Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Comic Book Day of the Year Calendar11632

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1401 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1402 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1403 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1404 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1405 IP   flag post

Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I guess Thor gets poked on the nipple every time he tries to lower his arms from those loose constraints.

Post 1406 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1407 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

That cover is hilarious! Why is everyone against singles?
Post 1408 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1409 IP   flag post
@GAC - You would have to read the story, which starts off with a night on the town with Batman being announced as one of the prizes for the newly crowned Queen of Gotham at the Gotham Beauty Awards Contest. Even worse, Batman is described as "the most coveted male in Gotham." This issue, similar to Batman #210, tried to tap into the growing woman's lib/feminist movement of the time (1968/9). Of course if you look at it today, doesn't the cover come off as the opposite of empowering women by saying women should or even need to get married? The late 1960's were a crazy time, and I guess they couldn't show women burning their bras on comic book covers.
Post 1410 IP   flag post
@esaravo It most certainly does come across that way...based on the cover alone it seems to be advocating for domestication women needing men. I was born in '71 so I missed the excitement of the 60s.....burning bras on the cover would certainly have made a statement lol! Another example though of comics trying to be relevant and reflective of their times which I applaud.
Post 1411 IP   flag post
On the topic of 1960s publishers attempting to be relevant to the changing social norms, my friend Michal Jacot made a point that summed it up so perfectly that I will never forget it. He basically said that Stan Lee/ Marvel came across as hip and cool, like one one of your friends, while DC came across more like your dad trying to act cool in front of your friends 😂.
Post 1412 IP   flag post

Post 1413 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1414 IP   flag post
I was going to post Superman 214 which I recently acquired but decided to keep going with the Superboy and the Legion covers. I doubt anyone else has these in their collection.

Post 1415 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1416 IP   flag post

Post 1417 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1418 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1419 IP   flag post

Post 1420 IP   flag post

Post 1421 IP   flag post

Post 1422 IP   flag post

Post 1423 IP   flag post

Post 1424 IP   flag post

Post 1425 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1426 IP   flag post
For some reason, this cover makes me think of DD #131.

Post 1427 IP   flag post
This is the first appearance of Tyroc, one of DC's early attempts at introducing an African-American super-hero. I can't recall the details but Mike Grell wasn't happy with how the character was portrayed or his power set, so designed the worst costume he could think of. I'd say he succeeded.

Post 1428 IP   flag post

Post 1429 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1430 IP   flag post
596773 7791 30