Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPComics Silver AgeRaw Comics For SaleSignatures

How the heck do I figure out what something like this is even worth?11773

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
After watching the Dynamic forces Kirby Fiasco no, I definitely would not be accepting a COA. Was rather sad and disappointing

I think that event really destroyed whatever confidence there were in COAs before then.

Personally, I'd get a a great high def picture or scan of the front page and send it in to be verified and graded. I get what the people are saying about not slabbing it, but I can't help but wonder how many of them would say that if they were selling it. Like it or not, if you want to maximize your selling price, you really need the signatures verified at the very least!!! I would do the grading to ease anyone's concerns that it might be restored, touched up, and complete. The actual number of the grade is of little consequence in this case, imo.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll keep my opinions to myself.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
signature review through BAS

Alright, done. $30 for them to check Joe, Jack and Stan

Will let you know how it turns out!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I think that was very wise, if those three come back legit why not go all in at that point for sure!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by agamoto
Quote:
signature review through BAS

Will let you know how it turns out!

Yeet-yeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Head
I’ll keep my opinions to myself.
otay
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
That’s cool. I have sent in books with multiple signatures and only got one or two verified. (CC Beck is one) As they are on the inside, the aliens will be surprised there are more signatures when they crack it open, centuries from now.
I prefer inside sigs anyway
Post 31 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Stupid question.
Doesnt CBCS offer imaging the book for a cost? Why not have them do it and that way the pics will forever be tied with graders notes? Youd never lose the pix.

Assuming that's how the process works....

Edit
Kinda pricey at 300$ but could be worth it depending on how much the book is worth.

Maybe see if the next percentage off sale applies to this service?

Post 32 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Honestly, I think verifying three signatures is probably more than you need. People fake signatures, sure, but I've never seen where they fake more than one on a single comic. And you get a couple of them verified, there's really no reason to think: Well, these others could be fake.

As far as selling it, I'd think about getting it graded by CBCS but not slabbed. Maybe do the raw grading? Then, in theory, it's easier to open, see the sigs for any buyer that is interested. The main draw here is the signatures, not the comic; but the grade gives them assurance on the comic, too, which is still a Silver Age beauty.

Of course, you want a qualified grade, because you don't want the unverified signatures to count against the grade. That undermines the whole point of the grade, in this case. I guess CBCS has a qualified option? Not sure.

Anyway, that's a great book! Sorry to hear you might have to sell it. Heritage Auction or ComicLink might be the way to go, with a specialty item like this. (I LOVE ComicLink, but payment can take up to two months, depending on the timing.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

If you can be patient, maximize value yourself. If you need the money quickly, add that documentation to the COA and sell it to someone else who has the time to press and slab. Maybe find someone local who can clean it first. I'm just not sure how relevant the condition of the book is to the final selling price. Seems the real value is in the signatures.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:

If you can be patient, maximize value yourself. If you need the money quickly, add that documentation to the COA and sell it to someone else who has the time to press and slab. Maybe find someone local who can clean it first. I'm just not sure how relevant the condition of the book is to the final selling price. Seems the real value is in the signatures.

Was about to make a similar point. If agamoto is in a position of needing to sell the book, he can’t really maximize the value. The book needs a press and clean, sig verification and slabbing to get there, which will take months.
Post 35 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I think theres a $5 off per sig verification right now at CBCS....expires end of April if I'm correct.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Welp, I shook the magic BAS 8-ball and it says "unlikely" for the three samples I provided.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear that, must have been a shock. I would still be very surprised if they are not legit but unfortunately they probably won't be verified.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Welp, I shook the magic BAS 8-ball and it says "unlikely" for the three samples I provided.
Not the best you could have hoped for . At least you aren't out almost 200 bucks and the time waiting for a verification that would have likely failed for the three.
Post 39 IP   flag post
I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I can always send it back for a full refund. It's just difficult to accept their quick take when their full verification service passes things like this... Not only labelled incorrectly, but some pretty iffy and varied Jack sigs all in the same book!

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Sorry it didn't pass verification, but the Kirby sig looks off to me. The letters in Kirby are all over the place.

Quote:

See, these four look authentic to me. Textbook late 1980's Kirby sigs.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Maybe it was signed just before Roz took over? Lol, I've already sent it back for a refund.

In other "how the heck do I value it" news... I have this:

Overstreet price guide #1 first edition, signed by bob overstreet. This one comes with a Ted Hakes COA for the bob sig. Looks lovely, super high grade.

Now how much would you pay?

But wait!! There's more! What if I told you it was a genuine original cover signed by Bob, but married to a coverless #1 first edition?

NOW how purple would your label be?
Post 42 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Wait a minute ... you've already got it back and it failed ALL the verifications? Wow. Where did you buy that fraudulent piece of trash?
Post 43 IP   flag post
Not quite, I submitted pictures to Beckett's signature review service. Just the ones for Joe jack and Stan. They don't pass or fail anything, for 10 bucks a signature they tell you whether a signature is likely or unlikely to pass a full certification. The seller is Chaucer Auction in the UK. They said the book was authenticated by Gary King of Autographica in the UK, but it's Beckett back here in the usa I need to worry about pleasing. Chaucer honors returns, so back it goes, but I'm still out 69 or 70 bucks for sig review and shipping.
Post 44 IP   flag post
600891 44 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?