Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson Thanks. I am trying to think back and I can’t recall ever seeing Paul Smith at the Motor City Con (although it is possible that I could have missed him). It could be that he lives in a different part of the country and just doesn’t make it out this way. Or perhaps he just doesn’t do many public signings. Your comment makes me think that it may be the latter.
Post 801 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Rad the first chapter of ‘Kingdom Come’ last night.

One of those “classics” I just never got around to before. I’ll be reading the second chapter later today.

Man, Ross just operates on a different level.
Post 802 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
I adjusted my work schedule starting this year. It’s allowed me more time for activities.

I’m only half way thru volume24 here but I started it yesterday afternoon while I was laughing at the Cowgirls.

Post 803 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Finished the second story arc + the Christmas special. I enjoy this series quite a bit. The Christmas special had a BA DC horror vibe to it.

Post 804 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
just 4 issues of the original super sons run from 2018. I have a little over 100 comics I need to read that Ive had unread since 2019
Post 805 IP   flag post

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user
Re-reading The Sandman.

Pre Netflix series prep (haven’t read it in over 20 years).
Post 806 IP   flag post
Some highlights from the January 1984 issues so far:

Frank Miller’s Ronin continues to amaze! Can’t wait to see how it ends!

The Trial of Reed Richards is an amazing issue of FF. If you have never read this, it is a must read. Richards faces an intergalactic trial for saving the life of Galactus, thereby indirectly causing the death of billions of Galactus’ subsequent victims. Witnesses include Odin and Eternity. We also learn the origin of Galactus. Crazy good issue!

This is a fondly remembered issue that still stands up today. A touching story with great characterization, which is what set the Titans apart from the average super-team comic.

First Comics’ Mars is an underrated and overlooked comic. I think a lot of people passed on this one because of the art style, which is definitely a departure from the Kirby/ Adams school of comic book art. If you haven’t given this comic a chance, you are really missing out on something good! I strongly urge you to give this series a try!

Tim Conrad’s Thrillogy is a comic that I read for the first time recently and it really blew my mind! Absolutely incredible depth of both story and art. I don’t know how I missed this one for so many years, but man am I glad I found it! I can’t recommend this highly enough!

I had to read this one from my trade collection because I wasn’t willing to pay a crazy price to replace my time lost copy. The January 1984 issues heralded the debut of Alan Moore’s Swamp Thing run. This was another “wow” moment in comics history, where a formerly mediocre title is suddenly transformed into something AWESOME! I am reminded of Simonson’s Thor as far as immediate impact and complete transformation of an established book. Fun to relive that experience.
Post 807 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Green Lantern #9 (Thorne / Raney / Santucci)
Post 808 IP   flag post
Finally finished War of the Bounty Hunters. I liked it. Fills in some gaps since the old EU no longer applies to the SW universe now.

X-Men Legends hits the nostalgia buttons for a better time of X-books.

I like where this one is going but it needs more words. It's difficult to justify paying for new issues when I read it in 5 minutes.
I'll give it a couple more issues.

Supposedly wrapping up with #18. It's been a fun ride.
Post 809 IP   flag post
being an ass and being a clown are two very different things. HAmistoso private msg quote post Address this user

Post 810 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp Mars was a FANTASTIC series! Most hobbyists don't even know about it. Sad, because it's such a fun read.
Post 811 IP   flag post
I’m welcoming Jaime Delano back into the fold in John Constantine, Hellblazer: Pandemonium.

The thing that always struck me about Delano Hellblazer was how much I’d re read pages. Even now, it’s hard to differentiate between an acid trip or reality. What’s weird is that it always ends up being real in the story.
Post 812 IP   flag post
Collector Frontier2Xterra private msg quote post Address this user
Listening to this while in bed if that counts.

Post 813 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
I'm starting to develop Moon Face again from being on prednisone for too many months so it seems like a good time to start reading Moon Knight for the first time.

Post 814 IP   flag post
Yesterday and this evening.

Post 815 IP   flag post
Read these earlier in the week.

Post 816 IP   flag post
Some highlights from the Feb 84 issues so far:

Sun Runners #1 was an interesting comic which I had never read before. An intriguing SF premise and a cast of quirky, unusual characters. I am looking forward to the next installment. I had to do some checking to see just how many issues of this book were published because by Feb 84 the end of Pacific Comics was imminent. Turns out that the series was picked up by Eclipse and later on by Sirius, so it appeared off and on through much of the 80s. Always fun to discover something new/ old!

Walt Simonson wrapped up his first Thor epic. Revolutionary and exciting stuff!

Speaking of revolutionary and exciting, American Flagg!-mania was beginning to set in at that time. Not only did this book boast great story and art but it caused more buzz in collecting circles than virtually anything that had come before it.

DC created some buzz of their own when they finally unveiled the new Robin (Jason Todd). We all new it was coming for quite a while, but it was still exciting when it actually happened.
Post 817 IP   flag post
I finished up with the FEB 1984 issues today. Somehow I am still right on schedule! A couple of my recent reads have underscored just how much my tastes have changed between now and then. Here is the first comic: Batman and the Outsiders 7:

Back when I was 14 and this was a new comic, I was very excited about this book. I wouldn’t say it was quite on par with X-men or Teen Titans, but it was still pretty high up on the list. Reading it as a 52 year old, it does very little for me. I do enjoy Jim Aparo’s art, but beyond that, I find the book has very little to offer. It reads like it was something that was put together just because DC knew the 14 year old fanboys would rush out and buy it. This particular issue was the conclusion of a two part storyline. It was so forgettable that when I started reading it, I couldn’t even remember if I had read the first part last month. I know I am reading 90-100 comics a month but, trust me, that is NOT normal. I had, of course, read part one a month ago. It was just that forgettable! I can’t fathom what it was I ever saw in this book.

On the other hand there is Judge Dredd 4:

I bought this comic as a new issue and it did absolutely nothing for me. Not sure exactly what it was that turned me off. Maybe the British style just seemed foreign to me. Whatever the reason, I never bought another issue. Reading it now, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the premise interesting and the setting intriguing (although there did seem to be a lack of relatable characters, which may have been part of my problem back then). I now find myself eager to read more Judge Dredd! Unfortunately this is the only issue I had in my collection, so I had to find an affordable set on EBay, which I did and which should arrive in plenty of time for next month’s issues.
Post 818 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user

Wow was this a violent comic. Im not complaining, Im shocked how much they have and not being a MAX comic.
It was good. Still letting it sink in. They sort of keep it true to the character. But at the same time you sort of go..uh..hmmm.

I just don't get the whole change the skull image..I know why they did it.. but in about a year, this skull will become the "new skull" people will be wearing. It is a little goofier.. looks like a motorhead album cover. Anyway.. it was a good read. But man is it bloody.
Post 819 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@Stopher999 cool!!! Happy to hear it was a good read!! I've got the B cover coming, but it won't be to me until the end of the month.
Post 820 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user

This was in one of the auction boxes I won, so I gave it a read.

Holy smokes! Illegal gambling, Extortion, Robbery, Assault, Murder ....... I guess I didn't realize getting a college education back in the day was so tough! LOL!
Post 821 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Read this, not bad Stan Lee story 👍
Post 822 IP   flag post
Marvel INFERNO - a little behind, but finished issues #3 and #4 last weekend.
Post 823 IP   flag post
A couple of really good recent reads: The second Superman special was a meaty story with Gil Kane handling the full art chores. It is classified as an “imaginary story” because it features Braniac in his original green form, not the computerized robot he had been transformed into several months prior to this comic. I got the feeling that this story was begun prior to the decision to “reboot” the Braniac character. I always preferred the original myself, and this is one of his better outings.

Another “imaginary story”. This one is a light hearted and fun comic which I really enjoyed. It serves as proof that comic books don’t have to be cosmic in scope or intensely serious in tone to be entertaining. I highly recommend both of these comics to anyone who wants to take an hour’s break from the real world. I promise it will be time we’ll spent!

Post 824 IP   flag post
TMNT annual 2022 was cool.
Post 825 IP   flag post
MARVEL: Eternals: The Heretic #1 (from what I see, this comic is a one shot book.)
For those of us that still get current comics, WESTFIELD COMICS (Madison WI) monthly flyer noted the following notice on its monthly e-mail: "Due to Marvel changing to a more fragile cover stock on their books we cannot guarantee a specific condition on the copies we ship for the foreseeable future. Many, if not most or all, of the Marvels we have been receiving have mechanical printer damage. While we do go through all the books we receive from our distributors we are unable to get replacements for this type of damage!"
Post 826 IP   flag post

Transformers: King Grimlock #1-5 mini series. Definitely takes inspiration from the G1 season three episode "Madman's Paradise" but really expands on that world and characters from it with some twists. Fairly good art and pacing in this series, unlike the main IDW TF series. I'm not positive what continuity this falls under. But a fun read if you're into mixing Transformers with fantasy.
Post 827 IP   flag post
Collector xvipah private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished catching up on a few new series I had let sit around and lag behind:
Hulk
Marvels
Devil's Reign

Radiant Red #1
Legends of the Dark Knight #8
Avengers Forever #'s 1 & 2
Post 828 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Pretty good first issue. I might pick-up future issues to see what's going on.

Post 829 IP   flag post
I read this series over a couple of days. I liked it. Kinda like Bizarro world Transformers. Autobots are bad, Decepticons are good. Personalities and color schemes are changed to reflect it. I believe the Shattered Glass line started with Fun Publications during the days of BotCon before Hasbro decided to shit on that show. I've seen some of the SG comics before but this might be IDW's first official work in that realm. I liked it and it ends on a cliffhanger. With IDW losing the license this year, I have no idea if it will be concluded. I had also bought some of the toys because they included the Hasbro Pulse exclusive variants. Some of the cooler toys were sold out before I knew that they existed with the variants.

Post 830 IP   flag post
600886 999 30