Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Oh hey I gotta quote that so your ignorant ass understands....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@HeinzDad Honestly, they destroyed the Punisher... Now he's working for the Hand, whom worship a demon that brings back his wife... and as long as he continues to work for them, they will bring back his kids...

So, they made Frank, that came to the realization that his family was gone for good; came to terms with this loss, to fuel his emptiness and hate to continue to do what he does, to be the Punisher...

Has now bent to the knee to a group that Daredevil, Ironfist etc has defeated, just so Marvel can remove his Iconic Skull and Guns..... and turned him into a ninja...

They destroyed the Punisher we all love... They should have just Killed him off.... For good.
They will never get any of my money on this series...

Like I said leave BS out of this....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Meaning the change is inconsequential? Or you are angry too?
inconsequential and no reason to not read an exceptional book. Thanks for asking actually, I realized my thought didn’t script proper.
Post 851 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Time to start reliving some of Benjamin Jacob Grimm's other adventures.

Post 852 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for being a dick.

Why you mad at me? I was just stating they should have just killed him off and made a new character cause the real Punisher we all love is gone.
Post 853 IP   flag post
Collector GanaSoth private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Oh hey I gotta quote that so your ignorant ass understands....

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanaSoth
@HeinzDad Honestly, they destroyed the Punisher... Now he's working for the Hand, whom worship a demon that brings back his wife... and as long as he continues to work for them, they will bring back his kids...

So, they made Frank, that came to the realization that his family was gone for good; came to terms with this loss, to fuel his emptiness and hate to continue to do what he does, to be the Punisher...

Has now bent to the knee to a group that Daredevil, Ironfist etc has defeated, just so Marvel can remove his Iconic Skull and Guns..... and turned him into a ninja...

They destroyed the Punisher we all love... They should have just Killed him off.... For good.
They will never get any of my money on this series...

Like I said leave BS out of this....

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
Meaning the change is inconsequential? Or you are angry too?
inconsequential and no reason to not read an exceptional book. Thanks for asking actually, I realized my thought didn’t script proper.

OK so you called me ignorant and a dick. Good luck with that.
Post 854 IP   flag post
Hey, go google the search on a book that hasn’t been read and the shoe fits.
Post 855 IP   flag post

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished a couple of books that wrapped up major storylines. Coincidentally, both feature wraparound covers as well. Sabre is an obscure and underrated 80s title. I don’t think Billy Graham was the best suited artist for the book, but McGregor’s characters have depth and his storyline is interesting and well thought out. The Micronauts special edition wraps up the original 12 issue story arc by Mantlo and Golden. This is something all comic book lovers should read! The first dozen and last dozen issues of Micronauts are absolutely classic. There was something of a drop off in the middle of the run, which Mantlo addresses in his text piece in this book. Apparently, since the Micronauts were based on toys, the toy company had some input into the project. They felt that the size issue was a key element to the product and wanted it played up in the comics. This meant finding reason after contrived reason to bring the Micronauts back to earth, where everything is much bigger than they are, instead of the more serious SF/ space opera direction that Mantlo wanted to take it. It wasn’t until after the toy line folded that he was able to return to his original vision and take the series in the direction he wanted it to go.

Post 856 IP   flag post

This is the first George Perez drawn comic that I have read since his recent passing and proof that his work will endure forever. I originally bought this comic on New Year’s Eve of 1983/ 1984. It seems like such a long time ago in some ways, not so long ago in others. This was really a great period for Perez and the Titans. The 1984 baxter book was just about to explode onto the scene, giving us two Titans books each month. It was probably the greatest single year in Titans history, with both the Terra/ Terminator/ Nightwing epic and the return of Trigon saga/ baxter series debut happening simultaneously! Certainly a high water mark for the medium and just one of many reasons why George Perez will never be forgotten.
Post 857 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I adjusted my work schedule starting this year. It’s allowed me more time for activities.

I’m only half way thru volume24 here but I started it yesterday afternoon while I was laughing at the Cowgirls.

how was the comic ?
Post 858 IP   flag post
I called CGC about the giveback benefit. beastboy1980 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp

This is the first George Perez drawn comic that I have read since his recent passing and proof that his work will endure forever. I originally bought this comic on New Year’s Eve of 1983/ 1984. It seems like such a long time ago in some ways, not so long ago in others. This was really a great period for Perez and the Titans. The 1984 baxter book was just about to explode onto the scene, giving us two Titans books each month. It was probably the greatest single year in Titans history, with both the Terra/ Terminator/ Nightwing epic and the return of Trigon saga/ baxter series debut happening simultaneously! Certainly a high water mark for the medium and just one of many reasons why George Perez will never be forgotten.

those titans comics were must reads

marv and perez made you feel invested into the characters
i have never read a comic that made you care about what was going to happen next with the titans.
its a treasure to comics
if DC comics was smart they would bring back the titans team from the 1980's and hand it back over to marv wolfman and pick a great artisit
its time to bring back the team
Post 859 IP   flag post
@beastboy1980 Titans was a pretty important book for DC. As with many other readers, it was probably the first DC that made my “never miss an issue” list. In the early ‘80s, I was mainly a Marvel zombie who occasionally bought a Batman, Flash or JLA here or there. Titans and All-Star Squadron broke that pattern and led to me buying more DCs.
Post 860 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastboy1980
Quote:
I adjusted my work schedule starting this year. It’s allowed me more time for activities.

I’m only half way thru volume24 here but I started it yesterday afternoon while I was laughing at the Cowgirls.

how was the comic ?
Which one? They are all TPB’s, but all are good.
Post 861 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Turns our prime members of Amazon have access to free comics. I just read the oath with Dr strange and thor with Jane foster picking up his hammer... both were pretty good reads.
Post 862 IP   flag post
Wait, a woman lifted Thor's hammer? Thats it, "they' took Thor from us.
Post 863 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The stack is getting a little lower.

Post 864 IP   flag post
This has been at the bottom of my weekly pile for a little while. It was a "save the best for last' thought for me. The Cates Hulk run is frigging goofy but it's written well so I just go with it. It appears as if I'll get 3 issues or so of Planet Hulk brutality with undertones of Cates?

I could be wrong but I haven't picked up Thor 25 yet so no spoilers please.

Post 865 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
DC: Earth Prime #4 (Stargirl)
MARVEL: Amazing Spider-Man #1 (2022 Reboot - Jim Zub)
Post 866 IP   flag post
Read this one today. Aztec Ace is an interesting book about a time traveler from the future who works to foil the schemes of a secret society bent on unraveling the time stream (and history as we know it). It’s an entertaining read with lots of great period stuff, historical figures, etc., but I will warn you ahead of time that it is an extremely wordy and somewhat complicated read. Set aside some distraction free time when you can sit down and slowly absorb this book and it will be a rewarding experience.

Post 867 IP   flag post
This is an amazing comic! Great story by Mike W. Barr with awesome artwork by Golden and DeCarlo. Batman faces his criminal mirror image. If you have never read this, I highly recommend seeking out a copy. It was originally intended to be the 1983 Batman Annual, but was so late getting completed that it was published in 1984 as Batman Special #1.

Post 868 IP   flag post
Spent some time yesterday and today catching up on my reading. An interesting and diverse batch of material this time around. The first issue of Evangeline is intriguing. The storyline didn’t contain much outside of the basic setup and a lot of gunfire, but I liked the premise of the revenge driven nun roaming around Mars racking up a substantial body count. I also liked Judith Hunt’s artwork and was impressed with inker Ricardo Villagran’s ability to ink her work without his own very different style overpowering the pencils. Star Reach Classics is a bit of a mixed bag, featuring the 1970s work of many creators who became big names in the 80s. This particular issue is a little subpar, not representative of the best the series has to offer. Comics Review (later Comics Revue) was a magazine that ran an entire month’s worth of various newspaper comic strips each issue. The early issues mainly contain humor strips, but the focus quickly changed to more of a mix of humor and adventure strips, which I preferred. Finally finished reading the last of the super deluxe Adams/ O’Neil Green Lantern/ Green Arrow reprints. It strikes me as funny that when I first read these books decades ago it didn’t really register with me that they were blatantly intended as left wing political propaganda. Not sure if my younger self never saw this because I just wasn’t political or because I leaned more to the left myself back then. Also read Savage Sword and Star Wars from my trade collections. Around 1983/ 1984 John Buscema did several Conan stories (both in SSOC and in the regular title) where he contributed both plot and artwork. These are the only stories I remember him being involved on the writing end. Star Wars had firmly entered the post Return of the Jedi period, with this issue being set immediately after the movie. The storyline is decent, but I am just not a fan of Ron Frenz’s artwork.

Post 869 IP   flag post
X-Men RED #1
Post 870 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Just ok so far with this first issue. Typical vampire fare.

Post 871 IP   flag post
Finally finished this tpb. Interesting story. Kind of slowed down for a few issues but sucked me back in with issue 6. Looks like I'm in til the end now.

Post 872 IP   flag post
Batman 2022 Annual - looks like DC will reintroduce "Batman Incorporated" later in 2022.
Post 873 IP   flag post
Spent the last few days digging into the May 1984 cover dated issues in my collection. What a great time to be reading comics that was! So many new and exciting things were happening then, so many things were changing within the hobby. The sheer volume of stuff that was coming out was just overwhelming. I did a quick count and I have 87 different issues from this month in my collection. That’s not even everything that was published, maybe around 85-90%. I added up the US cover price for these 87 comics when new and came up with $83.80. Even if you were a serious adult collector in early ‘84, keeping up with everything that was coming out was a major financial commitment! Some pretty important stuff came out that month. Spidey’s new black costume made its debut. The first issue of Mage from Comico generated a lot of buzz. Probably the most significant comic book released that month was Secret Wars #1.

Secret Wars was an immediate sensation for Marvel and, IMO is what kept Marvel on top throughout 1984 amidst some very heavy competition. DC was close to making a move in ‘84. They gave us the hardcover/softcover Legion and Teen Titans experiment, as well as some exciting new and diverse titles such as Atari Force and Blue Devil. The First Comics line were also must reads then, and new independent publishers were popping up seemingly every month with something interesting and exciting. Secret Wars single-handedly kept Marvel on top that year mainly by revitalizing interest across their entire line. Virtually all of the major Marvel Universe heroes were involved in the Secret War. If there were some Marvel heroes you were no longer reading regularly, Secret Wars reminded you just how great those characters are and inspired you to go back and revisit them. For me personally, 1984 would be the last year that Marvel was clearly #1. Secret Wars served to strengthen and promote what Marvel had already built, while the other guys were forging ahead breaking new ground. DC cleaned Marvel’s clock in 1985 and 86. While DC gave us Crisis on Infinite Earths, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen and John Byrne’s Superman, Marvel gave us Secret Wars 2 and the New Universe😑. To me, Secret Wars and 1984 will always represent the final phase of Marvel’s dominance in the comic book world.
Post 874 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Read this book, I do enjoy the DC horror books. Fun reads.
1st appearance of Swamp Thing.

Unlike other first appearances where the artwork, stories and the character are sub-par to how they are eventually written and drawn.
This first appearance story is top notch.

Post 875 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
The Alias Omnibus. Some guy named @sborock recommended it.

Post 876 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Finished both the main Transformers series and the War's End miniseries. They focus on different aspects of the war to save the planet before the war that send the planet back into chaos. The entire IDW 2019 continuity was a slow-burn and the first few issues were Phantom Menace levels of painful to read. It redeemed itself as it went on. One one-shot left (Fate of Cybertron) to wrap IDW's 2019 continuity before the license ends this year. Also read the first issue of Last Bot Standing. Not sure where it is going but it has me intrigued. Probably helps that Nick Roche and EJ Su are working on it and those two were never slouches to the brand.

Post 877 IP   flag post
Today’s reads so far:

Mage #1 is a great first issue, although it is obvious that Matt Wagner still had a ways to go with his artwork at that point. His perspective is not 100% in some places, but this does show flashes of his future greatness. The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones is probably the best comic that I wasn’t reading back in 1984. I don’t think I have been let down by an issue yet. On the other hand, Vigilante,(another book that I wasn’t reading back then) is a title that I really struggled getting through for the first few issues. I was actually considering dropping out, but it appears to be turning the corner. The last two issues have been better and I am now actually interested in what will happen next. Great issue of Moon Knight this time around, setting the stage for the series finale next issue. I was heavy into Moon Knight back then. I even had a subscription, which carried over to the Fist of Konshu series after the original got canceled.
Post 878 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Couple of days ago I read this

As a first appearance story it is quite good. Though the character has changed since in it's evolution this story stands up today for a first appearance.
Post 879 IP   flag post
This is a shoe-in for the "Best Single Issue" Eisner. A very fun read.

Post 880 IP   flag post
601294 999 30