Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

" . " Davethebrave private msg quote post Address this user

Post 651 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp I really liked The Thing series! Not senses shattering by any stretch, but a very fun read throughout the run.

I read X-Men Legends #1 and 2. These took place after the events of X-Men v2 #39. Good read and good art. Definitely evoked the feel of that early 90s X-Men I loved as a kid. #3 has Walt and Louise Simonson on a story that takes place just prior to X-Factor #43.

Post 652 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Planet-Size X-Men 2021 (Terry & Rachel Dodson Variant Cover)
Post 653 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
This was sitting on my reading pile for a bit. I saw it won an Eisner so I gave it a go.... fantastic!!!

Post 654 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

Full run of Champions from the 70's. Putting another dent into my To Be Read box. As with some of the other Bronze Age stuff I've read over the past year, I love the art, but the stories are very average.
Post 655 IP   flag post

I read PULP a few months back - good book.
Post 656 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Going thru a bunch of ZERO ISSUES from October 1994.

mm
Post 657 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
The first annual of 1983. Hit the stands around mid April. Wasn’t expecting too much but it was a pleasant surprise.

Here’s a pair of five star comics! If you get a chance to read either of these, do not pass on them!

Another pair of really solid reads. I have been enjoying both of these books immensely over the last several months.

This issue of Cerebus was something of an off issue, although still entertaining, as the book was shifting focus after the “High Society” storyline. This issue features three short Cerebus stories including an Elfquest spoof.

Post 658 IP   flag post
Going through my copies of THE MICRONAUTS ran across this...

mm
Post 659 IP   flag post
This was an awesome read! Thor and Dracula actually go toe to toe in this one. Highly recommend!

Post 660 IP   flag post
Moon Knight #1 (2021 relaunch from MARVEL) - there are close to 30 variant covers for issue #1!!
Post 661 IP   flag post
Some pretty good variety in this batch:

Vortex is a sci-fi anthology title. Like most anthologies the quality varies from story to story. I liked the first story because it reminded me of the old “Pigs in Space” serial from “The Muppet Show”. The second story was a good one involving the paradoxes of time travel. The third story didn’t do anything for me.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Another great issue in an overlooked and underrated series. Kull goes on a quest to find an amulet that has the power to save the life of a dying man. He also learns a lesson about trying to restore life to one already dead.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

An interesting and bizarre lead off story by DeMatteis. Man Thing encounters a rock star who is on the run after making a deal with the devil to achieve stardom. The backup story continues Gil Kane’s excellent adaptations from Kipling’s “Jungle Book”. Can’t recommend this one enough!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

No matter how many times I read the early Spider-Man stories they still seem fresh and exciting! This issue is no exception.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Another solid issue of G I Combat featuring a burning skull cover. The two Haunted Tank stories are the standouts of the issue, as usual.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

These hard boiled detective stories are a nice change up. Both Ms Tree and the Scythe are developing nicely. The famous detective pin ups and minute mysteries don’t do much for me. I would gladly trade them in for more of the other two features.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Historical period stuff is another underrated genre. Nobody does it better than Bill Loebs. This comic is awesome on so many levels! If you’ve never experienced it you are truly missing out on something good! Not sure if there is a trade collection or not but these issues are worth seeking out.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was an enjoyable story that spanned several years and two Earths. Even back in 1983 the Earth-2 Batman had already been dead for quite a while. The Batman and the Outsiders special features really just served to introduce everybody. I recall really enjoying BATO when I was a kid, although I have not revisited it since then. Looking forward to seeing how these stories stack up against my memories of them.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Both the Wonder Woman and Huntress features are heating up. I have noticed over the last several months that writer Dan Mishkin has a penchant for abrupt, unsatisfying endings. There have been a few times in recent months when the action just started to heat up and the story is suddenly over. WTF?!?
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Wrapping it up for today with another great issue of Camelot 3000. Unfortunately, knowing the future, I am aware that the wheels are about to come off and this book is going to go horribly off schedule, with the final six issues taking nearly two more years to be completed.😑
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Post 662 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user
Borrowed from the library.

Post 663 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Read the first two dozen or so issues of the 1970s Spider-Woman.
Post 664 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson I’ve been wanting to read that. Are the Masterworks the most affordable way to read the run at the moment?
Post 665 IP   flag post
I went to readallcomics.com and read them online.
Post 666 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user

Finally read the first Satriani Crystal Planet Issue. I think it will look great in a Crystal Clear CBCS encasement.
Post 667 IP   flag post
@flanders comics at the beach is the best! This is the only real advantage I have ever found for digest size comics. They are small enough to throw into a beach bag, sturdy enough to survive the trip, and thick enough to provide an afternoon’s reading on the sand.
Post 668 IP   flag post
I tried to read the first Black Panther series. The only ones I could stomach were the last two issues, 14 and 15.
Post 669 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator

Finally read the first Satriani Crystal Planet Issue. I think it will look great in a Crystal Clear CBCS encasement.

As a fan of Satch I am shocked I wasnt aware of this…
Post 670 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
@Davethebrave - you can probably still get issue one and issue two should ship soon.

link to info
Post 671 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Post 672 IP   flag post

mm
Post 673 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scifinator
@Davethebrave - you can probably still get issue one and issue two should ship soon.

link to info

Thanks! I was considering getting an autographed guitar and seeing if he would sign the book too.

Then I remembered I have a Petrucci autographed guitar (EB Majesty for any fellow guitarists) and played it a lot… and rubbed the signature completely off.
Post 674 IP   flag post
Secret Moderator MatterEaterLad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 675 IP   flag post
August 10 and I am still working through the July ‘83 issues! I guess that’s not too surprising given the ever increasing volume of new comics during that period. When I started back in January I had a little over 50 Jan dated issues. For July that number is closer to 80! Even this deep into the stack there are still some phenomenal reads!

This was an amazing issue of Alien Worlds! Possibly the best issue of the entire run. Three great stories with great artwork. Highly recommended!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Southern Knights is a title that I really liked back in the 80s. The strength of the book was mainly in its characters. The artwork in this issue is somewhat subpar. I really liked the work of the original artist, Butch Guice, but he was quickly snatched up by Marvel, leading to a merry go round of Knights artists, some good, some not so much.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Speaking of Butch Guice, by this time he was the regular artist on Marvel’s Micronauts series. These are some of the best issues of the entire run and should not be overlooked.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This month’s issue of Spectacular Spider-Man puts the spotlight on J Jonah Jameson in a fun and offbeat tale. One of the fun things about going back and re reading these old books is being reminded of things you had long forgotten about. Earlier this month I came across a double cover. This issue, I found, has a Mark Jewelers center insert which is coveted by some collectors.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

Speaking of interesting uncommon features, this issue of Moon Knight has an extremely rare defect: it was bound with an extra set of staples. In my experience that is even more rare than a double cover.

In addition to the double staples, this issue features another great story by Doug Moench. I really enjoyed his Moon Knight work. The backup story in this issue is also quite good.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This issue of Jon Sable further fleshes out Sable’s world and continues to expand the supporting cast while offering a decent adventure story to boot.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was a really fun issue featuring the return of Ambush Bug! Keith Giffen’s clear homage to Joe Shuster on his Superman art is also a great touch.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Sabre, Don McGregor’s Hendrix of the future type character, is an interesting book filled with interesting characters in an interesting setting. However, I think it suffers from the artwork of Billy Graham, which is just not to my tastes.
⭐️⭐️⭐️

To me, this was an off issue of a usually great book. Perez’s art still shines, but the main story is subpar and does little to advance the ongoing storyline.
⭐️⭐️⭐️
Post 676 IP   flag post
Amazing Spider-Man #2 Annual (2021) and Thor Annual #1 (2021) - The MARVEL INFINITE Destinies Storyline.
Post 677 IP   flag post

mm
Post 678 IP   flag post
Always fun to re-read...

mm
Post 679 IP   flag post
One of the few FICTION HOUSE COMICS that I have and one I truly
forgot I had. With stories about the WEREWOLF HUNTER and FIREHAIR
origin I'm glad I re-discovered it.

Note: It appears that this issue has a little value.

mm
Post 680 IP   flag post
598086 999 30