Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Had to read it...

Post 576 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Yeah I'm looking thru a lot, getting side tracked as I decide how to group them.
Modern, copper,bronze,silver and gold or by tittle.

Sold down to 350 books 7 years ago including slabs and I've bought since, think this is half my raws, still sorting.
Post 577 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
Yeah I'm looking thru a lot, getting side tracked as I decide how to group them.

Sold down to 350 books 7 years ago including slabs and I've bought since, think this is half my raws, still sorting.

You don't use Dewey Decimal? Google it.
Post 578 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbayMafia
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross

You don't use Dewey Decimal? Google it.

Nah. I'll go by ages and genres with each age since it's crime, funny animal, horror, romance then superhero.

And sperate sets for may 72 collection and marvel picture frames.

I'll do it that way as I don't use comic boxes just sliding drawers in my condo. 👍
Post 579 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@southerncross That’s quite an assortment!👍 You are obviously a highly cultured individual. And if you’ve also read all of those comics then I am doubly impressed!
Post 580 IP   flag post

@michaelekrupp thanks. Yeah I've read them all. Just gave a small pile upstairs I've not read yet.
I was getting distracted and opening them up and reading again as I was sorting.
Post 581 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

Latest group I grabbed from the To Be Read box. Fun reads.
Post 582 IP   flag post
I saved this one for last among my April ‘83 issues so I could read both parts back to back. I never watched the movie but after reading these I am making sure I check it out!

Also worth noting: inker Vince Colletta is a guy that has been raked over the coals on this forum recently. Say what you will, he did a helluva job inking these issues!
Post 583 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

Both of these new books were good reads. Gary Frank's artwork in Geiger was really good.
Post 584 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys: National Anthem #6 (final issue).
Post 585 IP   flag post
Up for discussion today are a couple of firsts and a last. Last things first, the May 1983 issues brought the final issue of Team America. This series, about a competitive racing team, really didn’t make much of an impact back in the early ‘80s. I can only remember owning one issue of TA back then and I was not overly impressed with it. The thing is, after following the team’s adventures over the last several months, I find that I am really going to miss this book. Not that it was anything mind blowing in concept, characters or execution, but the stories were entertaining and a little bit different than the standard Marvel fare. I credit this mostly to writer Jim Shooter, who took what was perhaps an uninspired concept and made it entertaining. To me, Jim Shooter seems to be the Donald Trump of comics, beloved or despised depending on who you ask. All I know is that, as a writer of comics, Shooter has entertained me on numerous occasions, including this long forgotten series.

That same month, both Marvel and DC released new fantasy concepts. Marvel released Crystar, Crystal Warrior, which came with a toy line along with it (and as I recall, those action figures were suh-weet!). DC released Amethyst, Princess of Gemworld as a 12 issue maxi-series. Both seem somewhat similar (epic fantasy worlds, gems/ crystals and so forth) but one looks to be vastly superior to the other. I admit that back in ‘83, I passed on Amethyst. I probably regarded it as a “girl comic” and that was that. I did plunk down two bucks (a lot of money at the time) for the first issue of Crystar. It did not impress me enough to buy a second issue. Reading them both now, I find that I really like Amethyst! The concept is intriguing, the characters interesting and the world they exist in full of potential. Not only that but Ernie Colon turns in a magnificent job on the artwork! You can tell that the creators really loved this concept and gave it everything they had. Crystar, on the other hand is a solidly plotted, well written, well illustrated book that somehow just leaves me cold. I think the the difference boils down to this: Amethyst likely started as a spark, a seed of an idea that was watered and tended until it bloomed and grew into a beautiful flower. Crystar feels like it was created by a group of corporate bigwigs who sat down in a room knowing they wanted to produce an epic fantasy world and set out to reverse engineer everything from there. Everything they came up with is solid, professional and well executed. It just doesn’t have that spark. I think history bears this out as Crystar tanked after the toy line fizzled, while Amethyst continued for quite a while as an ongoing series after the 12 issue maxi-series ended. I definitely plan to stick with Crystar, hoping something good will grow out the concept, but I can’t wait to read the next issue of Amethyst!

Post 586 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp Forgot about TEAM AMERICA...had to dig them
out and look them over.

mm
Post 587 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
So far today, I have read HaHa #3 & #4 and Vietnam Horror #1 & #2. HaHa #3 was about a mime, so no one speaks through the entire comic. It's different, and I liked it. I think it is a story that will grow on me and I will reread a few times. HaHa #4 was meh. Number four has a more positive spin in the end than the first three. I like the more twisted and demented stories. Overall, I'm enjoying this series.

Vietnam Horror is an interesting series about American soldiers in Vietnam. The storyline and writing is solid. It is a page turner. The art is very good, but it's in black and white. I'm not a huge fan of black and white interior pages. I think a story like this really deserves to be in full color. If you like black and white and Vietnam War stories, you'll probably enjoy it. As for me, I've pre-ordered the first four issues, but I'm stopping there. I had high hopes for this series. They are building up to there being some kind of monsters, and I AM interested in seeing that, but black and white art (for a realistic story set in a jungle) is a deal killer for me. Which sucks, because the writing and art is actually top notch!! But I don't feel drawn in or invested in the story. I definitely feel like an observer. I think that if it had been illustrated in color, it would have drawn me in more.

Post 588 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
I finished this yesterday. I enjoyed probably half of it?

The art was great & the backstory for Eddie Brock was enlightening.

I found the plot with the “innocent” vagrants too silly & the dialogue left much to be desired.

Post 589 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
I credit this mostly to writer Jim Shooter, who took what was perhaps an uninspired concept and made it entertaining. To me, Jim Shooter seems to be the Donald Trump of comics, beloved or despised depending on who you ask. All I know is that, as a writer of comics, Shooter has entertained me on numerous occasions, including this long forgotten series.

Agree with you on this. I don't know if I would say that Jim Shooter is beloved by me, but I certainly think he is maligned too much for me. But I never worked for him, so...

I think on the overall scale of comicdom, he did more good than bad.
Post 590 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Just read the newest What If?

It’s called Spiders Shadow and it’s a 4 issue story going back to the 80s and the symbiote costume.
Post 591 IP   flag post
Read this one today. At the time it was a pretty big deal, with someone other than Tony Stark as Iron Man for the first time. It is a really good issue amidst a really good run for IM. It occurs to me that Iron Man was one of the most consistently excellent titles of the 1980s. Looking back, I can’t point to any period where the quality lagged. It may not have been as hyped as X-men or Teen Titans, but for consistency of excellence it is hard to beat.

To follow up on my post from last week, I bought this DVD on Amazon and just finished watching it. Anyone who’s never seen it should definitely check it out! It was interesting to have read the comic book adaptation first. It really gave me an appreciation for exactly how and where the writer tweaked or added things to make it work better as a comic book. Not sure which version I liked better. It’s a weird experience to watch a movie you’ve never seen yet you know exactly what’s coming. Both versions are highly recommended!

@Jesse_O It’s interesting that color vs B&W is such a big deal for you. If I had a choice I would probably choose color, but I also can appreciate black and white artwork. Having grown up during the B&W boom and owning scores of Showcase/ Essentials volumes and Conan Magazines, I am pretty used to B&W. I would even go as far as to say that there is some artwork that looks better in black and white. Being a regular reader of both definitely makes you take notice of a good (or bad) color job.
Post 592 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 593 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp black & white interior art doesn't bother me in magazines or comics from the 70's or before. But for modern day comics, I can't stand it for realistic comics or mags.

I kind of set myself up on this one. When I was a teen, I had a mentor, of sorts, that was a Vietnam vet. In fact, he was a tunnel rat, just like it is depicted in this comic. He didn't share a whole lot about his experiences, but I paid attention whenever he did. He eventually died from the effects of agent orange. I kind of got this series thinking that it might give me a slight taste of what he saw and did. I don't recall the preview mentioning that it was black and white. Regardless, I had it in my head that it was going to be in color.

But yeah, had I realized it was black and white, I probably wouldn't have ordered it. Back to my peeve though, it is just modern, realistic comics that I can't stand being in black and white. And by realistic, I mean in art and story. Modern superhero comics in black and white don't, usually, bother me. Conan is great in any format, at any time!!!
Post 594 IP   flag post
A few of my recent reads. I had written earlier in this thread about how freaking awesome the Kull the Conqueror series is. Apparently the sales were unspectacular, however, because after only two issues as a 48 page, $2 baxter book, Kull was retooled as a $1.25 mando paper book, still 48 pages, no ads, direct sales only, and still freaking awesome! This issue, featuring an army of female were-tigers, is every bit the equal of the two baxter issues. These stories easily match or exceed the quality of the stories in Savage Sword and King Conan, with top notch art, this issue by big John Buscema. For pure entertainment value, these can’t be beat, and they are available in the $2-3 range on MCS. Cheap at twice the price!

I read the first issue of the 1983 Green Arrow limited series last night. The story by Mike W. Barr looks very promising! I like Trevor Von Eden’s art. He has a very unique style and this is some of his better work, due in part to the inking of Dick Giordano. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

The Anniversary issue of Detective Comics was very enjoyable. It marked the end of writer Gerry Conway’s tenure on the Bat-books. He would give way to writer Doug Moench, who turned out some of the most fondly remembered Batman stories of my youth. Nothing against Conway, who has written many stories that I have enjoyed over the years, including this issue, featuring just about every Bat-villain you can name. I also loved Don Newton’s art on Batman! He may be the most underrated Batman artist of all. It’s a shame that his work was cut short by his untimely death.

That’s about all the time I have for now. Of course there will be more to come in the future. Keep on reading comics and be sure to let me know about whatever comics you may read!🙂
Post 595 IP   flag post
I wish I had a title. ComicNinja0215 private msg quote post Address this user
That swamp thing cover is ridiculously amazing!
Post 596 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books, Michael!

I just read the new Robin series.

Not bad at all. Check it out, if you’re a bat fan.
Post 597 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Man, I don't think I've read a comic since March before I went on vacation. Just lots of stuff to do lately that feel I haven't had time. The Mrs is gone most of the weekend with her family. Might be able to get caught up on my pull list and other stuff. Been a while since I had some Mike time.
Post 598 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley Nothing better than a little Mike time!
Post 599 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I pulled this off my shelf and I had not read it in a long time. It is an easy read and enjoyable story.
Post 600 IP   flag post
Read this one today. I wasn’t expecting much, but I found it pleasantly surprising.

This 12 issue maxi-series was another series set up to promote a toy line, similar to Crystar, Crystal Warrior, which debuted the same month. I think the push for all these toy related series was directly linked to the massive success of G. I. Joe. At that point in time, G. I. Joe toys were flying off the shelves and the comic books were the surprise smash hit of 1982. I was crazy about G. I. Joe then. In fact, that month’s issue, #11, was the first issue of my first subscription to the title. In retrospect, it makes sense that other toy companies would see the money being made from these action figures and approach Marvel to cross promote their product with a comic book. If you remember my musings on Crystar a few weeks back, I found it less than impressive. I liked US1 quite a bit better. Back when it was on the stands, US1 was a hard pass for me. A comic book about a truck driver?!? Not a chance I was going to plunk down my limited coin for that! After actually reading the book, I find that I kinda liked it. The characters are engaging and the premise interesting. A young trucker seeks answers about his brother’s death behind the wheel of a big rig in an accident caused by a mysterious character known only as the highwayman. There are, perhaps, a few elements that are overly comic book-y. The main character suffered a head injury in the crash that killed his brother, resulting in an implant in his head that inadvertently allows him to pick up CB radio wavelengths in his ears. The souped up rig he drives is perhaps more at home in a James Bond movie. But the overall setup is interesting and I like the characters well enough that I am interested in seeing what happens next. I think the strength of the characters is the biggest reason why I liked this so much better than Crystar. In Crystar, the characters were one dimensional and uninteresting. In US1, I found myself caring about what happens to the characters that have been introduced thus far and looking forward to the next installment.
Post 601 IP   flag post
I took a diversion from my 1983 reading last night and spent some time with my Harvey Comics bound volumes. I never get tired of classic characters like Sad Sack, Casper, Little Audrey, Melvin and Tiny. It’s a shame that these comics are so vastly under appreciated by readers and collectors. They are really quite entertaining! Obviously I will read just about any comic book you put in front of me, but these stories and characters will always have a special place in my heart. Every time I read from my bound file sets I am in awe of the beauty and magnificence of these rare and exquisite hand crafted artifacts. There is nothing quite like the feeling of holding publishing history right in your hands.

Post 602 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Rorschach #7 (of 12).
Post 603 IP   flag post
Finished with the May, 1983 issues. Here’s a preview of what’s on my plate in the June issues. So many memories in this stack... I just can’t decide where to start!

What would YOU read first?
Post 604 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp That Batman 360 cover always sticks out to me. Why not start there?
Post 605 IP   flag post
601226 999 30