Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
I am disappointed with the current Punisher run. Like they are trying something different, but way too different. And they make it where you read this and you think Frank was a ass to his family.

If they wanted to change the character, why not keep him in the war machine armor, or just bring back FrankenCastle....I really enjoyed that.
Post 976 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I never think Frank is an “ass” while reading the series. It’s trying to show how unhappy Frank is not being Frank because his family doesn’t need a mercenary, just a Dad.
Post 977 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Disney Villains: Scar #1 i enjoyed
Post 978 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Very true..they need a dad..and the war changed him and what happened as a kid, molded him. I just rememeber reading old stories of when he was with his family and did not come off like he does in this series.

Hope they just bring everything back to what made the Punisher the best.
Post 979 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I think this where I'm at with why it isn't pulling me in with some of the supernatural stuff as well. But reading the 1987 series, Year One, etc where it goes into Frank's backstory, it shows him as a loving father. Yes, you see him go through the crap in those issues of 'Nam, but he just comes across as emotionally void here. I think this stems from Garth Ennis. While I loved his run on Punisher, his run was more about the villains and situations than it was about Frank. Frank was just the killing machine and barely registered as human. In the older series, I can relate to the humanity he shows. The last few Punisher series have just taken the starch out of the ol' noodle.
Post 980 IP   flag post

Man, I guess I’m not as educated to Castle as you fellers are. I suppose you’ll react differently to the plot twist at the end of 11 as me.
Post 981 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Hulk 300 officially ended the “intelligent Hulk” story arc, replacing that with a feral, raging Hulk with no trace of Bruce Banner remaining. After a massive battle with SHIELD and the Avengers, this issue ends with Dr. Strange banishing the Hulk to another dimension, ostensibly a place where the Hulk can exist in peace without harming or being harmed. It will be interesting to see how this plays out as I was not a regular purchaser of Hulk back then, so most these are fresh to me. I do think the “intelligent Hulk” thing had more than run it’s course. Interesting that they then chose to take it to the complete opposite extreme.

MT-U Annual 7 is typical of what you can expect from a giant-sized team-up book. Basically a 30+ page fight sequence. This particular issue is somewhat mediocre in story and art and definitely doesn’t make the list of all time classic team-up annuals (MT-U Annuals 1 and 4 come immediately to mind). I won’t judge it too harshly, though. Nobody hits a home run every time they step up to the plate.

Jonah Hex has become one of my favorite comics over the last couple of years. This issue features a nice cheesecake cover to boot!

New Mutants became more visually interesting after Bill Sienkiewicz took over the art chores. When these issues were new, this book was consistently among my favorite comics. At the time, I found the change in art style somewhat jarring. After all, I liked the book as it was! Sienkiewicz’s art just seemed weird to me. Looking back at it now, yes, it is weird and definitely different, but he does add some interesting elements to the composition. I think what I actually found most jarring at the time, even if I didn’t recognize it then, was the change in editor, both here and on X-men. Former editor Louise Jones (later Simonson) came from the school of “every comic is somebody’s first”. The storylines were generally clear and understandable, even if you hadn’t been reading the book for years. New editor Ann Nocenti, far less experienced, let her talent go in whatever direction they wished. This resulted in writing that was much less coherent, introducing characters and concepts that often didn’t make sense until several issues later, whether this was your first comic or you had been reading the book for years. Under her editorship the X-books became harder to follow. It certainly didn’t hurt the sales figures, but the main reason I eventually quit buying the X-titles a couple years later (shortly after the “Mutant Massacre” storyline) is that I no longer had any idea what the heck was going on!

Post 982 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Interesting story, short though I may pick up the first issue when it comes out.

Post 983 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 984 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

I liked this issue as a fan of Sub-mariner.
And iss 7 is the second most important issue in Daredevils run. First red costume designed by Wally Wood. First time the grappling hook on a cable from his billy club was used. Red costume and billy club with cable are important things associated with this character even today. Including movies and tv shows.

Read issue 8
Post 985 IP   flag post

Some pre code crime.
Post 986 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
The first nine issues of Heavy Metal. I had to read them one last time before they're off for slabbing. Den was always my favorite.

Post 987 IP   flag post
From the last week. Entertaining but nothing sensational.

Post 988 IP   flag post
I caught up on my Hulk-centric books today.

Post 989 IP   flag post
I haven't felt particularly great the past few days so I did some reading this weekend.

I enjoyed the second Batman vs Predator series more. The first, like many crossovers, felt rushed and inconsistent with character abilities. The second series was a little more fleshed out.

Some of these one shots/graphic novels have been in my to-reaf pile for a year+.

Hell is a Squared Circle was a fun romp through the ups and downs of territory wrestling except mixed with Tales from the Crypt. Enjoyable read even if it got a bit predictable by the end.

All Night and Every Day had a definite Twilight Zone vibe to it. TLDR version is girl finds missing fiance in a strange party house and every door leads to a different place. Interesting concept.

I don't know how much longer Aftershock will be around. I'm pretty sure that the company had some bankruptcy stuff lately but these are honest attempts at creating standalone horror and suspense one shots. There are a few other things I'd like to pick up from them.
Post 990 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
Let's see...

- The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 1) #328: This was on my "buy" list since the early-to-mid-1990s. So after I bought a CGC 9.6 newsstand, I used that as an excuse to read the actual story. In the end it is the start to my copper age X-Men* focus.

[*: It is Sebastian Shaw's first appearance in a non-Marvel UK/X-Men/X-Men spin-off title.]

- The Incredible Hulk (Vol. 1) #340: This has been on the grail-end of my "buy" list since the early 1990s. So after I read ASM 328, I chose to follow it up with this issue. (With me now thinking that I should follow up with issues 336-337, along with both ASM issues 327 and 329.)

- The X-Men (Vol. 1) #1: I bought a facsimile copy at LCS #2 after I forgot to see if LCS #1 had any slab-related comic boxes. All it did was remind me to read X-Factor #1.

- The Savage She-Hulk (Vol. 1) #1: I also picked up a facsimile copy at LCS #2. I bought it because of the whole ASM 328 follow-up. But might not seek an original anytime soon.

- X-Men (Vol. 2) #9: This was the last Jim Lee drawn X-Men comic that I had bought at any LCS. The original reason was both because I liked that era of the X-Men and that incarnation of Ghost Rider. (I still do, and hope to complete the Jim Lee/Scott Lobdell run by August!)
Post 991 IP   flag post

Post 992 IP   flag post
Turned out that not feeling well meant I had strep throat. Don't know how I caught that but I gotta pay the rent somehow. A few reads during the couple days I took off.

Good art and heavy inks. Some stereotypical characterizations which wouldn't fly nowadays. Love it.

I'm actually really digging some of these Aftershock horror one shots.

Pretty good tale about Black Widow being extorted by rogue KGB agents into committing some espionage against SHIELD by telling and showing her proof that her ex-husband the Red Guardian was alive and asking for her. She travels to the USSR and it all turns out to be an elaborate ruse for the rogue agents to acquire the newest Life Model Decoy software from the Widow. The art has her looking rather East German if you catch my drift but well paced and offers a good glimpse into the Widow's past.
Post 993 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
October 1984 was a good month for the Superman books:

Superman 400 was a double-sized, no ads extravaganza that alternated between tribute pin-ups by top tier creators and short stories dealing with the legacy of Superman years after he had been gone forever. This was just a really great read, both thought provoking and entertaining. Well worth the time if you have never read it.

Action Comics 560 features a hilarious Ambush Bug back-up story. This segment had me laughing out loud 🤣

Post 994 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Post 995 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@flanders

Are you in hospital? Hope everything is ok.
Post 996 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte I'm decent.Just getting another infusion for my autoimmune disorder.

Post 997 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Ok. Take care of yourself.

Great movie. Never read book.
Post 998 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Yep, looks like she has a 5 o'clock shadow, a hint of an Adam's apple, and an ill placed shadow lends itself to a hairy chest. The Black Widow's All Male Revue.
Post 999 IP   flag post
601342 999 24