Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Novice question about possible tampered slab11660

Collector TexasNoob private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all, long-time lurker, but never posted before. I just got my second ever CBCS slab from an eBay seller, and I wanted to pick more experienced brains to see if this is normal... The case had a flexible openness to the side of the case and kind of an abrasive feel. I initially thought that maybe it had been tampered with and sent the seller a less than nice refund request. The top and bottom parts of the slab don't look popped, and I read that the sides aren't always completely sealed(?).

I was able to fit my finger in. Is this normal and I'm overreacting? If that is the case, I owe this dude an apology email...

Post 1 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
That's normal.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
Yep. Normal.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Yup, its normal.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks a ton.

Looks like I have an apology email to write. But much better feeling than the alternative...
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Yep apology needed, good on you for being able to send one.
Post 6 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
@TexasNoob and Welcome aboard!!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNoob
Thanks a ton.

Looks like I have an apology email to write. But much better feeling than the alternative...

Post 8 IP   flag post
Gracias,

Not the first time I've had to eat crow, and probably not the last. Not too bad with a little sirachi...
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
"The inner holder, along with the CBCS label is then inserted and sealed into CBCS’s cutting-edge, tamper evident outer case."

This is how CBCS describes their holder on their web site. Its a fair question to ask about why the sides flex and open, when CBCS says they are sealed. To figure it out through second hand chat boards isn't an optimal way of educating customers.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Welcome to the false accusations club. I've been a member since 2018 and was surprised with my first CBCS slab as well.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Gracias,

Not the first time I've had to eat crow, and probably not the last. Not too bad with a little sirachi...

lol!! you're good man! Its easy to see why one might think what you thought.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Thanks a ton.

you have a way with words,lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
I showed my wife and she was so happy for me she started to cry. Batman66 private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, not a big fan of the cbcs cases, I'm hoping the new ones are more rigid. Minus any Newton ring effects. When I first got back into comics I bought a counterfeit hulk 181 off of OfferUp. When I got my hulk 181 back from cbcs, there were some defects that a press and clean could help. I never had it cleaned or pressed before. So I had this idea to see if I could remove the hulk 181 and save the case. It's kind of scary,I've never tried it before and I'm sure with practice it could be done better but I took the counterfeit 181 and inserted it into the bag and case. Now I have a pretty expensive kickass wall hanger. But now when I buy slabs, I really inspect the cases to make sure I didn't buy another counterfeit
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector chefcomics private msg quote post Address this user
i am the ebay seller texas noob is referring to regarding the xmen 4. first kudos to him for being honest and taking the time to research the slab. after his firm and direct email i checked the other 40 copies and they are all the same. They have that slit on the side. thanks for the apology
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector chefcomics private msg quote post Address this user
p.s as you can tell by "chefcomics" i am a real chef and i suggest a a frosty dark IPA to get down the crow............especially the beak
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefcomics
i am the ebay seller texas noob is referring to regarding the xmen 4. first kudos to him for being honest and taking the time to research the slab. after his firm and direct email i checked the other 40 copies and they are all the same. They have that slit on the side. thanks for the apology
Hey, thanks for being very chill about it. Sorry again for the issue!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
What a small world, congrats to both for working this out.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hooray for a happy ending.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I admit I do NOT like the fact that this can be done to their slab. Way too easy for someone to damage an edge, making it a 9.4 and then trying to sell it as a 9.8
Post 20 IP   flag post
601294 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?