Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

High grade key, or multiple lower grade keys?11802

The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
I have gone both routes and both had their positives and negatives.

That said, I have always found, in anything I collect, that the hunt is half the fun, so more books, more fun!

There is also something to be said about high end keys. I loved owning major key books, but if you needed money quick, you USUALLY had to take a hit on price if you have not held it for a few years and the market is not at it's strongest. My second copy of Action #1 was sold because we just had a baby and I had quit my job. If I did not need to sell it, I could have got about $20K more by waiting for the right buyer (which takes a lot longer). That was 1997, the profit today would be so much higher.

Once again, buy what you love and can afford and you can't go wrong.

All that said, the best thing about our great hobby is the amazing friendships we make. I have had some friends in this hobby for over 30 years and I would not trade them for any comic.
Post 26 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sborock
My second copy of Action #1...

Ok, Steve... Now you're just BRAGGING! 😂
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Here’s another thing to consider if you find yourself in a situation where you need to sell:

Level of interest in the market/speed of sale.

If you have a premium grade sought after key with nice paper quality, interest will be high. People will make FMV offers much more readily because, who knows when another one will hit the market? Even then, will the cost have jumped in the meantime?

If it’s a low grade copy, there are more out there. Ease of access lessens the sense of urgency for the buyer. And with the market pool larger, you may have to sell below market to catch a Buyer’s attention.

This is a moot point with a Mega Key like Action 1 or Tec 27, but it’s something to consider for most books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

And we all hate you a little bit now. 😀
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
As for the original question, my answer is both. Hear me out.

For some comics/series I collect, I put a premium on condition. I want the best copy I can possibly manage. Covers featuring Catwoman fall into this category for me. FF, ASM. I may accept a lesser quality placeholder in some circumstances, but I’m never satisfied with it.

For other comics/series, the simple having of them matters more than the condition. I still have standards, of course, but for Tales to Astonish, Tales of Suspense and others I’m perfectly happy with, say, upper mid-grade.

This way I can still pursue books I want when money’s a little tighter while keeping my eye out for those things I want in perfect shape.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

Bragging rights come with the comics LOL!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCovers
Quote:

And we all hate you a little bit now. 😀

If ya knew me better, you would hate me more! I just pretend to be a good guy while under my hood revels me to be DR DOOM!
Post 32 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Quote:

Bragging rights come with the comics LOL!

I can't argue with that.
Post 33 IP   flag post
601333 33 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?