everyone should practice their mask, gloves, distance, and use disinfectant wipes/sprays more than you did the first time around.

This round might be worse then before.... I don't want you guys or any of your families to fall victim to this plague.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
It freaks me out just thinking about it I have already had five meltdowns this month I do the masks hand washing like crazy
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
Plus hand sanitizer
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
Like i said im more vocal then I used to be need to give away those doctor who to uncle rick that is a triggure too.
Post 80 IP   flag post


Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
Just venting it feels good to talk about it.
Post 81 IP   flag post
Thick Skinned OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
@David_Kent Hang in there bro, we'll all get through this together!
Post 82 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks og buddy.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Thick Skinned OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
.
Post 84 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@David_Kent hey man. I freak out too. Everyone does but don't admit it. Trust me. I don't know if you're a religious fellow, I am. Talk to God, ask him to help calm your nerves. While doing this, (probably best you do this in your bed right before you go to sleep) so you can close your eyes, pray, talk to God, breath slowly and calmly. You will feel better.

I can see that you need someone to talk to and you're reaching out here. I hightly understand what your going through. I wife does hemodialysis everyday (except Saturday and Sunday) but that means her immune system is a higher risk. So, trust me when I tell ya that I know what you're feeling.

What you can also do is take supplements to boost your immune system. (It also will help boost your mental state.) Order these online through Walmart cause some of these supplements are only found online.

I take these daily:
Vitamin D 4000iu - Bone & Immune Heath
Vitamin C 1000mg - Antioxidant & Immune Support
Zinc 50mg - Immune Health
Vitamin B12 - 3000mcg - Supports energy production, nervous system heath & Red Blood Cell formation
NAC 600mg - Effectiveness in treating Covid-19

I have been taking NAC & Zinc from the start of all this (which I suggested to you all about 1-2 months ago?)


Post 85 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
@EbaySeller What's interesting about the models is just how much they were off, and rigid they were. The models shaped public opinion and shut the country down.

Impact of non-pharmaceutical interventions (NPIs) to reduce COVID-19 mortality and healthcare demand

If you go to the link you will find the March 16, 2020 Imperial College paper on their model you will find that for the UK and the USA the model provided it states:

In the most effective mitigation strategy examined, which leads to a single, relatively short epidemic (case isolation, household quarantine and social distancing of the elderly), the surge limits for both general ward and ICU beds would be exceeded by at least 8-fold under the more optimistic scenario for ccritical care requirements that we examined. In addition, even if all patients were able to be treated, we predict there would still be in the order of 250,000 deaths in GB, and 1.1-1.2 million in the US.

What's great about this paper is how it lays out all the assumptions: what we know, what we think we know (and why), and what we don't know.

Recall, earlier in the pandemic we had no idea how many infections were asymptomatic. This paper states that:

"Analyses of data from China as well as data from those returning on repatriation flights suggest that 40-50% of infections were not identified as cases12. This may include asymptomatic infections, mild disease and a level of under-ascertainment."

Later, as we learned more, it seemed that the number "not identified" was closer to 80% - 90% of the total ... meaning the number of confirmed cases was only 10% - 20% of the real total. Since then, we have done a number of population survey studies, in order to try and ascertain the number of asymptomatic cases. The LA County study of 863 adults shows a surprising number have SARS-CoV-2 antibodies, indicating that confirmed cases represent only 4% of the total. That is, 4% instead of 50%-60%.

This means that the assumption, based on data from China, that said 1/2 of patients are asymptomatic, really should have been 1/25. So, you take the results of the optimistic mitigation strategy of 1.15 million deaths, divide by 12.5, and you get 92,000 deaths in the US.

As we just passed 64,000 deaths, and we are adding more than 2,000 per day, that is a remarkably accurate assessment. It may even be low, given that the number of dead due to Covid-19 is largely undercounted, based on simply looking at how many have died in the last two months, as compared to the number of deaths we would normally expect for this time period. This is the "excess deaths" measurement for pandemics, which is the only way to really capture the full effects. (And even THAT may be low, considering how social isolation reduces traffic fatalities, accidents, etc.)

Here is an overview of the excess deaths studies performed so far, and all the complications for both overcounts and undercounts. These results suggest the true number of Covid-19 deaths is more than twice the current tally.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Collector Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
My suggestion is to speak to a doctor before taking supplements. However, if you are going to take supplements regardless, perhaps a daily multivitamin might be a better route.

1. It's cheaper than buying a bunch of individual vitamins.
2. Individual vitamins vary in intensity and everyone is different in terms of metabolism. Keeping track of multiple pills is a pain in the butt.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@David_Kent Yeah. As @Btonte stated, ask your doctor before taking supplements/vitamins if you want but most not all, of the vitamins I recommended are also in multivitamins. You can also ask a pharmacist.

Also to help keep your sanity buy yourself a Blood Oximeter from Walgreens ($39.99). If you by chance start getting symptoms but you start to freak out because allergy symptoms can be exactly like Covid-19, you can always check to make sure your oxygen is in normal range. 90 or below is considered low.

And just periodically check your oxygen levels. Because if you start to panic yourself, anxiety can also cause you to get numb feeling hands, legs, face, tightness in the chest etc. which will make your anxiety worse cause you will think something is actually wrong, when it's all in your mind.

The Blood Oximeter is your safety blanket. Here's the one my wife and I use:

Post 88 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kent
Just venting it feels good to talk about it.
that's what we're here for. Collectors that love the comic hobby, that are actually down to earth guys that really care for one another here. We're just one big dysfunctional family.

Things will be alright man.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@David_Kent Yeah. As @Btonte stated, ask your doctor before taking supplements/vitamins if you want but most not all, of the vitamins I recommended are also in multivitamins. You can also ask a pharmacist.

Also to help keep your sanity buy yourself a Blood Oximeter from Walgreens ($39.99). If you by chance start getting symptoms but you start to freak out because allergy symptoms can be exactly like Covid-19, you can always check to make sure your oxygen is in normal range. 90 or below is considered low.

And just periodically check your oxygen levels. Because if you start to panic yourself, anxiety can also cause you to get numb feeling hands, legs, face, tightness in the chest etc.

The Blood Oximeter is your safety blanket.


Also, whether supplements or multivitamin, be sure and go the natural route, not synthetic. Natural will cost more, obviously.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller




Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
Meantime while some make light of the virus in New York, here is the reality


That's a disappointing statement. It's a Straw Man and it's troll bait. Just because people in other parts of the country want their right to pursue life, liberty and happiness does not imply that they are making light of the situation in the New York area.



Since you chose to make your rather poorly considered or researched accusation at me, I will respond directly.
In the postings above it was stated.....

".....Even the states that have had more cases than others never had their healthcare system overrun to the point there were not enough ventilators. "

Obviously ventilator useage does not indicate death tolls, mortality rates, nor the fact that creamatoriums are running night and day while bodies are being loaded with forklifts. Using a single statistic to attempt to undercut the severity of the virus and its effects on New York is literally as stated....my comment was neither a straw man nor troll bait, and you need to pay more attention before accusing others .

Yet another example...this.
"The USN Comfort left NYC a couple of hours ago. It left NYC after treating a total of 182 people. It was in NYC for a month. (I am glad that 620 doctors, nurses and other crew members are returning to the homeport in Norfolk, Virginia). All the field hospitals that were erected have been taken down or will be mothballed soon. Why?"


Nevermind the mission for the US comfort was similar to the one shared by other Naval Hospital Ships in handling medical procedures and outside measures that were needed, to free hospitals up directly from handling other cases and allowing them to focus on the pandemic victims. Suggesting the ship did little, was not needed or treated so few is an attempt to belittle the struggle of the real life heroes of the New York medical profession who have battled night and day with little resources, and against profound odds to save lives. Get it? Cherry picking data to fit an argument is the Straw man here, rather than calling someone out for it.


Because the distancing measures, and steps taken in closing the city and state down entirely slowed the epidemic and the death rate was not as high as projected, does not mean that more than 30,000 people dying in a single month in a single american city is not serious or should be downplayed.

I responded to what was posted, your comments are poorly considered, and suggesting that what I said was "troll bait" or a "straw man" it can only be inferred you failed to follow the thread , or are yourself attempting to troll.
Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Tonight, 8pm COVID Is No Joke - 5/1

Some of the biggest names in comedy are coming together tonight for Americares' "COVID Is No Joke" virtual comedy fest. (Sia’s also performing because why not?) The event will feature a mix of stand-up, sketches and meaningful messages to raise funds for Americares’ COVID-19 response. You’ll be able to catch Jack Black, Will Ferrell, Mindy Kaling, Chelsea Handler and lots of other funny faces during the livestreamed fundraiser.

clickable text


Post 92 IP   flag post
Collector Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
There are also lots of free mp3s available on Amazon and you tube if you want to look for nature sounds or meditation videos.

I had a coworker who enjoyed listening to them while working as it helped deal with stress....
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
The best of the rest:

All weekend The National Theatre’s production of Frankenstein featuring Benedict Cumberbatch (Marvels Dr. Strange) as Victor Frankenstein and Jonny Lee Miller as the creature went live at 2pm today and is available for the next week. Also available for the next seven days? A cast-swapped production with both actors in the opposite roles. Compare and contrast. clickable text

Today, 5pm #FBF vibe out to old school hip hop with Lord Finesse of Diggin in the Crates during his one-hour-long DJ set on our Instagram to start your weekend.

Tonight, 8pm Oprah Winfrey, Julia Roberts, Rob Lowe, Josh Groban and more are participating in the 24-hour Call to Unite livestream, which kicks off at 8pm at unite.us, as well as Facebook, YouTube and Twitter.

Sunday, 4pm The perfect cure for Sunday scaries? Diplo. The DJ keeps the party going with another energetic set on Columbia Records' Instagram. clickable text

Monday, 12:30pm We’ve got a lunch break strength and conditioning workout for you! Forty-five minutes of total body work with 305 fitness trainer Bryan Rivera. It’s a tabata-inspired class focused on muscular endurance work.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like comic stores are expecting to start getting new comics (I assume they mean from everyone, and not just indies/DC) on May 20. My LCS doesn't expect to be open so they'll be mailing everything via subscriptions on their website.
Post 95 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kent
Just venting it feels good to talk about it.
that's what we're here for. Collectors that love the comic hobby, that are actually down to earth guys that really care for one another here. We're just one big dysfunctional family.

Things will be alright man.

It helps me to remember the numbers. As bad as it is, it only seems awful because there are SO many people in the US, in the world, and even a small fraction is a lot of people.

But really, the latest numbers indicate that only 4% of the infected even show symptoms. So chances are, even if you get it, you won't even notice. And of those, only 20% will have to go to the hospital. So even if the worst happens and you get infected, it's only a 1 in 125 chance you'll get really sick.

Also, doctors on the front line have told us, it's a lot easier to protect yourself than we previously thought/feared. Taking reasonable precautions, with hand washing, a mask, regular sanitation practices, social distancing, all really works well.

Plus, we are getting so much better at treating this thing, so quick. There's the Israeli therapeutic that reduces the immune system over-response, giving the body time to heal. There is the anti-malaria drug remdesivir from Gilead Sciences that has shown promising effects as an anti-viral medication. Blood transfusions seem to really help, and they are also looking at anti-body-infused plasma. There are eight vaccines already in clinical trials, and some 100-plus in the pipeline.

The whole world of science is on this. We are gonna crush this thing.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Kent
The death tolls made me have more meltdowns too so I don't look at that anymore
The death toll is staggering when you take the time and effort to realize each number, is a life, each single figure another person we have lost.
A quarter million dead around the world in maybe 3-4 months and it likely isn't over if the virus rebounds as expected or there is in fact a second wave.
More lives here in America than were lost in the Vietnam war which lasted years...inside a three month period.
I have hope that a vaccine is found, and that it becomes readily and fully online for people, rather than just the priviliged, rich or well connected.
My source of calm and self gentling in it all is my cats...they dont mind the extra attention, petting and affection shown them and find ways to return it...no act of love shown any animal is ever wasted or forgotten. I fear for them as well, now that we know the virus can be spread to both cats and dogs, apparently
Post 97 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
If this one is political remove it and move on, but I have been wondering something myself about the programs and aid being given the american people in replacement of work wages.I belive the question is more economic related myself.
As I understand the loan forgiveness program created for small business and the unemployment thing being given for those out of work, it seems to suggest that while out of work , people would be paid for their time regardless. I dont question or care to comment one or the other way about that topic itself but...
What I am curious about is...take the bus driver, the fireman, the doctors, the grocery workers, all required to report to work each day and risk their actual lives , (not being dramatic) literally risking their lives, to see that things continue as they should. Not only are they required to continue working to get their wages, while everyone else theoretically gets paid, but they are being required to risk their own lives to earn while others are paid to sit and wait it out.
Do you think there is fair reason to suggest that essential workers should be paid a premium in the stimulus being provided based on that model? They aren't being allowed to sit at home, draw their wages and stay safe, and yet are working for the same wages as they would have been given anyways.
I think the 25,000 dollar idea that was floated earlier on is far too extravagant, but is their some merit to that system at a lesser cost perhaps?ANyone have a take there?
Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
Sounds like comic stores are expecting to start getting new comics (I assume they mean from everyone, and not just indies/DC) on May 20. My LCS doesn't expect to be open so they'll be mailing everything via subscriptions on their website.
I noticed MCS is slowly working their way back into things, and sending out purchases, etc. I was surprised to see some of the books I have over there consigned finally appear in the system as well.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town I don't think they should get paid extra pay. They can recieve the stimulus checks like everyone else but, they shouldn't get premium or hazard pay.

The reason I say this is because, the groups of people you used as examples put their lives in danger everyday regardless. Police, soldiers, firefighters, even bus drivers and the like could die at anytime whether there was a virus or not, yet people pay grown people millions to play kid games (sports).

Our priorities have always been backwards when it comes to risk vs reward.
So why give extra compensation when no one cared from the start that they are putting their lives on the line and still making so little.

Just my opinion. Not looking to debate. 😁 at this time.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
No I wasn't asking for a spirited debate, just seeing how others view it. For myself, I am hard pressed to understand how nurses, grocery workers, and bus drivers are daily risking their lives in some way that compares to the potential now to be exposed.
Thanks for offering your opinion Gana!...…………..I also find the wages music stars, and sports figures get is ludicrous
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector David_Kent private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks gana will look into what you said.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Collector xkonk private msg quote post Address this user
Both sides of the aisle (so I guess it isn't political?) have discussed an essential worker pay bump as part of whatever next stimulus bill comes out. I personally would be for it.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Since everyone here has been a great support to me while I've been dealing with my health issues that I decided I'd share this news with you all. The physical rehab facility/nursing home that I now live in, informed me late this afternoon that we have our first covid-19 resident. This person is segregated on a separate floor that is now dedicated to covid-19 patients. The staff are all taking extreme precautions with the residents. I've been encouraged to wear a mask when other people are in my room. They provide masks. I am getting some more masks from my exwife and I am ordering a neck gaiter from Walmart (along with the 4 Allegiance Arts comic books due out next week). I'm not extremely worried, but like they say, shit just got real.

To top it all off, the local paper, The St Cloud Times reported that the New York Times named the city I am in as the number 1 spot for the next outbreak to occur. I've watched the numbers grow this past week and it just exploded here. Most cases are in meat processing plants, but that is of little comfort.

Be careful everyone, you can bet I'm going to be careful!!!
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

Not sure this place can survive without your steady hand. Please be safe and take care.
Post 105 IP   flag post
341306 230 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.