Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPSignatures

Rare & Hard-to-Find VSP/ASP Signatures116

Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon

THANK YOU FOR SHARING! This is an example of why I started this thread. That is incredible and on an early Spidey issue! Did you take the pictures and get the signatures? I would love to hear about meeting Steve and Stan back in '78. Is that Ditko with the pipe? Which convention was this? What are your plans for this book?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks! Glad you liked it.

The show was a tiny con at West Virginia University circa 1978, MonCon II. The fellow with the pipe is Harlan Ellison. This was back in the days when those guys would be just sitting at a 6’ folding table to sign, no handlers and with time to chat. Later in the weekend they each gave an address. One of these days I need to see if I can find the recording I made on my portable Tandy cassette recorder.

It’s my understanding that Ditko only made a few appearances at fan events/shows in the '60s before never doing it again. That ASM was purchased with the signature already there probably around ’77-’78. My plans for the book are the same since purchased: keeping it happy and snug next to my other Spideys in the short box.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
I apologize in advance, this is a big one. I think I'll ask the mods if they can allow spoiler tags to toggle stuff like this.

Dude awesome Turner sigs... Which just reminded my i have one! And with Civil War coming out... im thinking i should VSP this book sometime.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector mr_highgrade private msg quote post Address this user
The Ditko signature is sweet.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Muaythaiguy private msg quote post Address this user

Present by my wife
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Soma Yeah, I'd definitely VSP that book! I might start VSP-ing some of mine like one or two at a time.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector hunter private msg quote post Address this user
Here is my C.C. Beck on Captain Marvel #58

Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Iceman private msg quote post Address this user
I plan to eventually crack and submit this for VSP. Drew Hayes on I, Lusiphur #1. Not sure if his sig is rare necessarily, but don't think he had many authenticated sigs either.

Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Harlan Ellison

Post 34 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Harlan has pretty much retired from conventions, but we used to hang out and visit at some of the SF and early media shows. I guess I've known him since around '72.

One of the last times we chatted was at an Aggiecon (Texas A&M University) about 15 years ago where we were among the guests. It was particularly memorable because we were requested as voice auctioneers for the charity auction that year. We both liked acerbic banter and on occasion would unleash it on the audience to boost sales. Harlan used to be the master of the sarcastic one-up, second to none.

Somewhere I've got a vintage autograph from Harlan where he'd agreed to draw a little alien carrying a flag for anyone on request. The only catch, ...he got to insult you in the flag.

Thanks for sharing this, it brought back memories.
Post 35 IP   flag post
600445 35 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?