Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
The most expensive raw book I read was a Avengers 1, at least at the time it was 10 times cheaper then what it is worth today.

I'd probably read it today but would never send it thru the post to get graded if I hadn't got it graded years ago.
Post 901 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Reading Maus for the 1st time.
Post 902 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Yesterday’s reads:

I have always been fond of the scarecrow.

Al Milgrom gave this title a boost when he took over the writing chores as well as the art on Spectacular. It was probably the best Spider-book during that period.

Blue Devil continues to hold my interest. I find it interesting that in the recent MCS email, Odinson claims this series was originally offered to Steve Ditko who turned it down. That seems to be directly contradictory to the information given in the text page in this issue regarding the series’ beginnings. I would like to know where he got his information?

This issue of JLA begins the storyline that results in a major membership shakeup and the addition of many new and/or relatively unknown characters to the team. While I do agree that JLA had been stagnant for a while and something needed to be done, the changes made were highly questionable. I think history bears me out as it was generally regarded as a flop. I much prefer the 1987 revamp that came about after this series got canceled.

Post 903 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
MARVEL - Black Panther #8 (2022 - John Ridley; DC- New Champion of SHAZAM #1 (4 issue limited series).
Post 904 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Finally able to do some reading this AM....

Hulk#8..not bad...Moon Knight, Black, White & Blood #4...really really liked this issue.
Post 905 IP   flag post

Just finished reading this one. Very highly recommended! The entire package is just awesome! Paul Gulacy’s art on this is unbelievably amazing, enhanced by the coloring and the paper quality. Doug Moench creates memorable characters and puts them in an interesting situation. Really great stuff!

Re-reading the first 12 issues of Alpha Flight for the first time since they were new has really changed my opinion of the series. Back when I was a teenager I felt that the series never flowed well, with too many stories focusing on individual members and too many back-up features focusing on team members’ pasts. While it may be true that there was a lack of slam bang super team action in those issues, I am amazed at how John Byrne manages to tie all the character bits and background pieces neatly together to tell one coherent story by issue 12. The work is truly brilliant and far sighted, well beyond what I got out of it as a 13 year old. This series has definitely been one of the rewards of going back and re-reading all this stuff!

And speaking of being rewarded and seeing the larger picture with greater clarity, this issue of Fanfare really got me thinking. While the two stories in the issue were entertaining but nothing particularly special, it was the letters page that really set me to thinking. There was a letter printed from Ivan Martin. Although I didn’t know Ivan back in 1984, he and I became good friends back in our APA days of the late 90s and early 2000s and still keep in touch to this day. Just kind of made me think about how small a group we lifelong hobbyists really are and just how many decades we have been doing this.

Post 906 IP   flag post
Collector Whammykablam private msg quote post Address this user
Ant-Man (2022) #2
Amazing Fantasy #1000
Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi #3-4
White Widow #1
The Nice House on the Lake #2
Post 907 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
An Lol in a 1976 Creepy? Is it the first???

Post 908 IP   flag post
Another great issue of Blackhawk this time around. As it had been quite a while since I read the last one, I thought I might have been missing an issue. I did a little digging and found that I hadn’t missed an issue, what happened was that the book had gone bi-monthly. A little bit of digging in the other direction informed me that there are only two more issues left until the end of the run. I am really going to miss this comic! I understand why Evanier and Spiegle had to give it up. The pair was also producing Crossfire every month for Eclipse, not to mention a two issue adaptation of Tarzan of the Apes for Marvel. Evanier’s DNAGENTS were exploding in popularity at that time, leading to spin off mini-series and the like. The pair were just too busy to keep Blackhawk going any longer. It’s a shame, though, because these comics are simply amazing in story and art. Unknown and underrated and something everyone should check out.

Another book that has increased my interest lately is Conan the King. When they changed the title from King Conan, they also changed the format from single issue stories to an ongoing fantasy epic, something not tried in the other Conan books. The stories and art are excellent, and the experiment successful overall, although this comic suffers from being published bi-monthly. There are so many complexities and things that carry over from past issues that it becomes difficult to keep track of when you have read 150 other comics since the last issue. I may have to sit down and read this entire run uninterrupted at some point to get the most out of it.

I have also been going back and revisiting Tomb of Dracula lately. I am a huge fan of the original novel; one of the greatest books EVER written, no lie! If you’ve never read it you are missing out. Tomb of Dracula doesn’t live up to the standards set by Stoker, but it is enjoyable. The writing in the early issues is a little choppy, with three different writers over the first six issues. Marv Wolfman comes on with issue seven to provide stability and steer the title to much greater heights. Gene Colan’s art is incredible throughout. His style is perfectly suited for the material and looks even better in the black and white Marvel Essentials volumes. Some artists just look better in black and white. Colan is definitely one of them.

Post 909 IP   flag post
That pile of Creepy magazines got me hooked. I’m adding these to my weekly pick ups. Heck, I’m thinking about filling out a subscription and acquiring them old school.

Post 910 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Caught up on some of the past few months of my pull list.

Patch was kinda cool. A nice old school romp with some modern day stuff that kind of felt out of place with a Cold War setting.

The Punisher stuff is better than I would have thought given the character's somewhat controversial usage of the past few years. The story with the Hand is a bit of a different take but it's piqued my interest.

IDW's main TF run ends with Fate of Cybertron. The initial run IDW put together from 2005-2018 was phenomenal. It fizzled a bit with the 2019 run but managed to hold itself together long enough to not go out sucking.

Post 911 IP   flag post
@StudleyDudley, I read Punisher 6 and predator 2 last night. Both are cool, especially the Punisher installment.
Post 912 IP   flag post
Haven’t reported in for a while on this thread, but I had a really great day of comic book reading today. A very diverse and interesting batch of books, all with something interesting to offer. All of these comics are winners and recommended if you get the chance to check them out:

Post 913 IP   flag post
I like bean sprouts. James42 private msg quote post Address this user
I think the best thing I read this weekend was the new Fantastic Four #1. Really unusual for a #1 issue, but really good.
Post 914 IP   flag post
I was pleasantly surprised with this 1.

Post 915 IP   flag post
Bump to save from archive.
Post 916 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Anybody know where I can find an online copy of crime SuspenStories 19.

I have the book being graded and was thinking it might be nice to know what the story was.
Post 917 IP   flag post
@Bronte try readcomiconline.li
Post 918 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
@Bronte try readcomiconline.li

Make sure your antivirus software is up to date. Norton had a field day with that site.
Post 919 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Flanders was nice enough to send me a clean link. I'm good. Thank you
Post 920 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@Bronte if you enjoy that read, you might want to look at the EC classics reprints. They are magazine size but have covers on both the front and the back. The pictures below represent 3 books:
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=487291

Post 921 IP   flag post
I still have four stacks of current stuff and several other boxes of drek to read. This is what I read through this week.

Transformers Shattered Glass II was ok. Kinda felt disjointed at times but it was there to sell toys. That wrapped up the last original work IDW had before the TF license goes to a new unnamed publisher.

Working my way through the various Star Wars titles. Quick reads, kinda fun, if not very memorable. Probably can't justify the price. But every issue is a key because there are so many unimportant first appearances. Marvel is really pushing Solo's old girlfriend to the moon with all the attention she's been getting in the comics. Mandalorian is kinda bullshit. It's just a way late adaptation of the first season of the show. Removed from pull list.

Post 922 IP   flag post

Post 923 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished reading this series on my Kindle Fire. This is probably the best comic book I have read in years.

Post 924 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
This was also very well done.

Post 925 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Some new...1 old. Love my Saturday morning reading....one of the best parts of my week.
Post 926 IP   flag post
Some of my recent reads:

Post 927 IP   flag post
Last batch of the year. Working through my pull list this past week. I kinda forgot what happened in some of these.

Home Sick Pilots. The series wrapped up with #15. It had a very cool concept that unfolded later in the series after starting off as a straight horror/Twilight Zone vibe. It could have been better but not bad.

Time Before Time. Very cool series. Art has been better and solid writing makes it enjoyable. It can be confusing with the time jumps but it's fun.

North Bend season 2. Very cool. Like what the conspiracy theory dipshits would think happens with the government essentially making sleeper agents to infiltrate "threats" to the establishment.

One of my comic resolutions is to finish my last four stacks of pull list books before more stuff keeps getting added to it.
Post 928 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoyed reading these that I received from @xkonk in the holiday gift exchange.

Post 929 IP   flag post
Finished another stack of books this week.

That Texas Blood. Good story and the Christmas special was a nice change of pace story from the previous six issues of heavy. Not a lot of words so hard to justify the $4/issue price point but it is good.

Something is Killing the Children. Price point is a bitch but I enjoy the story. This last storyline builds on Erica Slaughter going rogue. I like where it's headed.

House of Slaughter. Digs into the backstory of the Order of St George. Not bad.

Undiscovered Country. I do like this one. Just lost since I fell behind a while back. I feel like this series is heading for its conclusion.

Just a few more stacks of pull list to get through...
Post 930 IP   flag post
601502 999 30