Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Cover Contest Round 3: "The Horror"1169

Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to Round 3 of the UNOFFICIAL CBCS weekly cover contest.

A theme will be chosen each week, participants must find a comic book cover that fits the theme.

- One entry per person
- Must be a real comic book in circulation.
- Magazine size books are ok also.

Each week we will vote on who had the best cover.

- Friday begins the new contest
- Wednesday at 12noon EST is the cutoff and voting will begin and go through Thursday.
- Please vote through the built in "Thumbs Up" system

The winner will choose the next theme and begin a new thread.

- In the event of a tie, the deciding factor will be if your photo was of a book in a CBCS slab.
- Re post these rules in your new thread to keep them easy to find and for new folks who want to play.

The theme for week 3 will be "The Horror". Zombies, Skeletons and Creepy crawlies. We all have a favorite cover from one era or another.

- DO NOT VOTE FOR THIS POST, this is not my entry.
- The 3 books below will go to the winner of this weeks contest.
- If you want the books winner pays $5 bucks shipping, (International shipping might cost extra.)

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector hawk_guy private msg quote post Address this user
The horror? Clowns...clowns.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
@MR_SigS Oohh. A spider with a humanoid skull. That one will be tough to beat. 🕷+💀=🏆
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Hexigore private msg quote post Address this user
Can someone point me to the thread that gives directions on how to load pics? Thanks.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
one of my more recent purchases...

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
One of my favorites. Love the movie, love the book series.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user

Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Let's try something without zombies, skulls, or killer insects.

Post 10 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, wow. This is a hard one. Horror? Definitely Wrightson. No, wait ... Mignola. Everything that guy does is horror. And wonderful.

Or maybe some classic Neal Adams? Like Detective 408, or one with Man-Bat or Deadman, or even Batman 227. (Or maybe go further, with the original Detective 31?) Do I pick just a great cover, or, instead, a decent cover that represents a great story? (Like Afterlife with Archie?) And I found some nice ones by Adam Hughes, like Fairest #7 ... creepy. Soooo many to choose from.

Finally I decided: great horror cover art AND a great story. And one I bought off the rack, too...

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Oh, wow. This is a hard one. Horror? Definitely Wrightson. No, wait ... Mignola. Everything that guy does is horror. And wonderful.

Or maybe some classic Neal Adams? Like Detective 408, or one with Man-Bat or Deadman, or even Batman 227. (Or maybe go further, with the original Detective 31?) Do I pick just a great cover, or, instead, a decent cover that represents a great story? (Like Afterlife with Archie?) And I found some nice ones by Adam Hughes, like Fairest #7 ... creepy. Soooo many to choose from.

Finally I decided: great horror cover art AND a great story. And one I bought off the rack, too...

I also have this book and reading it back in the 80's had my jaw hitting the floor.

I mean, how do you describe the images in this issue. You actually have to start with a few pages from the issue before in the locker room to.

Funny thing is, I didn't buy any issues after that one. I have the entire run up to that issue. I felt that was it, a perfect ending to a good run and anything else after that would be a let down.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Lou52 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarzola
Quote:

I also have this book and reading it back in the 80's had my jaw hitting the floor.

I mean, how do you describe the images in this issue. You actually have to start with a few pages from the issue before in the locker room to.

Funny thing is, I didn't buy any issues after that one. I have the entire run up to that issue. I felt that was it, a perfect ending to a good run and anything else after that would be a let down.

You should at least get #16, it's the last Moore issue and wraps up Book III.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
So many horrific covers from Deadworld.
Issues 1-9 were through Arrow then moved to Caliber Comics at the end of 1988 and ran through 16 more issues (making the first volume a 26 issue run)Another 15 issue volume started in 1993 through Caliber again when the first hit the 26th issue.
In 2005, image Comics printed 6 issues for Desperado Publishing. Joe Pruett worked at Caliber after leaving for Marvel and eventually starting Desperado (So that's the connection and this is 10 years before he will start Aftershock Comics with Mike Marts)

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
So many horrific covers from Deadworld.
Issues 1-9 were through Arrow then moved to Caliber Comics at the end of 1988 and ran through 16 more issues (making the first volume a 26 issue run)Another 15 issue volume started in 1993 through Caliber again when the first hit the 26th issue.
In 2005, image Comics printed 6 issues for Desperado Publishing. Joe Pruitt's worked at Caliber after leaving for Marvel and eventually starting Desperado (So that's the connection and this is 10 years before he will start Aftershock Comics with Mike Marts)

I totally forgot about Deadworld. The art work was weird and I totally didn't like the whole smart motorcycle zombie thing but the gore was defiantly there.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@roarzola

It's definitely not for everyone but if you're a horror/gore aficionado, this is a series you should definitely give a shot, if not just for the cover art
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I'm going with my favorite TWD cover.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Post 18 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
So, how does the voting work? Do we only vote once, or do we up-vote all the covers we like?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego i see your TWD #100 and raise you #128. Lol.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
So, how does the voting work? Do we only vote once, or do we up-vote all the covers we like?

One entry per person and only choose one to vote on. Voting ends Thursday night.
Post 21 IP   flag post
CBCS JSAmand private msg quote post Address this user
Bought this one off the stands, and all the ones after it...

Post 22 IP   flag post
@JSAmand nice choice. I almost used that one for my pick.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector PINKFLOYD private msg quote post Address this user

Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
My favorite book from my personal collection. Walking Dead #19

Post 25 IP   flag post
@rickdod3 my family and I love some TWD. Cant wait for the show to start.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 27 IP   flag post
@Helric1 now thats a cool cover.... nothing like a chain saw to the fore head... lol...
Post 28 IP   flag post
Hello everyone, The submission period for this weeks contest is closed now. I was hoping for a little more participation but it is what it is. I thank everyone who joined in this week.

With that being said voting is open til tomorrow night. Even if you didn't submit please still vote via the "Thumbs Up" system.

Thanks again.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
Hello everyone, The submission period for this weeks contest is closed now. I was hoping for a little more participation but it is what it is. I thank everyone who joined in this week.

With that being said voting is open til tomorrow night. Even if you didn't submit please still vote via the "Thumbs Up" system.

Thanks again.

It was a great contest idea! I had fun with it, hopefully there will be more people participating once the ball has been rolling for a bit longer.
i just voted.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597945 37 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?