Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Buyer beware11531

Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Well some of you may recall I had made some inquiry and discussion last year about a Halo certified Silver Surfer #1 with a witnessed signature of Stan Lee that i had bought. I did indeed send it in to CBCS for VSP, Press, and regrade. Well, it made its to dallas and I got a message that there was color touch that Halo missed. I don’t know the extent. Hopefully the signature verifies. Point is i know some are shopping in there spare time, but obviously Halo doesn’t have the chops that they suggest.
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Just curious - what's a Halo? Another grading company?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111

I think my kid plays Halo???
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Yes
Post 4 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
https://halocertificationptyltd.com/halo-cert-united-states.html
Post 5 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

They are a grading company that does most of their business in Australia &New Zealand.
Post 6 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
FYI Halo is a song by Beyonce not the game or the grading company.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

“Halo” is how I answer the phone.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Halo?

Halo, halo??

Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
Hopefully the signature verifies.

Won't it verify automatically if it was slabbed as "witnessed?"
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller It was slabbed by Halo as witnessed but CBCS does not recognize other grader’s signature witnessing programs (except for CGC pre-2019) so any time a signed book is crossed over the signature has to be verified or the book will take a hit to the grade.

Also, Stan Lee signatures can be a bit hit or miss as far as verification goes
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@EbaySeller It was slabbed by Halo as witnessed but CBCS does not recognize other grader’s signature witnessing programs (except for CGC pre-2019) so any time a signed book is crossed over the signature has to be verified or the book will take a hit to the grade.

Also, Stan Lee signatures can be a bit hit or miss as far as verification goes

That sucks. Hope it gets verified, failing verification would be even worse than color touch.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Halo is how Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails (NIN) numbers his albums.
Example:
Halo One - Pretty Hate Machine
Halo Two - Broken
Halo Three - Fixed
Holo Four - The Downward Spiral
Etc etc.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Halo is how Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails (NIN) numbers his albums.
Example:
Halo One - Pretty Hate Machine
Halo Two - Broken
Halo Three - Fixed
Holo Four - The Downward Spiral
Etc etc.

Now we're talking!!!!
We're In This Together Now
Post 14 IP   flag post
Here it is people. Freshly graded and imaged by CBCS!

Post 15 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator and a nice placement for Stans sig!
Post 16 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Agreed. Even though I am not happy with the small color touch, I am nonetheless pleased to have it in an accurately graded & VSP'd CBCS encasement!
Post 17 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here it is people. Freshly graded and imaged by CBCS!

Bro! our SS #1's got mixed up by CBCS. I got my Stan Lee signed SS #1 back and it had a grade of 3.0 and was in a different company's case. What the ...? Please PM me when and how we can make this right.

Post 18 IP   flag post
@sportshort too funny. Gotta say I am really liking the SS1 with a CBCS Red VSP label.
Post 19 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@Scifinator
I’m thinking about sending it in but since I will never sell it there probably isn’t any point. It’s already slabbed. I like it
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
@Scifinator
I’m thinking about sending it in but since I will never sell it there probably isn’t any point. It’s already slabbed. I like it

This is a good time for me to ask, does CBCS offer any kind of discounted cross-over slabbing program? If not, does anyone have experience with CGC's?
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
@Scifinator

This is a good time for me to ask, does CBCS offer any kind of discounted cross-over slabbing program? If not, does anyone have experience with CGC's?

They don't, I've asked. I don't remember who replied to my question, I think it was Daryl H.

Edit: the above statement refers to CBCS only,CBCS does not offer a crossover reholder discount.

I've used CGC but only for grading and to re-holder a broken slab.
Edit: CGC does offer a re-holder discount.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
@Scifinator

Edit: The CGC crossover promotion has not ended.
Post 23 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller

CGC has "up to" 50% off of competitor's slabs.

I submitted 2 items for cross grading recently Nova 1 and an Amazing Spider-man 194. Enclosed is the invoice for the Nova 1. I submitted it with a value of 200$ it was a 9.6 CBCS

Since I had the membership upgrade due to a NGC purchase, I have tried out a few of CGCs offerings to see how they are compared to CBCS. From grading to pressing.
One thing I notice about CGC is that they ship everything separate as they are completed. They don't ship back in the same group as what you submitted. They also rail you with a 5$ handling fee on every different submission. It feels like you get nickel and dimed to death with CGC.

I did not expedite on the pressing so it's going to be a long while. 95 days plus the 30+ for grading if I understand it correctly. So it "might" be faster than CBCS pressing. Granted, CBCS pressing has been great overall. I only had one gripe. I sent a book to be evaluated and they said it could be pressed. I got back the same grade. The book to be pressed was originally a CBCS graded book, so they had the grader notes. So essentially, I paid for an evaluation and got to pay 2x for grading, the original grading, and then the re-grading. Aside from that 1 issue, the other presses were better than expected.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Bronte So the $268 is total price for 5 books? I'm not quite sure I can decipher the invoice.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller

Essentially you only look at the first grouping and the total for that 1 book is 53.80$

A nova 1 comic, estimated value of 200$ for crossover grading, handling, pressing, and fedex ground.

As for the crossover grading being expired, it is still on their website and I just submitted this set of books less than a week ago.

Edit.

I'm pretty sure this cost was with the 10% discount from the membership I mentioned earlier.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte prob did say it would b pressed. But did they say it would bump up with a press?
Post 27 IP   flag post
@Steverogers11

Yes. I sent the book to be evaluated first before pressing to see if it would benefit from a press. There was an additional charge to do that. I think its 5$. There were other books I sent that were labeled as do not press, so it wasnt like they are afraid to say no. Btw, they put these non removable stickers on the bags that say do not press that ruin the bags. Which totally sux.

So. Yes, add 5$ for the evaluation to the cost of the regrading, non productive pressing to the cost as well.
Post 28 IP   flag post
That CGC invoice hurt my eyes.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
That CGC invoice hurt my eyes.

That invoice hurt my wallet.

But seriously, yeah, it is very convoluted. You should see the other emails they send. The emails and attachments are just as cryptic.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600794 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?