What comic books have you read today?11515

PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo
@michaelkrupp

THANK YOU!

Marty
Post 726 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
I started into the September 1983 issues with this special edition reprinting the epic Kree-Skrull war storyline from the early 1970s. Been quite a while since I last read these. It’s a pretty interesting storyline with a lot of moving parts and good Neal Adams art. One thing I did notice is that writer Roy Thomas’ dialogue seems somewhat uninspired. The words and speech patterns used by Captain America and Iron Man could just as easily have been (and likely are) uttered by Johnny Quick and Commander Steel over in All-Star Squadron. Don’t get me wrong; I am a big fan of Roy’s work. But in the area of super team dialogue he appears to sometimes revert to formula.

Post 727 IP   flag post
Been in an indie comics groove today. Coyote is a book I am really enjoying. There seemed to be a long delay between issues 2 and 3. Fortunately a recap was provided on the inside cover to refresh my memory as to what was going on. I didn’t read this book back in the 80s, so it is fresh to me now. I highly recommend it; it is unlike anything else out there!

Also spent some time with the early First comics today. Both JSF and Starslayer are enduring classics that stand up to repeated readings. I am pretty sure this issue of JSF was the first issue I bought off the rack.

Somerset Holmes is another comic I missed back in the 80s. The first issue has me very intrigued! A young lady who can’t remember who she is and has no idea why people keep trying to kill her. Plus the backup feature with art by Al Williamson is likewise promising. It is done in the style of the old Republic movie serials. For some reason both issues 1 and 2 of this book are dated September ‘83 in the indicia. There must have been a delay with issue 1 and they failed to correct the date in the indicia of issue 2. Whatever the reason, they are both filed in my September issues. I wish I had the time to read issue 2 right now, but unfortunately it’s time to get ready for work 😕.

Post 728 IP   flag post

mm
Post 729 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Justice League #64 (Bendis / S. Pugh)
Post 730 IP   flag post

@martymann I reread Black Hood #1 and 2 fairly recently. I think I actually liked them better now than when I read them back in the ‘80s! Not sure if they aged well or if my tastes have changed over the years. #3 is next month’s stack, so I will be getting to it relatively soon.

This morning’s reads, all highly recommended:

Post 731 IP   flag post
@michaelekrupp Always enjoyed the Golden Age BLACK HOOD.

mm
Post 732 IP   flag post
Only had time to read one today, but it was a good one!

Post 733 IP   flag post
Superman and The Authority #3.
Telepaths (AWA) #1.
Post 734 IP   flag post
Frank Miller’s Ronin is a great read for those who haven’t read it yet. This issue focuses mostly on world building and character development, while still managing to advance the storyline. Miller goes all out on the artwork here and his efforts show in every panel. While “artsy fartsy” does nothing for me all by itself, when you put it together with a strong storyline, the result is a true classic!

The thing that jumps out at me the most in rereading G. I. Joe is just how well these stories have stood the test of time. I LOVED this comic as a kid, and I love it just as much revisiting them now! Absolutely amazing work!

Post 735 IP   flag post
A little beat up but always great reading.

mm
Post 736 IP   flag post
"FIGHTING CHANCE" #'s 425-437

mm
Post 737 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think I've read anything since early-mid July. If the Bengals start getting pasted, which is always a real possibility, I can dig into some comics before the TB vs LAR game. I have stacks of pull list books and back issues to go through.
Post 738 IP   flag post
Covering yesterday and today:

Post 739 IP   flag post

mm
Post 740 IP   flag post
DC: Midnighter 20201 Annual.
MARVEL: Captain Marvel #29 (2021).
Post 741 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
just read 1st issue of The Me You Love in the Dark - was very interesting - onto issue #2!!
Always a good sign when I'm looking forward to the next issue!
Post 742 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
just read 1st issue of The Me You Love in the Dark - was very interesting - onto issue #2!!
Always a good sign when I'm looking forward to the next issue!

" A few moments later..."

Done issue #2! - think I'll like this series - will ask the shop to add it to my pull list tomorrow when I go to pickup my Wednesday books!
Post 743 IP   flag post
Annuals, anyone?

The Superman annual was the surprise hit of the bunch. The lead story was a Superman/ Batman team up from the vault that looked like it was from about 1972! I love Alex Toth art and he does not disappoint here. The second feature is drawn by Curt Swan and features the artist actually meeting the man of steel in a story titled “I Flew With Superman”. Classics both!

The FF annual was a solid story with roots going back to FF#2. Marvel got quite a bit of mileage out of those three skrulls who were turned into cows at the end of FF2. Not only were they key players in the Kree-Skrull War, now we get to find out what effect Skrull cows have upon the ecosystem of an entire town. Interesting.

The Legion annual features the wedding of Karate Kid and Queen Projectra. Keith Giffen’s Legion art is always a pleasure and the wedding sequences were nicely done. The side story where a small group of Legionnaires get thrown back in time to ancient Rome was somewhat uninspired.
Post 744 IP   flag post
Read this and now I have to dig out DETECTIVE #551 and BATMAN #385
to finish the three part story.

mm
Post 745 IP   flag post
MARVEL Voices - Identity #1 (Peach Momoko variant cover.)
Post 746 IP   flag post
Just to change things up I am posting these in the order I enjoyed them. The Moon Knight may be my favorite issue of the entire run, while Crystar is a title that I am considering no longer continuing with.

Post 747 IP   flag post

Good issue of Cerebus, with a cute four pager in the back titled “Night of the Living Teddy Bears”.🧸 Great issue of Journey. The stories in Vortex are hit or miss, but this issue did have a cool dinosaur story. Hard to go wrong with dinosaurs. 🦖 Survivors is a title that features mediocre writing and sub-professional artwork and has little to recommend it.
Post 748 IP   flag post
Green Lantern 2021 Annual.
Post 749 IP   flag post
Verge #1 (of 4) - interesting idea -will ask LCS to add the others to my list!
Something opened up and dropped people from the past in NY - Vikings, Romans, Feudal Japanese, Cavemen etc. etc. and current detectives dealing with crimes etc. where they are kept (Manhattan Island)
Post 750 IP   flag post
I have been working on this volume here and there for most of the year, but I wanted to withhold commenting until I reached the end.

This collection reprints every appearance of the golden age Cat-Man. These are only the Cat-Man features, not the complete issues of Cat-Man Comics, although those collections are also available from Gwandanaland. This series is really an interesting microcosm of the entire golden age of comics. The character began as a straight up Tarzan clone, raised by jungle cats instead of apes. His original costume was basically little more than a loin cloth with a cape.

In the first stories he was given search light eyes, which they must have decided was a pretty dumb idea, as it was quickly revised to the ability to see in the dark. The loin cloth costume also quickly gave way a more traditional superhero outfit.

The Cat-Man was also given nine lives. He started off burning through them fast, but after being killed in the first three stories they must have realized that pattern was unsustainable, because he was only killed once more in the entire series.

When sidekicks became en vogue, Cat-Man was, of course, given one, although with a twist. He may have been the only golden age hero to have a young girl as his ward/ crime fighting assistant. The Kitten joined the cast in Cat-Man comics #5.

Like most WW2 era superheroes, Cat-Man’s foes were mainly foreign spies and saboteurs. At first, David Merryweather (AKA Cat-Man) would offer his assistance to police as an independent special investigator. After a while, the writers decided to put him in the army, which is where he caught most of his cases.

Cat-Man made his way through the war years using this formula and was initially cancelled as the superhero fad faded. He was quickly brought back however, with a new direction and different creators. The stories took on more of a crime comics feel. The violence was increased and the Kitten metamorphosed from a ten year old to a fully developed teenager. The origin story was reworked and Cat-Man and the Kitten went from foiling the plots of spies and saboteurs to battling the evil Dr. Macabre. The stories continued in this vein until the book was finally cancelled for good.

If you have any interest in Golden Age comics, this is a series that is well worth reading. I purchased this collection on Amazon. I don’t remember the exact price, but I think it was somewhere in the $30-$40 range. Gwandanaland has a wide variety of golden age collections available on Amazon. You can email Lance for a full list; you will be amazed at the selection!

Post 751 IP   flag post
I don’t have time to post all of my recent reads, so I am just going to post the top 5:

All were fantastic reads!
Post 752 IP   flag post
Captain America #28 through #30 (Coates / Kirk) - finished the run last night.
Post 753 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Entertaining reads. Trying to get caught up on stacks upon stacks of issues.

Post 754 IP   flag post
Read a trio of great Superman comics today, among others.

Post 755 IP   flag post
601280 999 30