Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Writer/Artist/Celebrity Meet & Greet Memories11733

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
How about we share memories of meeting Writers/Artists & Celebrities at Cons & otherwise?

I’ll start with Marc Andreyko.

I had taken a hiatus from collecting from the late 90’s to early 2000’s. When I was gifted a box of books from a friend, it reignited my interest.

I stopped in at the closest LCS (40 minutes away, cuz I grew up in the middle of nowhere) and picked up a “Wizard” Magazine. Inside was a tiny blurb about a new reboot of the ‘Manhunter’ series.

I went back to my “local” shop and found the first few issues and was hooked. The dialogue was smart and natural. The art was awesome as well. He’s the first Writer I started to follow, over time, I filled a short box with his work.

In April 2011, I attended WonderCon. It was supposed to be a one-day trip for us. Then I found out that Marc was going to be there the next day for a signing.

I stayed over night at a friend’s place so that I could go back the next day. He was super nice seemed genuinely surprised I wanted a pic with him. This was my first Yellow label I ever got.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Kevin Eastman

Post 2 IP   flag post
Lou Ferrigno

Post 3 IP   flag post
Jim Lee

Post 4 IP   flag post
Chuck Liddell

Post 5 IP   flag post
Wrightson

Post 6 IP   flag post
George Perez

Post 7 IP   flag post
Rob Liefeild

Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
George Perez

I'm having difficulty spotting George in the pic.
Post 10 IP   flag post
@OGJackster Any particular fond memories from meeting any of those cool cats?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Here’s a fun one. The wife and I met Adrienne Barbeau a couple years ago at a our local Con. She was super sweet.

I distinctly remember a very creepy dude being ahead of us in line. He was talking about her in like third person while he told her how hot she was in this one movie. He had a tough time picking which 8x10 photo to have her sign.

She talked to us for quite a while and was kind enough to sign my Swamp Thing POP! figure.

Post 12 IP   flag post
@00slim All of them were very nice and friendly. One of the nicest and sweetest people I met was Crystal Gayle. What a sweetheart!

Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
I met Michael Turner at SDCC in 2005 (I think it was) back when you could still buy a ticket at the show the day you wanted to go. Those were the days. Anyway, I had him sign a book for my girlfriend at the time who was/is a big Turner fan. Turner was a super nice guy and it's a shame he's gone so soon. I'm very glad I took the time to meet him. The ex still has the book to this day.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector bige31 private msg quote post Address this user
Hands down meeting George Perez. Drove from Dallas to Memphis for my bachelor party. Are some awesome BBQ got drunk and bought comics. What more could you ask for. Plus he was so awesome.

Donne cates was cool as well real down to earth.
Post 15 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Rob Liefeild

That's Rob Liefeld alright. No feet.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@00slim All of them were very nice and friendly. One of the nicest and sweetest people I met was Crystal Gayle. What a sweetheart!

Don't it make your brown eyes, don't it make your brown eyes, don't it make your brown eyes blue?
Post 17 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
Quote:
George Perez

I'm having difficulty spotting George in the pic.

I'm hoping George is not the one experiencing a wardrobe malfunction.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
One of the coolest creators I met at NYCC 2019 was Dan Panosian. It was early in the day and he was already working on a commision. He stopped and smiled when he saw the Bucky Barnes issue. He said it was a fun project for him goofing up an already goofy cover. When he saw the Secret Wars issue, I told him how i remember when the subway was like that. He laughed and he showed me the prints he had for it and dared me to find the difference b/w the prints and the cover. I didn't see any- but i did like how he included a blonde, a brunette and a redhead ^_~. Then he pointed out how the issue has DeadPool holding a burger. The print has DP holding a Rubik's Cube. He said Marvel legal was concerned about copyright and such so they made him change it. He then pointed out some things he hid in the graffiti - Thor's Hammer, his initials, his wife's name. So he made a quick signing into a 20 minute chat with fun stories and gave me good memories about him and his work.

And good thread topic @00slim thanks for giving us a place to share the pics & memories

Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
I've had a few. Had lunch with Steven Spielberg and Morgan Freeman when they were filming "Amistad" here in Bristol RI where I Live. It was 1997 (before selfies!) and at the time their staging area with catering was directly across the street from my Police station. I walked across (Suit and tie Detective at the time) and waited almost at lunch time near the Catering area. A clean cut guy came up to me and asked who I was and why I'm in a suit and looking like a cop (ha!)..I iD'd myself and he smiled. He ID's himself. He was Spielbergs Asssistant/Body Guard - retired LA PD Detective. We chatted for a while and he invited me in . It was awesome. Food was fantastic . Morgan was cool !Steven does NOT read any scripts or ideas any fan sends him due to possible future lawsuits. We chatted about Jaws, ET and DUEL. He does sign autographs. I'll dig them out as well as Morgans'. I met a lot of celebs in my capacity as a Police officer but this is my all time favorite. Ray
Post 20 IP   flag post
Here are my autographs from the above mentioned lunch.Enjoy!Ray

Post 21 IP   flag post
Oh ya..had another fun one..a movie showing and the star of the show appearance.3 hours with Batman-Adam West for 3 bucks!Ray

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Have met quite a few over the years, but not so many beyond a handshake and a nice to meet you.

The biggest exception would be Neil Gaiman, when he came to my LCS for a signing - pretty sure it's while I was still working there. This was before he was particularly famous. I'm not sure if Sandman had even started yet. The shop owner and I chatted with him for quite a while before the signing and several of us took him out to dinner afterward. Nice guy. Obviously long before cell phone cameras, but there are some pictures somewhere - I just don't have them.
Post 23 IP   flag post
600823 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?