Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkCBCS Signature VSPComics Modern AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

Stan Lee. Rose City Comicon. Photos are UP1174

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

You may ZOOM IN on any photos as I am hosting them on my site, www.kaptainmyke.com. (shameless plug)

I went to Rose City Comicon today. I drove for 3 hours from Seattle at 5am and got there by 8am. What started off fine became sketchy at 10a when VIP holders like myself lined up and nobody who worked for the con knew where to go or what to do. I received my VIP package and this is what was inside:

Have to be stamps. That old man did NOT sign that perfect signature imo. Or the table full of 500 items signed by him, such as POP figures, posters, prints, and the like.

Also in the package was these 2 exclusive variants, apparently:

Limited to like 2000 copies each worldwide?

The scanners would not work either. I was told my 10 autograph tickets would be scanned by Stan's handlers. I get to the front of the line. They tell me and the others we have to go back and get the printed out autograph tickets by the counter where the VIP packages are. (Where we WERE) We walk back there to the VIP table. The scanner isn't working. Says the tickets are all already scanned.

It's now 11am. Stan Lee has to leave and go do the photo op at 11am. Bye! Come back at 1:30 after Stan has lunch.

I went to hunt down Stan Sakai. I didn't have a map or a program. Nobody game me one when I passed 3 doorways. I found him finally.

Stan Sakai signed comics:

1987 Mirage Studios TMNT One-Shot Special TURTLE SOUP, signed by Usagi Yojimbo creator and legendary cartoonist STAN SAKAI at the Rose City Comicon in Portland OR on Saturday, September 10, 2016.

1986 Mirage Studios TMNT One-Shot Special DONATELLO micro-series, signed by Usagi Yojimbo creator and legendary cartoonist STAN SAKAI at the Rose City Comicon in Portland OR on Saturday, September 10, 2016.

1992 Mirage Studios TMNT #44, the first appearance of Usagi in a Ninja Turtle comic book - signed by Usagi Yojimbo creator and legendary cartoonist STAN SAKAI in GOLD at the Rose City Comicon in Portland OR on Saturday, September 10, 2016.

1985 Epic Comics, GROO the WANDERER #2, signed by creator Sergio Aragones and now signed by Usagi Yojimbo creator and legendary cartoonist STAN SAKAI in GOLD at the Rose City Comicon in Portland OR on Saturday, September 10, 2016.

2 sets of Stan Sakai influenced action figures (one set is for sale):
1991 TMNT Space Usagi Yojimbo MOC UNPUNCHED Signed by Peter Laird and now signed by Usagi Yojimbo creator and legendary cartoonist STAN SAKAI at the Rose City Comicon in Portland OR on Saturday, September 10, 2016.

This one is FOR SALE for $110 shipped with plastic case

1989 TMNT Usagi Yojimbo MOC UNPUNCHED with ruby headband signed by Usagi Yojimbo creator and legendary cartoonist STAN SAKAI at the Rose City Comicon in Portland OR on Saturday, September 10, 2016.

This one is FOR SALE for $125 shipped with plastic case

I linger around 12:30 and ask a lady to scan my autograph tickets at the VIP table. They. all. work.

It's now 1pm. I cut in front of everyone and say, "It's okay. I know what I'm doing."

I get my books signed. I ask the handler (who looks A LOT Like ROMITA SR LOL) to be extra careful with my detached cover 1963 original Amazing Spider-man #1. He asks where I'd like it signed. I tell him, "In the middle". He leans over and gets in Stan's face and shows him directly within inches where to sign the very precious and very fragile book. He signs it just fine. I sigh a major relief. This book is like glass.

The next 10 are in a pile. Starting with New Mutants #1 est. 9.4 with Rob Liefeld's signature in the center. Stan smears his signature with his sleeve when he lifts the book and hands it off.

Next? Amazing Spider-man #300. THE 300. He signs it at a weird janky 45 slant starting 90 degrees then it's like they turned the book for him in mid sign or something. It's not bad. But it looks...odd.

Then I had him sign Defenders #1 Volume 4. Terry and Rachel Dodson signed it, and Matt Fraction while Stan was off making shadow puppets at the wall during photo ops. He signed it a little crooked and janky but it's there. I sighed a little relief on that one. There you go! 4 signatures!

Then I proceeded to put my books away as others are getting signed and passed off.

ASM 129 1st Punisher, signed by Stan Lee and Gerry Conway

ASM 122 Death of Green Goblin , signed by Stan Lee and Gerry Conway

and ASM 121 Death of Gwen Stacy , signed by Stan Lee and Gerry Conway

Again, he signed them okay but the signatures are... janky.

The rest of the books he signed okay but they are just...off.

1966 Amazing Spider-man #1 Golden Record Reprint WITH record, VF

1966 Amazing Spider-man #1 Golden Record Reprint WITHOUT record, FN

1979 Marvel Premiere 47 1st and origin of ANTMAN now signed by Stan.

a better closeup:

1981 Avengers Annual #10 First ROGUE, First Madelyne Pryor. Signed by Gerry Conway inside front page, and now Stan Lee on the cover:

Honestly, If I wasn't there in person I'm not so sure I'd be able to verify them. Reminds me of other posts on this very forum as I'm sipping coffee in the morning I was like, "nah, I'm not so sure that's a real Stan Lee, brah". Now I get it. To whoever that was: Yep, it probably was his signature.

In the middle of all this when I was told to take a hike I did meet Stan Sakai and he signed my mint on card Peter Laird signed Space Usagi Yojimbo action figures and original release figures, a set of 2 of them! 4 total! And he signed all his Ninja Turtle appearances in any of the comics (4 total) and Groo the Wanderer that was also signed by Sergio Aregonnes. Stan did pencils or inks I think if I remember correctly. It was a pleasure to meet him. CONFIRMED: Stan Sakai himself told me Usagi Yojimbo is coming back to the new TMNT cartoon and the new TMNT toy line. Just as I said!

Next I met Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner. This was my first time meeting both of those 2. That was a pleasure and they double signed my Gamestop Exclusive Harley Quinn comic.

Jimmy in gold, and Amanda in Red:

She signed her Before Watchmen books for me too.

@DarthLego I bought a Art Germ TMNT Batman variant

and 2 blank sketch cover Walking Dead #100.

I am going to do my own versions of zombie TMNT themed sketches on them.

I bought some SWEET and very rare apparently FRENCH bootleg Ninja Fighter Turtles

and a loose Lee Falk Phantom action figure too! I can't find him anywhere online or ebay because of the unpainted shorts

I'll post photos tomorrow when the sun comes up and after bed I'm super tired driving straight back home from Portland back to Seattle same day.

I had fun but never Stan Lee again. Ever. Probably a bad idea I went against those who warned me and I didn't take the advice about Stan Lee signing your books. You should take the advice.

I'm actually worried that CBCS won't verify my signatures. What will they do with the partially smeared Stan Lee signature? I'm sure that effects grade but then you start splitting hairs on whether or not an autograph vandalizes or degrades a comic book, right?

I enjoyed meeting Stan Sakai and Amanda Conner x100 times more. I think I'm just going to go back to my turtles.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
...And still more reasons not to get your books defaced with signatures.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson

I gotta ask and I mean this with no argumentative tone or anything. Just curiosity. I've seen you in multiple threads really against autographs completely. Is it because you think the comic art should be preserved or just not a fan of autographs in general?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydknight
Quote:

I gotta ask and I mean this with no argumentative tone or anything. Just curiosity. I've seen you in multiple threads really against autographs completely. Is it because you think the comic art should be preserved or just not a fan of autographs in general?

All of the above and much more.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I collect and sell autographs. To each their own. I know many disagree but that is what makes the world go round!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
@TruckJohnson Fair enough. To each their own.

@kaptainmyke Haven't really sold anything, but I do enjoy autographs. However, there are certain books where the cover is just so much better when slick and clean so I've opted out on autographs. I suppose I could just get the inside cover done though. Also, good luck on your drive! I drove back from Rose City as well today and mine was much quicker than your drive!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydknight
Quote:

All of the above and much more.

How do you feel about splash page sigs?
Post 7 IP   flag post
A signature in ink on a splash page at least is less intrusive, less visually jarring, and in my humble opinion doesn't disrespect or take away from the beauty of the artwork on the cover. Nevertheless, if you offer me a 9.8 Hulk 181 signed by Stan Lee on the cover, and a 9.8 Hulk 181 with no sig -- I'll take the unsigned book every time.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@TruckJohnson Some autographs look okay. But I've seen some books that Stan Lee had absolutely no part in with his signature on it. I've seen many Hulk 181s with his signature on them, and it just doesn't make any sense to me. Herb's and Len's signatures are okay, but why would anyone want Stan's signature on that issue? I've also seen head sketches on Hulk 181s. I also think that looks a bit tacky.

Something else to consider is acid in the ink. I've read stories that long term that may have ill affects on the comic cover.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@TruckJohnson Haha. Looks like we were thinking the same thing.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
...I've seen some books that Stan Lee had absolutely no part in with his signature on it.

It's a bit of a stretch, but the owners can claim they had Lee sign their MARVEL comic book.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
...I've seen some books that Stan Lee had absolutely no part in with his signature on it.

It's a bit of a stretch, but the owners can claim they had Lee sign their MARVEL comic book.

Sure. But I saw a CGC graded Batman Adventure #12 with Stan's signature on it. 😑 That is just ridiculous.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:

Sure. But I saw a CGC graded Batman Adventure #12 with Stan's signature on it. 😑 That is just ridiculous.
So someone jumped on this idea. https://youtu.be/m562EplQI1Y
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
So someone jumped on this idea. https://youtu.be/m562EplQI1Y

There's another thread where I discussed a friend that does that exact thing so he has unique items
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Did you have pictures of the signatures?
Post 15 IP   flag post
I'm about to take pictures right now actually
Post 16 IP   flag post
If you don't mind, please share.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
For a short while, I was a fan of signed on the cover books. But the fad wore off quickly.

It seems to me, that with few exceptions. Getting signatures on books is all about selling them for a profit. Which I don't have a problem with. I would like to sell every comic book for a profit eventually. But the signed stuff seems to be for IMMEDIATE profit. (again, with some exceptions by those who just want that connection with actually meeting a celebrity)

I would get a cover signed now, but only on a rather modern book. Or an older book that is basically a reader. There is no way in hell I would get a Batman 227 in 9.4 signed on the cover. I might get it signed on the bottom of the fist page. But them, in a slab it is almost useless for enjoying.

I am done with getting signatures. But to each his own. To me, it is like hunting. If I had to feed my family and I could not get food any other way, I would shoot a deer. But I'll be damned if I would shoot a deer for a trophy. Why shoot a deer if you don't have too? Why mess up a beautiful comic book with scribbling on it?
Post 18 IP   flag post
Photos are posted. It's the day after. Maybe I was being too harsh and too tired last night? Today they seem not so bad. Unless I just entered into some sort of acceptance phase LOL
Post 19 IP   flag post
I'd like opinions on the verified signature program with CBCS on how they handle a slightly smeared New Mutants 98 Stan Lee.

The day after I can attest that many Dynamic Forces labeled Stan Lee signature books have that same weird "S" and "t" so as he gets older he might want to think about a signature step in. I know Dr McCoy's wife from Star Trek for 10 years signed his name for him and many Trekkie's accept this as his own hand.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Lou52 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I know Dr McCoy's wife from Star Trek for 10 years signed his name for him and many Trekkie's accept this as his own hand.

But you wouldn't expect CBCS to accept her signature as his, would you? IMO that would help ruin the integrity of the VSP program.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
This whole conversation is making me think. I have a beautiful copy of teen titans 44. Best in my collection. I've been holding out to grade it until I can get wolfman and Perez to sign it. I am starting to wonder if I should just get it graded and leave it at that.
Post 22 IP   flag post
High risk high rewards brah
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I think Stan needs to retire from signing, his sig is super janky now.
Post 24 IP   flag post
I think they will still pass. I'm more worried about reselling Deadpool tho
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector huskershawn69 private msg quote post Address this user
Cool stuff, thanks for posting the pics
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector AznBane private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego I could be wrong but isn't this his last year for convention signing? After that I assume just private signings.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@AznBane I certainly hope so, Dude needs to retire to a beach house with a hot housekeeper and enjoy himself and stop wrecking books.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thank you for sharing the pictures.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
With all due respect to the OP and others; how can you criticize Stan when you are the ones who decided to get your books signed? I empathize with your frustration with the organization but he has no control over that, or much of anything for that matter. What do you expect when a 93 year old signs hundreds of times, twice a day in a matter of an hour or less? Sure he does it all the time but the majority of his signatures don't look that great in recent years and everyone knows that. Stan loves his fans but the only reason he is still signing anything is because he wants to make people happy, take care of his family and support his charities. Stan's legacy is priceless and I get the appeal of having "Stan Lee" on a comic; I have a few of my own. I just think we need to be a little more understanding here.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601260 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?