Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
After working all day, got home, took a shower, ate dinner, got the AC cranked and I'm laying in bed reading digital copies of Haunt of Fear #16 (which is issue #2).

I have all the digital copies of Haunt of Fear #1-28, Tales from the Crypt #1-46 and Vault of Horror #1-40 so I'm pretty much set.

Few pics of the digital copies on my HP tablet.

Post 176 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool
As collectors sometimes we want to read the story but won't crack that comics' cover.

Although Miracleman is pretty much my favorite comic series from the 80's I had never read #15 for this very reason. It wasn't reprinted for decades and when I finally bought a copy as an adult I sent it straight to slabbing as it was worth about $200 back then in it's 9.2 grade. It's only worth about $60 now but I'm still not going to crack the slab to read it. This weekend I was re-reading the series and got to #15. It was time to finally read it, so I went online and found someone had scanned the pages and posted them. Hard to read in that format but my goodness, Miracleman #15 has to be up there with the all time great single-issue comic stories. 40,000 killed, half of London destroyed by Kid Miracleman...and that's just where it starts.

Miracleman is one of my favorites too... hence the icon I use.
Post 177 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Ok. I finished volume 5, just read it. After I finished that I spent some time with this gem.
I've never read a Harvey but I see why @michaelekrupp likes them so much. Cadbury bent some random kid over his knee and whipped his ass. Little Lotta ate a 6 foot hoagie from the side instead of the end! Classic. I'm going to read it again tomorrow and then make my kid read it.

@HeinzDad I love it!!! Little known fact: Richie Rich’s cousin Reggie is easily the most spanked kid in comics! Random strangers were constantly taking him over their knee for his shenanigans. Tell me it wasn’t a better world then!
Post 178 IP   flag post
@GanaSoth Love the old ECs but I just can’t get into digital comics. That’s weird because I am currently at the point where I hardly ever pick up a regular book anymore. Probably the last dozen or so novels I have read are all on my phone. For me, comics just don’t seem to translate as well, so I am sticking with these:

Post 179 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I'm assuming the red head kid was Reggie?

Edit: I want to read more Harvey.
Post 180 IP   flag post

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad Harvey is what got me into comics as a kid. Richie Rich, Casper and Hot Stuff still hold a spot in my heart.
Post 181 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
I'm assuming the red head kid was Reggie?

Edit: I want to read more Harvey.

Probably was, although Reggie wasn’t the only kid to get spanked in a Harvey comic by any stretch!

Harvey comics are fun! They are pretty cheap on EBay if you buy reading copies by the lot. That’s how I built up my collection, although I have since sold many of my readers to finance my Harvey bound volume collection.
Post 182 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
Miracleman is one of my favorites too... hence the icon I use.

@GanaSoth I only read the original Miraclemans, never read the more recent Marvel series. Did they ever get beyond the reprints and write new stories in the Marvel series? Trying to figure out what the most recently written stories are.
Post 183 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp yeah. I love the smell of old comics. Nothing else quite like it. It actually enhances the experience.

But for convenience, the digital wins. In this case, if I bought the slip case copies, like yours, it's a small fortune. The original copies, (I'm currently collecting) but they won't be actually read. Also too expensive to read; while worrying about it getting damaged.

But I agreed with ya. It's kinda weird reading comics digitally, I just have to convince my brain it's like the real thing. Maybe someone will one day invent "old book smell" incense.
Post 184 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller I believe they are still supposed to finish it.
Post 185 IP   flag post
I finished out the Byrne X-men run this week, which is about as far as I want to go for now. After some deliberation I have decided to start on the Frank Miller run on Daredevil next. This should be interesting as I was only a semi-regular purchaser of DD back in the early ‘80s, so I have never actually sat down and read the entire run in order. Looking forward to getting started. I will report back in a week or so to let you know my thoughts.

Post 186 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 187 IP   flag post

Post 188 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Justice League #35 (Scott Snyder / various)- Trying to finish the Snyder JL run.
Post 189 IP   flag post
As of now I am about halfway through the original Frank Miller Daredevil run. So far what stands out to me the most is just how much the book improved when Miller took over the writing chores. The first dozen or so Miller/ Janson issues were written by other writers, mainly Roger MacKenzie. Those comics were pretty good but not great. As soon as Miller began writing the stories the series hit the next level. Miller brought a grittier tone to the series that was a departure from the straightforward superhero stories of the earlier issues. This change in style was much more complimentary to the artwork and resulted in a drastically improved overall product. I am currently in the early 170s and the book is really starting to hit it’s stride creatively. Very much looking forward to finishing the run!
Post 190 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I’m still slowly going through the Library Edition of “Lady Killer”.

I’ve discussed this series before, but I’m compelled to bring it up again.

I’m usually more into the writing than the art, but this book is something else. I find the art captivating. A friend described it as “dark Disney” and I can see that. The main character, Josie, is almost drawn as a Disney Princess. She’s a stereotypical 50’s housewife, who just happens to be a particularly vicious contract killer.

It’s bloody, dark, and a noir page-turner.

This edition is oversized and beautifully constructed. The paper stock is very thick and sturdy.

I just highly recommend it & this version especially.
Post 191 IP   flag post
@00slim looks interesting. I added it to my cart on Amazon.
Post 192 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp Hope you like it!
Post 193 IP   flag post
Collector ComicConnoisseur private msg quote post Address this user
I read Immortal Hulk 1-12. Incredible. Reminds me of Alan Moore`s Swamp Thing.
Post 194 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished up Joe Kubert's 6-Issue Sgt Rock: The Prophecy

Excellent Read

Post 195 IP   flag post
Collector ComicConnoisseur private msg quote post Address this user
I am really liking re-reading ASM 1-38. Ditko was a master.
Post 196 IP   flag post
@ComicConnoisseur Can’t go wrong with the classics! ASM 1-50 is on my short list if we’re talking about the greatest comics ever done.
Post 197 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I just got this book today, so I haven't read it all, but it looks like a fun read!!! I have had this on my list for a long time and finally decided I needed to have a copy!!!

Post 198 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
DC: Primer (just came in last week from Westfield Comics).
clickable text
DC has been getting the YA market pretty heavily in the last two years.
Post 199 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Awesome! I think it was @DPiercy who described it as short horror stories tied together by the Ice Cream Man. Crypt Keeper esque. Good thing I got volumes 1-4!
Post 200 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I bought the Hope trade from Dirk Manning's websight. He signed the inside page. It was a good read. I have also read his Haunted High-Ons and had him sign those at a show awhile back. They are by Source Point Press which has gotten some recognition of late. I also picked up the first 3 issues of Star Wars Bounty Hunters. I have not read a Star Wars book in a couple years and I really enjoyed it. I might add it to my pull list.I also picked up and read the last copy of Zero's Journey. Tight artwork but the stories are for 6 year olds.

Post 201 IP   flag post
Got caught up on the recent pull list box. A few new series that I will be picking up future issues since they maintained my interest.

Post 202 IP   flag post
He sounds like a vegan who wants real mayonnaise to be vegan friendly. Instant_Subtitles private msg quote post Address this user
No photos. Too lazy today.

- The Sandman (Volume 2) #8 (online)
- Death: The High Cost of Living #1 (online)
- The House of Secrets #92 (reissue)
Post 203 IP   flag post
I finished the Frank Miller Daredevil omnibus this week. Really good stuff! The DD/ Elektra arc was outstanding. I was a little surprised that they chose to kill off a character with so much potential and I was glad to see that her story had a (relatively) happy ending. Another thing that jumps out at me about these issues is how Miller was able to elevate Bullseye into the upper echelon of Marvel villains. I think in the silver age the main knock on DD was the quality of his opposition. While others had their Dr. Dooms, Red Skulls and Green Goblins, DD’s foes were largely a collection of second bananas and Spidey villains. Bullseye was clearly the best this mag had to offer, but it wasn’t until Miller took over that he truly reached his potential as a worthy arch-foe.

Since finishing the DD omnibus I have been spending time rooting through my stacks of Gold Key comics, revisiting titles ranging from Pink Panther to Dagar the Invincible to the Addams Family. There’s really a lot of overlooked, underrated material there! My next reading project is revisiting the Gold Key Star Trek title. I have the collections published by Checker Books several years back. That’s what I am digging into tonight.

Post 204 IP   flag post

Post 205 IP   flag post
601493 999 30