Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Do we have any comic shop owners on the board?11559

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
If we do, can you confirm something for me?

Do they make more money off a customer buying back issues or new releases?

My guess is back issues. I’m thinking the profit margin on new comics is pretty low, but back issues they probably make about 50 percent of what they paid.

Am I on the right track?

And is there a sweet spot? Do the more valuable books give them the most bang for their buck or is it the mid-range books.

I’m asking for a reason, and I’m hope I’m not violating the one post rule here, but if I am, please delete or let me know to delete.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I know a lot of comic shop owners and from what I understand the profit margin on new books is pretty thin.

Funko Pops are not my thing but a lot of comic stores do very well selling them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Trilogycomics private msg quote post Address this user
I have owned a store in Va Beach for 39 years.
I make a higher percentage back issue sales mostly.
But I typically pay a high percentage for nicer books.
Sometimes as much as 80%
But on the flip side I have a large group of customers that only
come in for new comics and that is my highest grossing category.
That only speaks for the comic side of my business.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Briten private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I know a lot of comic shop owners and from what I understand the profit margin on new books is pretty thin.

Funko Pops are not my thing but a lot of comic stores do very well selling them.

I was good friends with a shop owner who went under. The new book margins are very thin. He made money sell CCG's like Magic and having tournaments to get people in the door.

Toys, games and other collectibles offer better sources of income. He would buy collections as cheaply as possible and then sell the books as close to guide as possible.

Back issues that he purchased had the same margin as new ones. Normally he would up price back issues by at least a dollar within a month to help make back some money.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
My son has a comic book store, he tells me makes about $800 per month net profit on new comics. They are (or were) his largest gross income item. Back issues wind up going mostly cheap eventually, so ordering the right quantity is quite important. The main thing is they bring in a lot of foot traffic. His main income is flipping things, (not just comics) on EBay auctions, and some Amazon sales, that he purchases from various sources. Now it is the only thing he is doing, as the store closed Tuesday for who knows how long. Luckily his building has his living quarters above, so the building is not just dead weight. And his mortgage is fairly cheap, and will never increase much, taxes might though. Plus he never tried gaming as a source of income, that may be dead for some time.
I helped him research when he decided whether to do the store, places with high rents that mainly specialized in new comics, tended to be the ones that folded most often. We did buy some store fixtures cheap from some going out of comic book business sales.
In my opinion, if you want to start a store, you need diversified products. Also be good at buying various collectibles, have good credit. Own your building, don’t rent. Have excellent customer service skills,
Just my opinion as an observer.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@doog

That is very cool!

I’ve kicked around the idea for one out where I live, but I can’t give up my full time job.

I’m the insurance provider for the family.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
I run a shop and find that in my area both my currents and CGC/CBCS books move at the same rate and fetch a decent profit. I watch my inventory and gauge what I will sell and how long it will sit vs how long it will not. Which is dicey, but I happen to be in a good spot with not much competition. I also hustle and offer deals to move stuff.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord
I run a shop and find that in my area both my currents and CGC/CBCS books move at the same rate and fetch a decent profit. I watch my inventory and gauge what I will sell and how long it will sit vs how long it will not. Which is dicey, but I happen to be in a good spot with not much competition. I also hustle and offer deals to move stuff.
Go ahead and plug your store. What state are you in?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
@doog

That is very cool!

I’ve kicked around the idea for one out where I live, but I can’t give up my full time job.

I’m the insurance provider for the family.

Until I quit my job recently, I had no idea how good or how cheap Obama care is. I could have quit much sooner, as I felt (erroneously) I was working mainly for excellent insurance. I am paying less than 2k per year for medical and dental for me and the wife, now. I show $42,000 per year in income now, (retirement account disbursements) as my example.
I would try the dream, you only live once.
After quitting I realized how empty my actual job, (Facilities Maintenance and Management) was, just a waste of my time on earth.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector starlord private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips its called Rocket Dog Comics and Collectibles, www.rocketdogcomics.com(but my site is currently down while I update things).
Post 10 IP   flag post
@doog

The dream isn’t dead, yet.

I’ve got a larger plan of getting debt free.

I work for a good company, make good money and get some really nice perks.

The nice thing is that it’s not too challenging and lets me pursue some other more pressing dreams.

But, once the kids are out and the house is paid off, that might be my next leap.

Thanks for the encouragement, though.

Always good to hear success stories!
Post 11 IP   flag post
600648 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?