Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comic Book Day of the Year Calendar11632

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2451 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Bonus cover:

Post 2452 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2453 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

mm
Post 2454 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2455 IP   flag post

Collector ShallaBal private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2456 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2457 IP   flag post

Post 2458 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 2459 IP   flag post

Post 2460 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Bonus cover:

Anyone else remember Allen Funt and Candid Camera?
Post 2461 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo - Candid Camera was a staple at our house while growing up.
Post 2462 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

Anyone else remember Allen Funt and Candid Camera?

I remember when it was still "CANDID MICROPHONE".

Marty
Post 2463 IP   flag post

mm
Post 2464 IP   flag post

Post 2465 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Are we still allowed to use algebraic expressions or was that for a limited time only?

345 = (359 - 15) + 1

Post 2466 IP   flag post

Post 2467 IP   flag post
Jim Shooter's first work in comics.

Bonus beater:

Post 2468 IP   flag post

mm
Post 2469 IP   flag post

Post 2470 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Jim Shooter's first work in comics.

Bonus beater:

I've thought about getting my copy signed by Jim Shooter as well. I would have to send it to him as I doubt he will ever make to the Canadian east coast.
Post 2471 IP   flag post
@Maritimer - He's a very nice guy to talk to. From what I had read about him, you would think he'd be pretty unapproachable as he reportedly butted heads and rustled feathers at a few places. When I saw him a few years ago at a convention, there was not another person waiting to see him, so we chatted for like 10 or 15 minutes. He even had a couple of binders with him with artwork from various people that he had worked with and some copies of comics too. At the time, he did not charge for his autograph. In fact he said that he didn't believe he should, since he was being paid to appear there, and especially since he was mostly an editor. He also said that he didn't consider himself an artist (but he's listed as an artist on Adventure #346 and on several other issues), claiming that the inkers did all the work to make his work look presentable.
Post 2472 IP   flag post

Post 2473 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
347 = 221 + 94 + 32

Post 2474 IP   flag post
Quote:
... He also said that he didn't consider himself an artist (but he's listed as an artist on Adventure #346 and on several other issues), claiming that the inkers did all the work to make his work look presentable.

Right, Adventure #346 was Shooter's first Legion issue, and the story's penciled art is his, but heavily "finished" by Sheldon Moldoff. That story was really the one Shooter truly drew; as a fan he'd drawn the story on his own, and sent it to Weisinger, who was impressed by the storytelling. Weisinger bought the story and had Moldoff work on it, making it presentable for publication. This was the start of Shooter's tenure as the Legion writer.

As a teenager writing the Legion series and other DC stories, Shooter would write his scripts in comic book format--that is, panels, drawings, word balloons, captions--instead of in the typical typed script format. Since Shooter drew his scripts, the Legion pencilers, usually Curt Swan, could use Shooter's drawings as a "guide"...though of course Swan would make changes and made the art "100 times better" (as Shooter has said). In some books about the Legion, such as TwoMorrow's Legion Companion, there are reprints of some of Shooter's art, and you can the differences in what Shooter would draw and the actual finished product by Swan, Pete Costanza, etc. However Shooter is still credited as the layout artist for those issues.
Post 2475 IP   flag post

Post 2476 IP   flag post

Post 2477 IP   flag post

Bonus cover:

Post 2478 IP   flag post

Post 2479 IP   flag post

Post 2480 IP   flag post
596799 7794 30