Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Since I buy a lot of my books out of the discount boxes at shows, I often just bring them home and file them away. I usually don’t go through them carefully until I actually sit down to read them. Every once in a while I find some sort of surprise, like the comic that was stapled into the cover backwards that I posted a while back. I found several issues of Amethyst where the original owner had carefully removed the ad pages from the magazines for some reason. They read fine, and I probably wouldn’t even have noticed if the books hadn’t been slightly lighter and thinner than normal. Sometimes I find a pleasant surprise. This book, for example:

When I opened up the book to read it I found it had been signed by the artist on the inside.

Not sure where I bought this one. Most likely a dollar box somewhere. It’s possible I got it from MCS, which is who I use to fill in holes after putting together the bulk of the runs through the discount boxes (I use EBay only as a last resort nowadays). Just curious how often this happens to the rest of you? I can think of at least two other examples off the top of my head where I found autographed comics in the 50 cent/ dollar boxes and didn’t discover it until later. If anyone is interested I will post them later on. If you have one to show, feel free to show it off.
Post 776 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I recently read this FCBD comic. I was shocked to find out that it is based in the Twin Cities of Minnesota!!!! It also has other Minnesota cities, like Duluth. There are several novels that feature Minnesota, but this is the first comic book series that I have ever seen, or heard of, being based in Minnesota. Throw in some vampires and you KNOW I'll be there!!! I bought the first issue from MCS and I should get it in a couple weeks. If it's as good as the FCBD comic, I'll get the back issues and add it to my preorders. This is looking like a good series.

I ended up buying the graphic novels of the series. I got them today along with my other MCS preorders and purchases. I read the first one today. I'd put it down only to pick it right back up. It's pretty good!! There is a role playing game called "Vampire: the Masquerade" and this series (Winter's Teeth), the next one (World of Darkness Crimson Thaw) and other graphic novels are about the characters in the game. In the back of the gn, there are character profiles and other assorted game related material. I find them interesting also, even thoughI don't play the game.

In a nutshell, the vampires in the Twin Cities (and other major cities) are set up like the mafia. This is the story of the main characters, the cliques, the politics and events that happen when the "boss" is betrayed and killed. The main group of characters are vampires of all sorts. However, there are also Werewolves, vampire hunters, a rat type of creature and other things that live in the darkness.

I'm loving this and I'm slowly getting drawn into their world. Honestly, there are very few comic series that draw me in and it's been a few years since I found one.

Post 777 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Since I buy a lot of my books out of the discount boxes at shows, I often just bring them home and file them away.

@michaelekrupp do you keep them all? How big has your collection grown from this?
Post 778 IP   flag post
@EbayMafia Yeah, I bought them all with the intention of keeping them. At my peak I probably had around 35 or 40 full long boxes in my PC. Back in the 80s and 90s I was able to build solid runs of just about every major title through the 2,3 and 4 for a dollar boxes. Probably from about the mid-70s through the early 90s. I quit buying new comics in ‘92 and have never really ventured beyond that, chronologically speaking. I also had a pretty impressive collection of golden and silver age books. Unfortunately I lost my job in 2006 and spent the next several years selling comics on the internet, working either part time or not at all until around 2010. At that point I had pretty much zero actual comics, although I had/ have most of the GA and SA stuff in collected editions. That period didn’t last long. By 2011 I was attending shows again, hitting the discount boxes mainly with the intent of recovering comics that I had bought and read as a kid. I also acquired an interest in Harveys at that point and began buying big lots of Harvey comics on EBay. My interests continued to evolve and I discovered the Harvey bound file sets, selling most of my floppy Harveys (excepting the giant size books) to finance this expensive interest. I have also expanded my collecting from just the comics I owned as a kid to nearly everything that came out during the years when I was an avid comic book reader (the 1980s). I have rebuilt to somewhere in the neighborhood of 15 long boxes of comics, probably 75-80% being 1980s books and many of these from the discount boxes.
Post 779 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just read DC vs Vampires #2 - again - a surprisingly good read - looking forward to #3!!
Post 780 IP   flag post

Finally working my way into the December 1983 issues. Hard to believe I am coming up on a full year of doing this! It has been a great deal of fun and I plan to continue on next year through 1984. I have learned a few things doing this. I enjoyed revisiting those comics that I loved 38 years ago (X-men, Titans, All-Star Squadron, the early First comics, etc.), but some of the comics I wasn’t reading back then have really blown me away! Back then I was pretty much a superhero fan and preferred Marvel to DC, although I read both. I never really appreciated how much more variety DC offered compared to Marvel. Series like Jonah Hex, Amethyst, Blackhawk, Creature Commandos and I… Vampire! have been high on my list of favorites from 1983. As far as what is currently on my reading plate, here is something I always thought was a pretty cool and well executed cover concept:

Batman and the Outsiders is a book I really liked in 1983 which hasn’t lived up to my memories of it so far. I really liked these two issues and am looking forward to revisiting them.

In addition to my 1983 reading, I like to pepper in some stuff from other eras for greater variety. I have been very much enjoying Carl Barks’ Donald Duck 10 pagers from the early issues of WDC&S. I have also been reading the early issues of Defenders. The early appearances in Marvel Feature, written by Roy Thomas, were OK but not great. When Steve Englehart took over with Defenders #1 is when things started to get good! I am coming up on the infamous Avengers-Defenders War from the early ‘70s amd am very much looking forward to that!

Post 781 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
IMAGE: Adventureman #6 (Fraction / Dodson / Dodson).
Post 782 IP   flag post
I got to pick some free comics from MCS and got Image Comics Tribe #1 from 1993. What a piece of trite unoriginal trash. In fact that's where it went after reading, in the trash...bag and board and all. If they ever make a Tribe movie I still won't care that I threw it away...it was that bad. I hope those creators are ashamed of themselves.
Post 783 IP   flag post
Couple other free books...MARVELS X #1 and #2. Those were pretty good. Compelling enough that I want to check out the rest of the series. I guess it's a prequel to Earth X...which I enjoyed and found memorable.
Post 784 IP   flag post
Some really good recent reads:

This issue of Dr. Strange wraps up a classic storyline involving Dracula. All the vampires in the Marvel universe were destroyed in this story, although I am sure they have since been brought back.

The Pantheon saga in World’s Finest has also been an entertaining read over the last few months. Recommended for anyone who hasn’t read it.

Another fun issue of US1, this one sporting an awesome cover by Michael Golden.

I have finished up a couple of mini series lately:

Hawkeye was a very entertaining and well done mini.

The same goes for Sword of the Atom, although this series left a lot of unanswered questions. I am looking forward to reading the follow up specials.

Thriller is a series I began reading last month. It is a 12 issue maxi-series that I have never read before. There is a lot going on here and I am not quite sure what to make of it two issues in. It is definitely intriguing and I am looking forward to seeing how the various moving parts are all tied together.
Post 785 IP   flag post
Just finished Micronauts Special Edition 1, reprinting the earliest issues of Micronauts. Man, does that take me back! This series was an instant hit when it was released and for good reason. Bill Mantlo’s cosmic storyline sucks you in immediately with engaging characters and interesting situations. As for the Michael Golden artwork, well, there is a reason that this is the series that made his reputation! This series brings back a lot of great personal memories for me. I remember buying issue #2 off the stands around the age of 9 (somehow I missed issue 1). I was hooked! And those toys!!! I remember getting Space Glider and Time Traveler the year they came out. Some of the coolest looking and best constructed action figures ever made!

Another noteworthy recent read is Whisper #1 from Capital Comics. While I knew this issue sported a Michael Golden cover, what I didn’t realize (or had forgotten) was that the Japanese characters at the bottom right is the artist’s signature in Japanese. Neat!

Story wise, Whisper is a tale of a young American girl trained as a ninja in Japan who, upon her return there is thrown into the underworld of the Yakuza, the Japanese mafia. She learns that the world she knew growing up was based on deceit and that her father, whom she thought had died in an accident, was actually murdered by his business partner, who went on to become her step father and trained the young girl in the art of ninjitsu. Rich Larson’s understated art style is highly effective in bringing writer Steven Grant’s story to life. Unfortunately, only two issues were published before Capital went under. The series was eventually picked up by First Comics, but with a years long delay between series, during which point I had lost interest. Revisiting this has got me curious about how it all turned out and I am adding the First series to my want list.
Post 786 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Merry Christmas to everyone.. snow in Jersey.. food drink and a nice Punisher Christmas comic.

Let's hope they don't screw up the new series too much.. they will.
Post 787 IP   flag post
I broke into the January 1984 titles last night. I am pretty pleased to have finished my 1983 project on schedule. It helped that I was on vacation last week, allowing me to make up some ground. These are the two comics I started off ‘84 with (mainly because they were on top of the stack 😉). Good reads both!

As for the 1983 project, here is a group photo of all the 1983 books I read this year. These aren’t the only comics I read over the course of the year, but they definitely represent the bulk of my reading this year.

Looking forward to doing 1984 next year. I will definitely need to bring my A-game, because the stacks for 1984 are even taller!😳
Post 788 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Was enjoying this series, but it took a turn..dragging out the story. Can understand why issue 28 is the last.
Really need a comic book person to take back Marvel, corperate is not working.
Post 789 IP   flag post
I blame the forum gremlins. figment private msg quote post Address this user
Just started. It has been a LONG time given that we don't own any of these anymore.

Post 790 IP   flag post
Read a couple of nice, meaty books this morning. First, this outstanding issue of G. I. Combat, which also sports a really cool cover:

Also this Star Trek III Movie Special. It has been many a year since I watched the movie, but this has me itching to dig out my old VHS tape! I will say that even in this 64 pages, no ads format, the ending seemed a little rushed. This special immediately preceded the launch of DC’s first Star Trek series, which I am looking forward to revisiting. I always thought that DC did the best job with Trek out of all the various publishers of Trek comics.

Post 791 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Batman: The Adventures Continue (Season Two) #7 - final issue for Season Two
Post 792 IP   flag post
Collector Cerebus3000 private msg quote post Address this user
I borrowed an electronic copy from the library and finally read the Watchmen series (finished yesterday). Delayed gratification. I do own all the individual comics, but for several years I didn't have the first issue. I did find it had a slow start, but *man* does it come together at the end. So much to love about that story and the method it was told.
Post 793 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I picked this DC Black Label book today at one of my LCS. I have been a fan of Jock for awhile and he also wrote this one. It was pretty good and I will be picking up book 2. It is funny that I very rarely buy a comic book and read it the same day.
Post 794 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
This is actually a (very) graphic novel!!! A friend of mine sent me it as a belated Christmas gift because she knew I loved horror and comics. It's been sitting by my bed since Sunday. I finally read it today. 212 pages in one sitting. I couldn't put it down!!! It is the true life story of Ed Gein done by Harold Schechter and Eric Powell.

If you don't know who Ed Gein was, he served as the inspiration behind Norman Bates in "Psycho", Leatherface in "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" and Buffalo Bill in "The Silence of the Lambs", just to name the top 3. Ed lived, robbed graves and killed in Wisconsin in the 1950s. My friend did a paper on him in college for abnormal psych class, has visited his grave site and is just very knowledgeable about him, but she told me tonight that she learned a few things from this book!!

If you are familiar with Eric Powell's Goon books, don't expect to see that style of art here. For this book, he went realistic, sometimes VERY realistic.

This book is NOT for the faint of heart!!! But if you pick it up, expect to finish it that day.

Post 795 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Friggin awesome......
Post 796 IP   flag post
I read a great Philip K. Dick short story yesterday that could easily be turned into a graphic novel. "The Last of the Masters" juxtaposes two extreme ends of the political spectrum. All of the worlds governments have been toppled by rioters due to fear of nuclear war. 200 years later the "Anarchist League" roams the earth, putting down any new form of government that starts to develop and reminding people that government leads to death by War. 99% of the world lives in anarchist squalor with high mortality rates and no formal education, health care or services. 1% live in a hidden community that is perfectly run by an aging Totalitarian A.I. The A.I. runs a safe and efficient community nation but is prepared to eliminate threats to his nation through any means necessary, i.e. executions and the re-introduction of War.
Post 797 IP   flag post
Elektra: Black, White, and Blood #1. Issue #2 looks like it’s going to have a sweet negative space cover!

Edit, added. I also read Daredevil:Woman Without Fear.

Post 798 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Parker
Message removed by moderator.

I smell bait.
Post 799 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Since I buy a lot of my books out of the discount boxes at shows, I often just bring them home and file them away. I usually don’t go through them carefully until I actually sit down to read them. Every once in a while I find some sort of surprise, like the comic that was stapled into the cover backwards that I posted a while back. I found several issues of Amethyst where the original owner had carefully removed the ad pages from the magazines for some reason. They read fine, and I probably wouldn’t even have noticed if the books hadn’t been slightly lighter and thinner than normal. Sometimes I find a pleasant surprise. This book, for example:

When I opened up the book to read it I found it had been signed by the artist on the inside.

Not sure where I bought this one. Most likely a dollar box somewhere. It’s possible I got it from MCS, which is who I use to fill in holes after putting together the bulk of the runs through the discount boxes (I use EBay only as a last resort nowadays). Just curious how often this happens to the rest of you? I can think of at least two other examples off the top of my head where I found autographed comics in the 50 cent/ dollar boxes and didn’t discover it until later. If anyone is interested I will post them later on. If you have one to show, feel free to show it off.

Paul Smith was a difficult signature for me to acquire. I was fortunate to pick one up last year. Good find in my opinion.
Post 800 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Thanks. I am trying to think back and I can’t recall ever seeing Paul Smith at the Motor City Con (although it is possible that I could have missed him). It could be that he lives in a different part of the country and just doesn’t make it out this way. Or perhaps he just doesn’t do many public signings. Your comment makes me think that it may be the latter.
Post 801 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Rad the first chapter of ‘Kingdom Come’ last night.

One of those “classics” I just never got around to before. I’ll be reading the second chapter later today.

Man, Ross just operates on a different level.
Post 802 IP   flag post
I adjusted my work schedule starting this year. It’s allowed me more time for activities.

I’m only half way thru volume24 here but I started it yesterday afternoon while I was laughing at the Cowgirls.

Post 803 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Finished the second story arc + the Christmas special. I enjoy this series quite a bit. The Christmas special had a BA DC horror vibe to it.

Post 804 IP   flag post
I don't want to brag, but cashiers are always checking me out. power_struggle55 private msg quote post Address this user
just 4 issues of the original super sons run from 2018. I have a little over 100 comics I need to read that Ive had unread since 2019
Post 805 IP   flag post
597868 999 30