Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Diamond to suspend shipments11525

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Diamond issued a release today saying that they will not be shipping any comics with a sale date of April 1st or later. The full announcement can be found here.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrashSmurf private msg quote post Address this user
Hope it doesn't delay the New Warriors release

Lol, I typed that with a straight face. Might of inhaled too much Internet gas
Post 2 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
@BrashSmurf

I hear that's dangerous.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Wraith private msg quote post Address this user
Damn .. wasnt expecting that
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrashSmurf
Hope it doesn't delay the New Warriors release

Lol, I typed that with a straight face. Might of inhaled too much Internet gas

Too good. It's a first appearance, right? It's automatically a key. The key of all keys for the 2020s!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Will issues that continue on I digital ever get printed ? Will be a big backlog of titles
Post 6 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Ummmmm..... this is not a good thing for the industry... short and long term. Not at all. Aye aye aye aye aye.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
SO no new books coming out anytime soon from marvel or Dc..or does it work that way?
Post 8 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user
Dang it!!!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user

Post 10 IP   flag post
Here is the email I received from MCS today. It looks like my next scheduled preorder shipment was supposed to be April 15th and I have to decide if I want to have it shipped earlier.

Post 11 IP   flag post
In regards to the MCS email I got, I'm thinking of staying positive and have them hold my order. Diamond didn't state for how long they will be delaying shipments. They might be back to normal shipping by the 15th, which is 3 weeks from tomorrow. Plus, if I order any comics from stock, I can add them to my shipment.

Any other takes on this? Any good reasons for me to get them shipped early?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the link to Mile High Comics and Chuck Rozanski: clickable text
Post 13 IP   flag post
If those predictions become true, the back issue market is going to be insane! fact is printed comics are fun to read and there will always be those who want to do so and if new books stop being printed, well.

i cant see printing stopping though, surely not. better not. i really, really want that upcoming spawn 310 cover

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Rob Salkowitz at FORBES has a (IMO) good analysis: clickable text.
The big concern is that you don't want to see the LCS community collapse: "The industry-wide fear is that the COVID-19 epidemic and its aftermath will push the number of comic shops below a critical mass where the current distribution system makes economic sense. If there are too few stores, there simply aren’t enough dollars to support the ecosystem of publishing, printing, warehousing and distribution of physical products. And it’s unlikely that large mass market retailers could fill the gap."
Post 15 IP   flag post
OK.. so how do you guys think this will affect botched orders/mail outs from diamond this week?

My LCS didnt get its full order of Spawn 306 this week ( i have a monthly pull for all covers) so im left wondering if i will ever see them or not.

Worse still, the covers are blowing up on ebay right and no other LCS stock Spawn on shelves so i cant find an alternative way to fill this month's run without spending way way more than my budget.
Post 16 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
If those predictions become true, the back issue market is going to be insane! fact is printed comics are fun to read and there will always be those who want to do so and if new books stop being printed, well.

i cant see printing stopping though, surely not. better not. i really, really want that upcoming spawn 310 cover

I already said, poor mans 174. A book I haven’t landed. I as well am disappointed.
Post 17 IP   flag post
@Wraith MCS has Spawn 306 covers A and B right now. The B is NM at $2.99 and the A is VF at $2.39. I don't know if that helps or not.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Thanks Jeese

Ive got A at my LCS.. and sourced B by calling around..

D is the one that concerns me... ( look at those ebay prices.)

normally the LCS would put in a notification to diamond of their missed order and the book would be in hand in the next week. But not sure what happens with the shut down.

sigh.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Comic Book Retailers Struggling After DIAMOND Pulls Plug on New Comics
clickable text
By Vaneta Rogers, Newsarama Contributor
March 25, 2020 01:30pm ET

With Monday’s announcement that Diamond Comic Distributors will be suspending delivery of new comics as of April 1, comic book retailers across the country are expecting to shut their doors.

And most believe publishers should not release content digitally until the direct market returns

Digital Conundrum

“I think this needs to be a pause for all comics, regardless of format — meaning no new comics for digital retailers either,” said Benn Ray, owner of Atomic Books in Baltimore, Md. “Otherwise it gives them an unfair advantage and makes any books stalled in the pipeline utterly unsellable, not to mention turning this into an opportunity to cut shops out altogether and get more folks to buy digital comics.”

“Digital release will keep the comic readers interested, but it won’t put any money in the shops that provide these collectibles and a source for parents to keep their kids off the iPads or computer 24/7,” said Luis Nieves, owner of Aegis Comics in Alaska. “Our customers, many of them eBay sellers, can no longer support their hobby by flipping a digital copy. The removal of the physical print copy disrupts this ‘geek echo system.’”

Ryan Seymore, owner of Comic Town in Columbus, Ohio, feels torn on whether publishers should release comics digitally while shops are unable to get new product.

“On one hand, material will still be getting into the hands of readers, which is good,” he said. “The downside is this may be the first step to phasing out hard copies all together. We need to keep readers interested and engaged at almost any cost.

“Both Marvel and DC have done digital-first comics then followed up with hard copies and have been successful to an extent with that. If they did something along those lines for the comics being discussed and offered to make them returnable or add some cool comic exclusive content to the hard copies, I feel like that would be really solid middle ground that would satisfy almost all parties,” he said.

As Newsarama has already reported, Free Comic Book Day founder Joe Field, owner of Flying Colors Comics in Concord, Calif., believes that if publishers continue to produce digital comics while shops are closed, it will hurt comic book retailers.

But an option suggested by Ryan Higgins, owner of Comics Conspiracy in Sunnyvale, Calif., might allow physical shops to sell “codes” that would get readers a digital comic as well as a printed one, delivered later.

Lack of communication

But there’s still no answer from the largest direct market publishers, Marvel Comics and DC, about what comes next for digital release or comic book stores - and the lack of communication is frustrating for retailers.

“Fear and confusion are my two primary feelings at the moment,” Seymore admitted. “The lack of transparency and candor from Diamond and the big two really is mind-boggling. This change could be a result of their chosen printer companies closing down. Maybe it is a financial thing, where Diamond cannot cover their expenses or that publishers are not extending any credit?

“All I know is that there will be no new books for some number of weeks,” Seymore said. “This has led to me laying off staff that I care for and customers fearing that the industry is dead. It just feels like there should have been some kind of middle ground between business as usual and I told you I would pull the car over.”

Alan LaMont, owner of Grumpy Old Man’s Comics in Seattle, agreed that communication in the publishing and distribution network has been disappointing.

“For Diamond to leak this out to Bleeding Cool and other news outlets without first contacting the retailers is highly irresponsible and shows the overall lack of respect Diamond has towards retailers in general, if in fact they did,” he said. “While several vendors have made some effort to help out with returnability, additional discounts, etcetera, it seems for naught.”

LaMont said he understands that Diamond must protect their employees, but given he feels like they could have just offered even a limited service while so many stores are closed — “just one center to take care of any accounts that still wanted books.”

“I guess that was not a consideration on their part, or at least not one they asked us about,” he said.

Ray also said he understands why Diamond had to make this move, even though it will hurt his business. “If you think of the flow of new comics as a stream, as retailers start closing down, all of those comics are going to start pooling up somewhere,” he said. “If the stores aren't open to receive books (where they would likely just sit), that means if Diamond doesn't cease receiving, they'll be pooling up at Diamond warehouses, which only have finite space.”

Shutting Doors

Kyle Puttkammer, owner of Galactic Quest in Buford and Lawrenceville, Ga., is currently open for customers to pick up items at the curbside, but without new comics, he said the store will have to “wait out the storm.”

But he’s optimistic about the future: “Remember, Superman returned. I’m confident we will too.”

Up in Alaska, Luis Nieves has kept Aegis Comics store open for business, but he’s offering online and curbside service.

“A freeze on new books will hurt business even more, as we have all seen a significant decline in business,” he said.

Seymore of Columbus, Ohio, said he’s one of many comic book retailers whose state governments required them to close.

“We are following the governor of Ohio's order to close down all non-essential businesses,” Seymore said. “I am at the shop processing this week’s books, possibly the last time for awhile, in order to mail our guests’ subscriptions to them.”

LaMont just opened his Seattle store in 2017, creating what he calls “a niche” in the back-issue market.

“Up until last week, I was still open, providing gloves and the like to people coming into the store while also offering mailings, curbside, and delivery,” LaMont said. “Business has slowed by at least 60% in just one week.”

LaMont said that, although he sells a lot of back issues, the lack of new product from Diamond will probably force him to close, whether temporarily or not - and, he expects, most comic book stores across the country.

“As we face eventual closing of all non-essential businesses, the further elimination of new books will be the death knell for many of us,” he said. “Mail order of new books would have at least kept me afloat for a few months, possibly until this blows over. But without it and the ability for people to come into the store for back issues, I face a very uncertain future that does not look good.”

Ray said his Baltimore store has been closed to the public for more than a week, but he transitioned to a mail order/delivery/curbside pickup model.

“Our Governor (Hogan in Maryland) just announced a closure of all non-essential businesses in the state, catching the whole state up to where we have been,” Ray said. “As the situation continues to remain fluid, I'm not sure what tomorrow will be like.”

Direct Market Future

LaMont believes the overall direct market will come back after the pause, but some shops will be forced to close. “I know I am not the only store looking at it this way,” he said. “I will be surprised if, when the dust settles, there will be 50% or less of direct market stores left.”

Ray said he also expects fewer shops to be around when the emergency ends - and maybe even fewer publishers and fewer books for the immediate future. “The bigger publishers and retailers will likely be okay,” he said. “The smaller, marginal ones might not exist anymore.”

But other retailers have more hope. “We'll struggle like the rest of the country, but at least we have a chance to get ahead of this virus,” said Putkammer of Lawrenceville, Ga.

“I believe the market will return,” he added. “People love a good comeback story.”

Seymore said he’s also hopeful - particularly because of the response he’s seen from smaller publishers and his own customers.

“My guests and friends of the shop have humbled me and reminded me that I am not just someone who sells them stuff,” Seymore said. “They have offered to pay for weeks in advance, signal boost our online sales portals and spent time talking via messenger about how we all will make it through this. It has been bonding, uplifting and at times I am pretty sure someone was in the shop dicing onions because my eyes were watering up from the love.

Seymore hopes the entire direct market can get back up and running within a few weeks.

“If it doesn’t, things might switch to digital for awhile from the big two, but seeing the grassroots movement of smaller press and indy publishers networking and finding ways to get their physical books into shops gives me faith for the future.

“It reminds me of the ’80s when skateboarding was underground and DYI ‘Zines kept the faith going,” he said. “That hustle and passion cannot be stopped.”
Post 20 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel Mailer – Deep Discount Updates from Marvel to Retailers
clickable text

Marvel sends out mailers to retailers and this is the latest mailer in hopes to handle and support local retailers who depend on weekly shipments of books for their business. This is their corrected version and includes their new deep discount tiers for retailers.

CORRECTION:
Marvel Mailer #700
Marvel Retailer Support Measures

Dear Diamond Customer:Please be advised that the Marvel Retailer Support Measures in this week’s Marvel Mailer (#700) from Marvel Comics contained errors in the text.

A corrected version of the item follows:

To all our partners in the retailer community,

As we all encounter new and uncertain challenges in response to COVID-19 and take extraordinary measures to prioritize the safety and wellbeing of everyone in the industry and beyond, our thoughts are with you, your loved ones, and the community.

We have spoken with many of you about the economic impact to your stores from this situation, and we are here to help. To assist and support you and retailers around the country during this unprecedented time, Marvel will be implementing the following support sales measures, effective immediately:

• For Marvel titles scheduled to go on sale between March 18 and April 8, Marvel is offering extensive deep discounts (adjusted on top of the existing discounts you have in place) to help alleviate cash flow pressures and give you the flexibility to sell your product in response to customer demand as needed.

*Please see the chart below for new discount tiers.

• This move will increase total discounts for you upfront and preserve the cash you have immediately available. These discounts will also allow your store to fully dedicate your resources and staff to selling comics and other essential tasks.

• Marvel and Diamond will also be preserving your current regular Marvel discount tier, regardless of any decreases to your order levels. By maintaining your current regular discount tier, we hope to give you the confidence you need to reduce and adjust your orders and steadily accommodate your ongoing pull and hold list customers.

We are aware that based on the guidance of local government and health officials, many of you are already providing services to accommodate your communities, including holding or creating pull lists, curbside pick-ups, special deliveries or other shipping options, and more. We will continue to amplify and create awareness about these efforts as best as we can to help encourage your customers to use your additional services.

We are actively monitoring the situation every day, and we will continue to listen to your input and share regular updates with you in the coming days and weeks.

Our industry is built upon the resilience and passion behind each and every retailer and fan, and shops like yours are the reason we all can come together. This is uncharted territory for all of us, and we are here to support. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to reach out to your Diamond representative for more information. Please stay safe and well.

ATTENTION RETAILERS:
Regular standard discounts will be frozen at the currently calculated discount to avoid this difficult time from impacting future standard discounts.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
How about they just buy back unsold issues?
Post 22 IP   flag post
601333 22 22
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.