Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeQuestions

Question for Community11567

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
I am of the belief 8.5 +/- 0.5

then the raw.
Post 26 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So In summary - from the very original post, it's fair to say everyone who has commented in this thread would take the Graded 6.0 Luke Cage #2 over the Raw Luke Cage #2 (which was my original question)?

Correct?

Not necessarily. Again, I'd have examine the entire raw book not simply the front cover. Assuming all else is identical, in this case, if the raw was substantially cheaper and being sold by a dealer I trust, I'd probably choose the raw.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
I wouldnt be buying a luke cage 2 regardless, but if I were and it was not in person, I would likely go with the slab
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
I wouldnt be buying a luke cage 2 regardless

You seem to have difficulty answering direct questions of "This" or "That" without commentary. Why is that?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The only times I have bought slabbed is a couple that had minimal interest in EBay auctions that were not keys, (think Gorgo) that went ridiculously cheap. I like the buying raw, pressing, sending in, Its Christmas! game too much.
In the given scenario, I would buy the slab.(in reality I would keep looking and put the $50 towards a book that could go in the 9’s as it’s a pretty common book.)
Post 30 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Over the years I've wondered why folks pay equal or more for low value (under $50) graded comics in which there are much higher raw grades available

The answer is liquidity. The slabbed book is liquid and can be easily traded or resold for a similar price with little effort. Unless you are an established dealer with a following the raw book is very difficult to sell without going through the time and expense of professional grading. For those who wish to stay liquid, A slabbed book worth $50 today is more valuable than a higher grade book that may be worth $70 if it is put through the process of slabbing. Value, in the form of liquidity, was added in the slabbing process.
Post 31 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller now this makes sense. Finally a logical answer that's not based on emotion... thank you
Post 32 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Added to the equation is the cost of slabbing the raw book. So even though they sold for similar prices, to get the raw book comparable to the slabbed book, you have to send it in. If you're pressing, grading, paying for shipping (even shipped with others), that could add $35-$40 (and wait 6 months).

If both are $50 as is, the 6.0 is done. The total cost of the raw is actually $85-$90 when graded. So maybe an appropriate difference, making the prices each sold for legitimately equal. But maybe NOT. GoCollect has Hero for Hire 2 at $70 in 8.5. GPA says 12 mo. average $58, and sold last September for as little as $28. So the raw book is looking to be a bad deal, in this case.

Paying $50 for the raw, adding $35 to $40 to slab, and then having it worth $70 doesn't seem like a good idea. Better to just buy an 8.5 slabbed for $70 (or $28 if you are that lucky person).

The best example to examine would be 2 identically graded books, one raw, one slabbed. Did the raw sell for well below the slabbed minus $35 or so? Is so, a deal. If not, might as well buy the finished slab.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

You seem to have difficulty answering direct questions of "This" or "That" without commentary. Why is that?
You stated it was a poll "just for fun" and then began berating people who did not answer as you had expected...now you are insulting me for daring to have an opinion. Thinking in the future why would anyone bother responding to this type of trolling...thanks
People really shouldnt have to justify their opinions to you, and are not here to be chagrined for not doing as you expected they would
Post 34 IP   flag post
It's like the Roach Motel for comic collectors. chester15 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You stated it was a poll "just for fun" and then began berating people who did not answer as you had expected...now you are insulting me for daring to have an opinion. Thinking in the future why would anyone bother responding to this type of trolling...thanks
People really shouldnt have to justify their opinions to you, and are not here to be chagrined for not doing as you expected they would

Agree with @Darkseid_of_town.

And you, @Nuffsaid111, had difficulty ASKING the question without commentary: "It makes little sense to me, unless one is a pessimist in assuming there's hidden damage throughout most every raw comic sold." Not much of a poll when you preface the question with an opinion that could only be intended to skew the results.

Most people tended to have the correct answer...."it depends".
Post 35 IP   flag post
@chester15 @Darkseid_of_town

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........ mmmmm hmmmm.... right.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Maybe next time I'll ask if anyone would purchase a Luke Cage #2. Maybe I'll get a response about about a different comic.
Post 37 IP   flag post
600763 37 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?