Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Getting caught up on the more recent pull list and the year ago pull list. I really don't know how I feel about this new Punisher series. There's times where I really dig it, the others where I just shake my head. I'd settle for a cross between the Mike Baron and Garth Ennis versions.

Creepshow is entertaining and Predator has its moments. Predator has a new #1.

Rogues Gallery was cool. Basic idea is what happens when nerds go too far to protect the IP against Hollywood.

Post 951 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I ordered this hardcover graphic novel by Dynamite on Amazon earlier this week. I got it today and read through it once already. I really enjoy the artwork and story. The graphic novel is based on a book of the same name by Deepak Chopra.

Post 952 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 953 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 954 IP   flag post
I buy so many less weekly’s these days. The ones I do get however still get me geared up to read. The top two books here barely made it in the door. Hell, I read the Punisher book while I drove home instead of texting.

Post 955 IP   flag post

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I read this last night. Not a bad read, but nothing to write home about.

Post 956 IP   flag post
From the past few days. Working through my pull list still. I'll get to the good drek (1970s-1990s) at some point.

Unfortunately, the last two issues in this volume/series. This series was a good romp by writers and artists who actually care about their profession.

Blood Tree, Black Tape and Red Zone have all caught my attention. Whenever I read AWA stuff, I'm usually not disappointed.

Post 957 IP   flag post
AWA huh? I’m not aware. Is there a trade of any title I should read?
Post 958 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
AWA huh? I’m not aware. Is there a trade of any title I should read?

Bad Mother, Sacrament, Devil's Highway, Crimson Cage (Macbeth but in pro wrestling) come to mind. The Resistance started strong but I haven't read the following two volumes.
Post 959 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Spent the last week or so reading the Champions Marvel Masterworks volume. I first read the early issues of this series decades ago and found them to be quite awful. Terrible dialogue, contrived storylines and a group of characters that just didn’t seem to fit together. I got the feeling that this book was only created because Marvel wanted to add another super-team book to the schedule. Re-reading the early issues did little to change my opinion of them, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how good the later issues are. The series improved greatly after Bill Mantlo became the regular writer and a young up-and-comer named John Byrne took over on pencils. The addition of characters like Darkstar and Black Goliath to the mix made the book more interesting and Byrne’s artwork was a significant upgrade from the professional but unexceptional work that preceded him. Some of the early Byrne issues were inked by Bob Layton, which I found to be a particularly interesting and aesthetically pleasing combination. Layton’s inks may have overpowered the pencils in some places, but the genius of both men is on display in the finished product. I’m not saying that the later issues of Champions didn’t have their flaws. Ghost Rider, to me, never seemed to fit in as a team member and whoever made the decision to include him should probably have reconsidered. Overall, though, I would say that the last half of the series are pretty good comics, and significantly better than the first half.

The Marvel Masterworks volume is also interesting because it contains all the appearances of the group, many of which were outside of the regular series and some of which I had never read. While it may not be all solid gold, the Champions Masterworks volume is definitely worth reading.

Post 960 IP   flag post
I started reading the Warrant mags Shudder, and Vampiress Carmilla a year ago or so. I love them. It’s always go to reading between my stories. If I had to pick one to really try it’d be Shudder.

Post 961 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user
Also buying Shudder, Vamp Carmilla, Creeps back issues, Creepy when I can afford them, Creepshow, Stuff of Nightmares, and pre hero Atlas monsters. Lots of good horror-show comics coming out. EC reprints...
Post 962 IP   flag post
Collector codychunn private msg quote post Address this user

Some heady stuff in there. I miss that guy.
Post 963 IP   flag post
I waited over a year to read these consecutively.

Post 964 IP   flag post
Over the past week. Star Wars is leading towards Droid Planet or something like it. I remember some of what they were talking about from this when I was a kid. Possibly also from the original Marvel series. It's all leading into the next big SW crossover.

SIKTC titles have been very good. Public Domain strikes me as Zdarsky's well deserved middle finger to Marvel and Disney for being crusty assholes. Excellent read.

Post 965 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@Studley_Dudley I had the Return of the Jedi book cassette when I was in primary school. Thinks I saw a class mate with the droid book.
Post 966 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Outcast compendium. So good.
Post 967 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
While going through a box of raw comics from PASSAIC BOOK CENTER I ran across
copies of MARVEL TEAM-UP #65 & #66, two books I had forgotten that are really
a joy to re-read...and the cover of #66 is terrific! Often wondered why MARVEL
chose them to introduce CAPTAIN BRITAIN?
Post 968 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 969 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
While going through a box of raw comics from PASSAIC BOOK CENTER I ran across
copies of MARVEL TEAM-UP #65 & #66, two books I had forgotten that are really
a joy to re-read...and the cover of #66 is terrific! Often wondered why MARVEL
chose them to introduce CAPTAIN BRITAIN?

My guess is that the anthology series were a way to test the waters with some characters.
Post 970 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
After several months I have finally wrapped up my excursion into the September, 1984 issues. It took quite a while, not only because the stack must have been close to 100 comics, but also because I felt like meandering off my reading path a little. During my reading of that month’s books I mixed in a couple of novels, a few dozen golden age comics, some masterworks and omnibus material and even a couple of pulps! As is my habit, I saved many of the first issues for the end, allowing me to double up on the most interesting new books when I dig into the next month’s stack. Here are some thoughts on those comics:

1984 was the year that saw an explosion of mini (and maxi) series. Due to the sheer volume, one can’t expect them to all be gold, but there are some gems in there. Prince Namor the Sub-Mariner looks to be among the gems. It’s hard to go wrong with J M DeMatteis handling the writing chores. I really liked the first issue and am looking forward to the rest of the series!

Transformers is a title that made a huge splash back in 1984. I only bought an issue here or there, but some of my friends were completely over the moon about this book. I found the first issue to be pretty darn good, in spite of all the necessary expository dialogue. It was a smart move by Marvel to bring in Bill Mantlo to plot the issue. Micronauts and Rom are solid evidence that developing toy properties into long running comic series was his specialty. I wouldn’t say I liked it as well as Sub-Mariner, but I definitely want to see what happens next.

Jemm, Son of Saturn is a comic that received a huge promotional push from DC, but virtually no reader buzz at the time. I don’t remember anyone I know buying this series or hearing anything about how good it was. This is something of a mystery to me, because after reading the first issue, I find that I really liked it. The story is interesting and it’s hard to beat the art team of Gene Colan and Klaus Janson.

Of the month’s first issues, the only one that I was somewhat indifferent to was Nemesis the Warlock. The book presents some interesting characters and concepts, but I am not yet completely sold on it. Also, I found the size of the print very small and difficult to read, which hinders the entire reading experience. I am guessing that these comics were originally printed in magazine format in England, and the lettering suffers from the reduction in size.

Still not a bad batting average: four new series, three thumbs up and one we’ll see.

Now onward to October, 1984!
Post 971 IP   flag post
More from the pull list. Once I finish the comic end of it, I can move into the magazine sized books.

The Coupe de Ville. This title was corny as hell, but well written and drawn and it was some bullcrap I could see Flair doing in an angle. Comparable to Don Muraco and Mr Fuji doing the Fuji Vice vignettes.

I'm starting to think this iteration of Punisher is shit. I'm all about trying to freshen things up but I keep getting that avenging angel vibe that Punisher did in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Post 972 IP   flag post
You only have 11 and 12 left of Punisher. I thought 11 was cool. Please read 11 before you shit can 12?.?.?
Post 973 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad if there are two issues left, I'll stick it out. I'll get #11 when my next pull list comes to me. I wanted to like it. It had some concepts that I thought were cool but as the series goes on, I just find myself caring less. Maybe I'm just a fan of keeping the Punisher simple.
Post 974 IP   flag post
At least read 11.
Post 975 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
I am disappointed with the current Punisher run. Like they are trying something different, but way too different. And they make it where you read this and you think Frank was a ass to his family.

If they wanted to change the character, why not keep him in the war machine armor, or just bring back FrankenCastle....I really enjoyed that.
Post 976 IP   flag post
I never think Frank is an “ass” while reading the series. It’s trying to show how unhappy Frank is not being Frank because his family doesn’t need a mercenary, just a Dad.
Post 977 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Disney Villains: Scar #1 i enjoyed
Post 978 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Very true..they need a dad..and the war changed him and what happened as a kid, molded him. I just rememeber reading old stories of when he was with his family and did not come off like he does in this series.

Hope they just bring everything back to what made the Punisher the best.
Post 979 IP   flag post
I think this where I'm at with why it isn't pulling me in with some of the supernatural stuff as well. But reading the 1987 series, Year One, etc where it goes into Frank's backstory, it shows him as a loving father. Yes, you see him go through the crap in those issues of 'Nam, but he just comes across as emotionally void here. I think this stems from Garth Ennis. While I loved his run on Punisher, his run was more about the villains and situations than it was about Frank. Frank was just the killing machine and barely registered as human. In the older series, I can relate to the humanity he shows. The last few Punisher series have just taken the starch out of the ol' noodle.
Post 980 IP   flag post
601229 999 30