Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
The Alias Omnibus. Some guy named @sborock recommended it.

Post 876 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Finished both the main Transformers series and the War's End miniseries. They focus on different aspects of the war to save the planet before the war that send the planet back into chaos. The entire IDW 2019 continuity was a slow-burn and the first few issues were Phantom Menace levels of painful to read. It redeemed itself as it went on. One one-shot left (Fate of Cybertron) to wrap IDW's 2019 continuity before the license ends this year. Also read the first issue of Last Bot Standing. Not sure where it is going but it has me intrigued. Probably helps that Nick Roche and EJ Su are working on it and those two were never slouches to the brand.

Post 877 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Today’s reads so far:

Mage #1 is a great first issue, although it is obvious that Matt Wagner still had a ways to go with his artwork at that point. His perspective is not 100% in some places, but this does show flashes of his future greatness. The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones is probably the best comic that I wasn’t reading back in 1984. I don’t think I have been let down by an issue yet. On the other hand, Vigilante,(another book that I wasn’t reading back then) is a title that I really struggled getting through for the first few issues. I was actually considering dropping out, but it appears to be turning the corner. The last two issues have been better and I am now actually interested in what will happen next. Great issue of Moon Knight this time around, setting the stage for the series finale next issue. I was heavy into Moon Knight back then. I even had a subscription, which carried over to the Fist of Konshu series after the original got canceled.
Post 878 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Couple of days ago I read this

As a first appearance story it is quite good. Though the character has changed since in it's evolution this story stands up today for a first appearance.
Post 879 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
This is a shoe-in for the "Best Single Issue" Eisner. A very fun read.

Post 880 IP   flag post

I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
The Last Ronin #1-5
Post 881 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Catching up before all the July issues flood in. Enjoying it so far.

Post 882 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
This one was a lot to take in......

Post 883 IP   flag post
Started in on the June ‘84 issues. It’s always fun starting a new month as it means a giant stack to dig into and a fun dilemma in where to begin. I decided to start off with these:

Blue Devil is fun ‘80s book that I haven’t revisited since those days. Crossfire is a very solid, somewhat unknown book that I highly recommend to anyone looking for a good read. Since I consider myself to be a well read individual, particularly where comics are concerned, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that this is my first time reading Kirby’s New Gods. This deluxe baxter paper edition collects the first two issues, which I enjoyed thoroughly and am now looking forward to the rest of the series. Secret Wars, Firestorm and Avengers were also very enjoyable. No duds in this batch!
Post 884 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
The MARVELS #11 and #12 (Busiek / Cinar) - #11 has one of those "infinity covers."
Post 885 IP   flag post
A lot of great stuff among today’s reading. This batch is truly a testimony to the quality and diversity of the new comics that were coming out back then. Most of these series hadn’t even reached double digits yet, but they all brought something unique and interesting to the table.

Post 886 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Read these last night

Post 887 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross you read Superman #23 last night? Impressive!
Post 888 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
I grabbed a few copies of Batman #125 just to see what direction Zdarsky and crew were going to go. Was a pretty good read, I might pick the sub up to follow along for a bit.

Also read a bunch of current subs I have gotten in. We Have Demons, some Vampi titles, Black Adam, King Spawn, and Quests Aside.
Post 889 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia I've a stack of books I'm slowly reading thru
Post 890 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
@EbayMafia I've a stack of books I'm slowly reading thru

Well I'm only on Superman #20 in my reading stack. So no spoilers please.
Post 891 IP   flag post

Haven't read modern Batman's in some time and found these two not bad, especially 125 that seems to be a new kick off in stories.
Post 892 IP   flag post

Post 893 IP   flag post
Just finished this great issue of G.I. Combat and it got me thinking about how so many great DC non-superhero books like G. I. Combat, Sgt. Rock and Jonah Hex would fade from the stands entirely as the 1980s progressed. I think it had to do with the change in distribution from the newsstand system to comic book specialty shops. While these kinds of books were able to eke out a living on the newsstand, to readers who weren’t comic book “fans” per se, they likely were poor sellers in the superhero dominated comic book specialty stores. As newsstand distribution began to fade away, these excellent books, which had something different and special to offer, became casualties of the changing distribution system.😕

Post 894 IP   flag post
Time to dig into the July 1984 issues!

I kicked things off with this one:

A solid issue but, sadly, the final issue of this comic. Rio by Doug Wildey is a feature that I really enjoyed. I don’t know of it appearing anywhere else after this series. Fortunately the Masked Man (a very underrated comic) graduated into his own series after Eclipse Monthly folded. Cap’n Quick and a Foozle, another EM staple, also got a double sized special which is in this month’s reading stack.
Post 895 IP   flag post
I read this the other night. I'm a fan of the original series which can be watched for free on Tubi atm.
The story was ok, not the greatest. Since I have a one I'll try to get the rest of the run cheap in the future.
I do like some of the earlier photo covers though I'll pick up raw copies to read.

Post 896 IP   flag post
@southerncross Dark Shadows is an underrated show! I was watching it for a while on Pluto and/ or Amazon Prime Video. I think I left off about halfway through the second season. It might be time to pick up on it again.
Post 897 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp Tubi is free so you can download the app on TV or Kindle.

It has from the beginning so the very first episode.

Or you can jump in when Willie tries to rob Barnabas's coffin.
Post 898 IP   flag post
I'm not a plagiarist. I'm also not illiterate. drmccoy74 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

As a first appearance story it is quite good. Though the character has changed since in it's evolution this story stands up today for a first appearance.
hope you read that one on your kindle fire. I'm to scared to read my valuable books man. You must be very careful
Post 899 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmccoy74
Quote:

hope you read that one on your kindle fire. I'm to scared to read my valuable books man. You must be very careful

Yep I read it, just didn't fold back the pages and read it in one hand 🤣
Post 900 IP   flag post
The most expensive raw book I read was a Avengers 1, at least at the time it was 10 times cheaper then what it is worth today.

I'd probably read it today but would never send it thru the post to get graded if I hadn't got it graded years ago.
Post 901 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Reading Maus for the 1st time.
Post 902 IP   flag post
Yesterday’s reads:

I have always been fond of the scarecrow.

Al Milgrom gave this title a boost when he took over the writing chores as well as the art on Spectacular. It was probably the best Spider-book during that period.

Blue Devil continues to hold my interest. I find it interesting that in the recent MCS email, Odinson claims this series was originally offered to Steve Ditko who turned it down. That seems to be directly contradictory to the information given in the text page in this issue regarding the series’ beginnings. I would like to know where he got his information?

This issue of JLA begins the storyline that results in a major membership shakeup and the addition of many new and/or relatively unknown characters to the team. While I do agree that JLA had been stagnant for a while and something needed to be done, the changes made were highly questionable. I think history bears me out as it was generally regarded as a flop. I much prefer the 1987 revamp that came about after this series got canceled.

Post 903 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
MARVEL - Black Panther #8 (2022 - John Ridley; DC- New Champion of SHAZAM #1 (4 issue limited series).
Post 904 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Finally able to do some reading this AM....

Hulk#8..not bad...Moon Knight, Black, White & Blood #4...really really liked this issue.
Post 905 IP   flag post
601494 999 30