Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

First appearance question11801

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Out of curiosity, has a first appearance of a character ever gone down appreciably in value because the changes in the character make it drastically different than the character who first appeared?

My example is Shuri from Black Panther.

In the comics, she’s the same general age as tchalla, she’s a warrior and takes over as the panther.

They are changing her character to that teen, techno-wiz like in the movies.

I’ve got her first appearance, but I’m wondering if they alter her character a lot, is it still considered her first appearance?

My gut says it is, but I wanted to leverage the power of the group.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Are we talking in terms of changes to the character in comics or their movie representations?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
Are we talking in terms of changes to the character in comics or their movie representations?

Comics, but good question because the movie version is apparently driving the change to the comic version.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
I would think most changes to the characters end up only being temporarily. Of the top of my head, I can't think of too many big changes to a character that I liked.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Out of curiosity, has a first appearance of a character ever gone down appreciably in value because the changes in the character make it drastically different than the character who first appeared?

My example is Shuri from Black Panther.

In the comics, she’s the same general age as tchalla, she’s a warrior and takes over as the panther.

They are changing her character to that teen, techno-wiz like in the movies.

I’ve got her first appearance, but I’m wondering if they alter her character a lot, is it still considered her first appearance?

My gut says it is, but I wanted to leverage the power of the group.

I've wondered this myself, usually when thinking a change to Wolverine is due- Something like a mutant mushroom coming into contact with a young Logan, absorbing everything about him until the real Logan is discovered, launching the true 1st appearance next year before the reboot 2 months later. Something like that.

Anyway, I'd hope real comic book fans wouldn't be so swayed by a film or even a lame reboot (sorry for the redundancy).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Perhaps someone with an account to one of the price tracking sites can look up the history of "Sgt Fury and his howling commandos" #1. That is the first comic appearance of Nick Fury. You really can't change a character too much more than what they did to him. Samuel L. Jackson first portrayed him in Iron Man in 2008, so you'd have to see what the prices were a few years before than.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like this book still does well...

Post 7 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Perhaps someone with an account to one of the price tracking sites can look up the history of "Sgt Fury and his howling commandos" #1. That is the first comic appearance of Nick Fury. You really can't change a character too much more than what they did to him. Samuel L. Jackson first portrayed him in Iron Man in 2008, so you'd have to see what the prices were a few years before than.

At least they let him keep his tally-whacker.
I assume.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks @the420bandito. So, based on one example, it looks like a major change in the character for the movies doesn't change the value of the first appearance comic. So, that single factor doesn't mean much for an established character. But on a fairly new (2005) character?? I'd say all bets are off the table. I personally doubt it will decrease the value of the comic, but if the new Shuri takes off ... who knows.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Thanks @the420bandito. So, based on one example, it looks like a major change in the character for the movies doesn't change the value of the first appearance comic. So, that single factor doesn't mean much for an established character. But on a fairly new (2005) character?? I'd say all bets are off the table. I personally doubt it will decrease the value of the comic, but if the new Shuri takes off ... who knows.

Perfect example!

Yeah, and we obviously have a small sample size, but I’m inclined to think it doesn’t matter.

I think how the MCU Avengers are more like the Ultimates, but Avengers are what are hot and not the Ultimates.

You’re right, though. We don’t know what the future could do.
Post 10 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
It depends on what portrayal of the character becomes the most popular. Lady Deathstrike, for example, had her first appearance as Yuriko Oyama in Daredevil #197. No one cared. She got all Reaver-ed up in the Mojo-verse by Spiral and appeared in Alpha Flight #33 as the new cybernetic Lady Deathstrike and that's the "first appearance" that really sells.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Illyana Rasputina is kind of weird like that. My memory isn't the steel trap it once was, but didn't she go from a child to a teenager (with powers) over the course of one issue?
Post 12 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Illyana Rasputina is kind of weird like that. My memory isn't the steel trap it once was, but didn't she go from a child to a teenager (with powers) over the course of one issue?

First appearance as a child, GSX #1. She appeared later named in X-men 145 - 146-ish when she was kidnapped by Arcade. In X-Men 160, she went from child to teenager after being trapped in Limbo.

Her first appearance as Magik is debated between Magik Limited Series #1 and New Mutants 14 which the cgc labels as her first appearance as Magik.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector TexasNoob private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard

First appearance as a child, GSX #1. She appeared later named in X-men 145 - 146-ish when she was kidnapped by Arcade. In X-Men 160, she went from child to teenager after being trapped in Limbo.

Her first appearance as Magik is debated between Magik Limited Series #1 and New Mutants 14 which the cgc labels as her first appearance as Magik.

Yeah, that's always been a head scratcher to me. I'd guess UXM 160 and Magik 1 for the bigger keys as a no brainer. Even UXM 171 for first soul sword.

Well, GSX 1 is the bigger key, but I guess it has one or two things going for it already...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Johnny, where are your buccaneers?
Johnny: Under my buccan hat.
Gotlift private msg quote post Address this user
Lets look at G.I. Joe... in 1951 Ziff Davis put out a Edition during the Korean War called G.I. Joe..
the characters name was actually Joe.. with the G. I. I guess referencing General Infantry..

Then in 1965 Showcase #53 (DC) came out with a G.I. Joe Edition which is kind of listed as a 1st appearance..
though CGC and CBCS doesn't seem to list it a 1st appearance just as G.I. Joe

Then in 1982 Marvel came out with a G.I. Joe Edition .. Evidently G.I. Joe is considered a common name for a regular soldier something like Kilroy in WW-2 So there isn't really a 1st appearance of G.I. Joe
just names of characters 1st appearances..

Ziff Davis #10 (actually #1) G.I. Joe..

DC's Version of G.I. Joe

Then Marvel's G.I. Joe (considered the Real American Hero)

Post 15 IP   flag post
I guess characters changing isn’t as rare as I thought.

Seems like the X-Men are responsible for a few of them, too!

I might need to get X-men 160 and 161 now.
Post 16 IP   flag post
598060 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?