Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Question on 4 "Batman: Death in the Family" comics11529

Collector JerrySS private msg quote post Address this user
Hey All -

So, I was looking up my copies of this series, and everywhere I looked, they had UPC codes on them. Mine do not. Are these any more/less rare than a newsstand edition?

Thanks!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
No. Direct copies are likely about the
Same distribution and newsstands, however it’s typically harder to find newsstand copies in high grade. So high grade newsstands may actually have more value to collectors than the high grade direct copies.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector cyrano0521 private msg quote post Address this user
ONE thing about these...part 2 without a barcode includes the phone numbers to call for voting for/against killing off Jason Todd. Barcoded issues do not have them; one of the only books where there is an actual difference between the books.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano0521
ONE thing about these...part 2 without a barcode includes the phone numbers to call for voting for/against killing off Jason Todd. Barcoded issues do not have them; one of the only books where there is an actual difference between the books.

So if I understand the voting was only for those buying their books in a comic book store? Makes sense to keep it to the more serious collectors. Imagine today how quickly those phone numbers would get on social media and generate "kill robin" or "save robin" movements.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
For stuff like this, I always check the notes on MCS. Does this help any??

Post 5 IP   flag post
See, this is why I need you guys!

I do recall the whole toll-free number promotion, but I recall that being in ads in comic magazines, as well as comic books. I can't remember if I actually called in or not. And I am pretty sure I got these at my "Claude's Comics" shop in '88, off the rack, but truthfully, haven't looked that them or delved that deep into which variant they are until now. Thanks, guys - Appreciate it!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Did you ever notice, that AFTER you ask a question, the answer suddenly reveals itself to you?

So this book, (Part 2) was variant "C" , a Direct Edition, as there was 3 variants - UPC with 800#, UPC without it, then the Direct, according to CPG (& Drogio). Don't know why I couldn't figure this out for myself. Thanks Jesse_O for jump-starting my brain.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Personally, i’ve never seen a UPC with the 800 #s in them; if anyone has one, please post pics! To my knowledge there are only 2 versions of each of the parts with only part 2 being significantly different. Part 3 had a slight difference in cover wording, i think. Parts 1 & 2 have no real differences.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Anyone ever seen a 2nd print?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Apparently there are 3 versions (of Batman 427)

Post 10 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
1-(900)720-2660 or 1-(900)720-2666 on September 15th & 16th, 1988
Post 11 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
For stuff like this, I always check the notes on MCS. Does this help any??

I do, too, but unfortunately, the MCS notes are wrong on this one ... it wasn't an 800 (toll-free) number; it was a 900 number. It cost $0.50 per call. So it is unlikely that stories of people setting up automatic dialers and the like are true.

By the way, I called and voted to let him die off. (But only once - $0.50 was a lot of money then!) Most of us hated Jason Todd. He was an impulsive and poorly-developed character ... the "Scrappy Doo" of comic books. We were all surprised the vote was so close.

I think most of the newstands didn't have the number printed because the voting would be over by the time they got them. They had to have the voting done quickly in order to get the right issue to the printer in time. Notice the bar code covers up the part on the cover that says, "You will decide. Details on inside back cover."

What's interesting is, the bar code also covers up text on the cover for issues #428 and #429. So if you get the direct edition - which is the one I prefer for this series - then you get to read all of the text on the cover. On #428 the covered text is "Can he possibly be alive?" and on #429 it is "Or can he?"

They got Jim Aparo to do the art for these issues. He was an old hand at drawing Batman comics and could work very quickly, so the printing schedule wouldn't be too far behind.
Post 12 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Anyone ever seen a 2nd print?

No second prints that i have ever heard of.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Nice find, MM!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
601262 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?