Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Some new...1 old. Love my Saturday morning reading....one of the best parts of my week.
Post 926 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Some of my recent reads:

Post 927 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Last batch of the year. Working through my pull list this past week. I kinda forgot what happened in some of these.

Home Sick Pilots. The series wrapped up with #15. It had a very cool concept that unfolded later in the series after starting off as a straight horror/Twilight Zone vibe. It could have been better but not bad.

Time Before Time. Very cool series. Art has been better and solid writing makes it enjoyable. It can be confusing with the time jumps but it's fun.

North Bend season 2. Very cool. Like what the conspiracy theory dipshits would think happens with the government essentially making sleeper agents to infiltrate "threats" to the establishment.

One of my comic resolutions is to finish my last four stacks of pull list books before more stuff keeps getting added to it.
Post 928 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed reading these that I received from @xkonk in the holiday gift exchange.

Post 929 IP   flag post
Finished another stack of books this week.

That Texas Blood. Good story and the Christmas special was a nice change of pace story from the previous six issues of heavy. Not a lot of words so hard to justify the $4/issue price point but it is good.

Something is Killing the Children. Price point is a bitch but I enjoy the story. This last storyline builds on Erica Slaughter going rogue. I like where it's headed.

House of Slaughter. Digs into the backstory of the Order of St George. Not bad.

Undiscovered Country. I do like this one. Just lost since I fell behind a while back. I feel like this series is heading for its conclusion.

Just a few more stacks of pull list to get through...
Post 930 IP   flag post

No rust here... Nearmint67 private msg quote post Address this user
Brave & The Bold 28 (facsimile). Good read. The super heroes are not the true hero in the story.
Post 931 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

This was cool.

I probably won’t search this out for the read.

This book was a total crap shoot but I bought it. The whole time I was reading it I smelled something. The coffee whore’s assured me I was smelling chocolate/hot chocolate/coffee. It was a different read and I’m looking forward to issue 2.

Post 932 IP   flag post
This has started slow but I could feel the momentum at the end of this issue.

I should go back and read this from the beginning but I dove into volume 8 instead.

I chose not to re read Ice Cream Man because I’m re reading this instead.

Post 933 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Post 934 IP   flag post
Spent some time today revisiting the golden age courtesy of Gwandanaland Comics. For those who are unfamiliar with Gwandanaland, they are a company that specializes in golden and silver age reprints of comics that are in the public domain. They offer over 7500 titles available in hardcover, softcover and b&w. They also put together custom collections upon request, so you can literally obtain a print copy of just about any golden age public domain title or character that interests you, put together in any order or format that you prefer. They are distributed through Barnes and Noble or you can contact Lance directly at gwandanaland@yahoo.com or on Facebook if you have any interest. And all of the comics are also available on PDF, which is what I have been reading today. I started off with some Atlas war books:

I then moved on to Tara, Outlaw of the Universe from Wonder Comics:

And I finished with some classic Jack Cole Plastic Man!

An eclectic and highly satisfying mix.
Post 935 IP   flag post
I picked up my weekly pile of drek today. These were must read asap’s for me.

Post 936 IP   flag post

Post 937 IP   flag post
Been spending a lot of time exploring the golden age of comics lately. The Shark is an early aquatic hero published by Centaur. He appeared in Amazing Man and Stars and Stripes comics from 1939-1942.

This feature was very representative of the earliest superhero strips. Long on action and excitement but a little short on logic and execution. The art is credited to Lew Glanz, although some of it seems to have been ghosted or finished by assistants resulting in somewhat erratic quality. Some of it is decent, some of it just seems slapped together. I don’t think the bar was very high at Centaur. I could find something wrong with the writing, art, coloring, lettering and editing. What is undeniable, however, is the energy and imagination that shine through in every adventure of the Shark, which is what made the golden age of comics so amazing!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the character here’s a brief rundown: he is the ruler of seas, contemporary to the Sub-Mariner but long before Aquaman. He is envisioned as being to the ocean what Tarzan is to the jungle. He has super strength in the water, but not on land. He has the ability to transport himself through any amount of water, appearing out of nowhere through a glass of water or even the morning dew. In his undersea kingdom he has a giant TV screen that picks up images from the surface world, somewhat similar to Ozma’s magic picture in the land of Oz. By changing channels the Shark can witness different scenes and when something threatens his undersea realm he can appear there through the nearest water and deal with the offenders.
As with most golden age comics, the series begins with only the germ of an idea, which is rushed to the presses and then refined over the subsequent stories. In the case of the Shark, Father Neptune appears, reveals himself as the father of the Shark and gives him a magic knife that allows him to maintain his undersea strength on land as long as he is in possession of it. Pop Neptune becomes a regular character in the series, accompanying the Shark on his adventures. While nothing in this series approaches high literature, the stories are imaginative and entertaining and well worth reading!

I also finished reading the complete adventures of Tara from Wonder Comics (with the final story appearing in Thrilling Comics after Wonder got the axe). These stories are from the mid-to-late 1940s period and are better written and drawn than the Shark stories. Like the Shark stories they do borrow from Burroughs, who was undeniably a force in popular culture during the first half of the 20th century. While the Shark drew upon elements of Tarzan, Tara was inspired by the Barsoom series, with more than a dash of Robin Hood mixed in. It’s a shame that Tara was published by Better/ Standard/ Nedor and only had a short run. The series was quite entertaining and if it had been published by Fiction House, it could have had a long, healthy run in Planet Comics.

A comic that I have long heard good things about but have never got to read until now us Dick Briefer’s Frankenstein. This book features amazing writing and artwork. The characters are charming and each story is guaranteed to contain at least a chuckle or two. I am looking forward to reading more of this and I highly recommend it!

Post 938 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Started on this today... WHAT A TRIP!

Post 939 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Spawn unwanted violence. 2 issue miniseries so far good. #2 sometime this month.

Post 940 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I read the first 4 issues of the new Joker book. The issues have two stories. The first story is continued from one issue to the next. The second story is drawn more in a cartoon style. It is also shorter and it is a standalone story. I enjoyed the story arc in all the issues. It is fairly dark in nature. The second story is I find to be a bit on a dark humor side but still entertaining. I went ahead and bought issue number five and pre-ordered issues six and seven.

I also read this comic titled "Maeve Rising Warrior". It is inspired by the Irish Queen Maeve. Besides being interested in the history, my oldest daughter is named Maeve. I plan on getting the next three issues.

Post 941 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
does watching bad batch 2 count?
Post 942 IP   flag post
I am currently reading the early issues of All-Star Comics, which, in addition to the amazing early golden age content, has proven to be an interesting history lesson.

Back in the golden age of multiple and diverse features in every comic, it was hard for the publisher to determine exactly which features were getting over and which were not. It is said that DC didn’t even know what it was that propelled Action Comics to such astronomical sales until they started asking around to news dealers and found that the kids were asking for “the comic with Superman in it”. With All-Star Comics #1, DC decided to poll their audience directly. Offering a free copy of All-Star #2 to the first 500 kids who responded to an ad asking which features should be added to All-Star and which should be “voted off the island”, so to speak.

This proved to be an ingenious strategy. The response was overwhelming, with Green Lantern, Johnny Thunder and Dr Fate being added to the lineup due to reader demand. I must point out that the response to Green Lantern is particularly interesting, since his first appearance (July 1940) was on the stands simultaneously with All-Star 1 (Summer 1940). Green Lantern was obviously an instant sensation and, thanks to this brilliant poll, DC didn’t have to poll news dealers or wait around for the sales figures to roll in. The method was so successful that DC doubled down on it in All-Star #2, offering free copies of All-Star #3 to the first 1000 kids to respond to the next poll regarding which characters were most worthy of receiving their own full book.

According to a teaser published in All-Star #3, this poll received over 7700 responses.

In issue #4, the Flash was announced as the winner, with another poll and free copy (and cash prize) offering to come up with a name for the new title, since simply calling it “The Flash” would have been too similar to the already being published Flash Comics.

History, of course, tells us that the winning title was “All-Flash”. I think it is also logical to assume that the Green Lantern placed second in the “worthy of his own book” poll, as he also ended up with his own quarterly. It sure is fun to experience comic book history as the kids of that day experienced it. I love old stuff!

And speaking of history, another item in my recent reading has some pretty cool historical value. It’s not a comic, but the Amazing Stories pulp from 1929 that featured the first published tale of Buck Rogers in the 25th Century. A really great read in a great overall issue of Amazing Stories! Reading this has increased my interest in reading more pulps. I plan to read the issue with the second Buck Rogers story in the near future, and sample some other more diverse styles of pulps down the road. So much cool stuff to read and so little time!

Post 943 IP   flag post

Post 944 IP   flag post
……..
Post 945 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad
How was bloodline?
Post 946 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
@HeinzDad
How was bloodline?
I thought the first 2 were cool. It may be aimed at a teenage girl but that doesn’t dissuade me from learning about Blade a bit. I think I have a fcbd laying around somewhere.
Post 947 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
If you dont have it, I have literally 90 copies of it laying around in my living room. Yeah. It was my spec book when it was announced.
Post 948 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I let my subscription comics languish for a few months, so now I'm just trying to catch up (I also cut way down on the number of subs I have so it doesn't happen again).

Just went through The Mandalorian comics I have (1-5), I stopped that sub cause it's just the show in comic form. I already know the story and the art is good but not fantastic.

I also won a lot of Ghost comics (mmmm, Bronze Age Horror) the other day, unfortunately the first one I went to read had pages ripped out of it that affect the story(s). This was not called out in the auction when I bid on it, it said they would all be FN-VG or so. So now I'm trying to figure out what my options there are.

I think next up I'll catch up on Avengers Forever and see if I want to add that sub back in or not.
Post 949 IP   flag post

I cleared out for tomorrow’s stories. The surfer books are cool, I’m not a cosmic fan as much as I try to be but this is set on Earth so far. Karai is up to some sneaky shit as usual in Tmnt. Cosmic Ghoast Rider was sweet when Cates wrote him. Now it seems like some snarky wade wilson bs.
Post 950 IP   flag post
Getting caught up on the more recent pull list and the year ago pull list. I really don't know how I feel about this new Punisher series. There's times where I really dig it, the others where I just shake my head. I'd settle for a cross between the Mike Baron and Garth Ennis versions.

Creepshow is entertaining and Predator has its moments. Predator has a new #1.

Rogues Gallery was cool. Basic idea is what happens when nerds go too far to protect the IP against Hollywood.

Post 951 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I ordered this hardcover graphic novel by Dynamite on Amazon earlier this week. I got it today and read through it once already. I really enjoy the artwork and story. The graphic novel is based on a book of the same name by Deepak Chopra.

Post 952 IP   flag post

Post 953 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user

Post 954 IP   flag post
I buy so many less weekly’s these days. The ones I do get however still get me geared up to read. The top two books here barely made it in the door. Hell, I read the Punisher book while I drove home instead of texting.

Post 955 IP   flag post
598080 999 30