Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user

George Perez drew this sketch of Marionette for me for $5 at a comic convention in Corpus Christi, Tx in 1979.
Post 526 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Fads89 That is a great piece.
Post 527 IP   flag post
Collector Redmisty4me private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Today’s reading has served to highlight how much a book can improve when just one member of a creative team changes. In the case of Micronauts, Butch Guice’s art served to inject life into a title that had been stagnant for a very long time. Those issues in the 50s stand as the best of the entire run, due in no small part to Guice’s incredible art! And I’m not forgetting those early Michael Golden classics when I say this.

In the case of the Flash, both writer and artist remained the same, but it was the addition of editor Ernie Colon that seemed to give the title a more cohesive direction. It started with these issues featuring the threat of the Eradicator which served as a run up to the “trial of the Flash” arc that held me spellbound for so long back in the ‘80s.

Ernie!

You know, he never gave himself credit for being as brilliant on the literary end of the biz as he was on the visual end - amazing talent, and very deferential.
Post 528 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
The Dreaming - Waking Hours #8 (DC - Sandman Universe) - Wilson / Rodriguez
Post 529 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I actually read this last night. I liked the story, but not quite as much as the first issue. The first issue was written from the point of view of the main protagonist. In the second story, the story of the main protagonist is told through the eyes of her daughter. Even though the daughter obviously has issues also, they are not the main focus of the story. And I typically don't care much for that style of writing. I find I like reading the inner monolog of a character. Anyways, it IS a good story, just not a great one imo.

I am getting new eyeglasses tomorrow and look forward to reading more comics without getting headaches!!! I expect my reading overall will increase dramatically now!!!

Post 530 IP   flag post

The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah but if you solve your headaches, doesn't that diminish your access to pain pills?

I'm just kidding...
Post 531 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O

I read the first two issues of Ha Ha, also.

I think like you do. The first was pretty strong, but the second didn’t seem as strong.

If it’s going to be an anthology, I might end up dropping it.

That and clowns aren’t my things, I guess.

Definitely worth the read, though.
Post 532 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
I guess this series of HA HA COMICS is a little different...
still a very fun read from the days of "funny animals".

mm
Post 533 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Today’s reading has served to highlight how much a book can improve when just one member of a creative team changes. In the case of Micronauts, Butch Guice’s art served to inject life into a title that had been stagnant for a very long time. Those issues in the 50s stand as the best of the entire run, due in no small part to Guice’s incredible art! And I’m not forgetting those early Michael Golden classics when I say this.

In the case of the Flash, both writer and artist remained the same, but it was the addition of editor Ernie Colon that seemed to give the title a more cohesive direction. It started with these issues featuring the threat of the Eradicator which served as a run up to the “trial of the Flash” arc that held me spellbound for so long back in the ‘80s.

Thanks for posting that.

I loved that era of Micronauts. I know the lack of Baron Karza bothered some people, but I always felt it freed them.

I might need to pick up some of those for reading now.
Post 534 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
@Redmisty4me Ernie Colon is definitely an underrated talent. As an artist he was incredibly diverse, able to handle assignments from Richie Rich to Conan and everything in between. Not too long ago, when I was reading my Eclipse Airboy run, I noticed he did some great work toward the end of that title. I was a little disappointed that when they canceled that book they laid some of the blame on Ernie, basically saying that they were unable to find a regular artist and they had thought Colon was the answer, but his inability to turn in his pages on time was part of the problem. Seems like that was an unnecessary shot at a comics legend to me!

Speaking of comics legends, I read this today for the first time: the 1983 Superman Special, both written and drawn by Gil Kane. Little known fact about Kane: he was one of the taller comic book artists. I remember when he came to the Motor City Con, probably back in the 90s, he didn’t really look that tall sitting behind his table, but I happened to see him in the lobby at one point as he and Murphy Anderson and (I assume) their wives were heading out for lunch. Now, I stand about 6’ 5”, and, standing next to Kane, I was surprised that he was almost as tall as me, probably about 6’ 4”, certainly not less than 6’ 3”. As for this comic, I really enjoyed it. 43 pages of great Gil Kane art and a decent story by Kane to boot!

Post 535 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Love when I have a extra day off from work...extra morning of reading.

This is what I read this weekend.

Wolverine was ok...I like Mavrick
King in Black Captain America was meh
Savage avengers, Thor and Rorschach was enjoyable.

Wish they come back with some Punisher comics..come on Disney, enough already.
Post 536 IP   flag post
I just read "Two Moons". If you watched the YouTube show, with the New York Warriors, that Steve B. was on this last week, you would have heard one guy comment that he bought a copy based on the recommendations of some of the others who had read it. I had pre-ordered my copy 2 months ago or so. The main character is an Indigenous man that was raised by settlers. He is serving in the Union Army during the Civil War. The secondary character is a nurse named Shaw. She speaks with an accent, so I'm thinking Irish. She immigrated to America. Two Moons sees visions around him. In the back is a two page letter from the writer, John Arcudi. In it, he says he is trying to tell an ethnically and historically accurate story. I definitely enjoyed the first issue!!

Edit: I just saw that in this month's previews, Two Moons #1 is getting a second printing.
Post 537 IP   flag post
I just read Marvel Voices, Legacy #1. I wasn't going to post about it, but I LOVED it!!! If you are a fan of one shot anthologies, possibly non-canon, done by various writers and artists, but sharing one theme (celebrating Black history month), you should read this comic!! Most of the stories are very good!! There are 7 stories total, but only 6 on the table of contents. The extra story at the end is possibly my favorite one. It is pretty clear the seventh story is an add-on. It comes after the afterward in the book!!!

Post 538 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
I read this again. Such a great story.

Post 539 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

I reread this one today. This is one of my favorite covers.
Post 540 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Post 541 IP   flag post
While going through a box of TEEN TITANS I realized that
I had never read this one...all from PASSAIC BOOK CENTER.

mm
Post 542 IP   flag post
@martymann I remember owning the DC digest in which one of the stories from that issue was reprinted. It just had the that one new short story and a bunch of old reprints, but I read that thing to death as a kid! I haven’t seen another copy since. DC digests from that period seem to be uncommon at best. Time to add that to the want list; thanks for reminding me about that one!

As for my current reading, I just finished this one: Kull the Conqueror (2nd series)#2. Man, what an awesome comic! I still have maybe 15 comics to go in my March 1983 stack, but this one is the front runner for best comic of the month... and that’s saying something because there were some really kick ass books that month! A thick, meaty baxter book written by Doug Moench with amazing John Bolton artwork. If anyone out there is a fan of the sword and sorcery genre, this is a must read!

Post 543 IP   flag post
Thought it was a good time to take a look at this one again.

mm
Post 544 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

Post 545 IP   flag post
Revisited these two classics. Both were much loved by me when they came out and are still probably in my personal top 100 comics. Not only did I read them many times over in 1983, they are both conics that I like to pull out and re-read every decade or so. These books represent everything that makes superhero comics great.

Post 546 IP   flag post
Forgot how interesting this issue is...

mm
Post 547 IP   flag post
In an interesting bit of synchronicity these were atop my reading list for today. For me, this was the period where the Batman books really began to heat up. I loved it when they interconnected Batman and Detective, beginning each story in the former and concluding it in the latter, reminiscent of the Batman TV series.

Post 548 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Edit: wrong thread
Post 549 IP   flag post
Always a treat to re-read this one.

mm
Post 550 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user

The latest run from my "To be Read" box that I just finished reading. Great art in every issue.
Post 551 IP   flag post
While hunting through boxes of books from old garage sales
looking for a #80 to share in the Comic Book Day Of The Year
Calendar thread, I ran across this that could have been used
in this weeks Cover Contest "Monkey Business"..

mm
Post 552 IP   flag post
@martymann definitely would have got a vote from me! Very cool cover and one I haven’t seen before.
Post 553 IP   flag post
Before moving on to April 1983 I want to take a last look at some of the highlights from the March cover dated issues. This was the point where the direct market really began to expand. Three different publishers debuted new lines of color comics that month!

Warp #1 was the first First comic. I remember being so high on First back in ‘83. I really thought they were going to be the next big thing... and they were for a couple of years.

Bill Black’s Fun Comics converted from a B&W magazine to become the first in Americomics’ new line of color comics. This was indeed a fun comic, although the artwork is slightly subpar. It’s something that, if one of your buddies produced it you would think it was awesome. Measuring it against the other comics on the stands at the time, however, it seems to lag behind a little bit in overall quality.

Archie/ Red Circle launched their lineup of superheroes, reviving the company’s characters from the golden and silver ages. I remember buying Mighty Crusaders #1 off the stands and being very excited about the potential of these characters. Unfortunately the execution did not measure up to the potential and Red Circle/ Archie Adventure disappeared from the stands within a few years.

A few other notable first issues from that month included:

Journey #1. This series about life along the Michigan frontier in the early 19th century is one of my all time favorite comics! If you have never read it, you are truly missing out.

DNAgents from Eclipse is another favorite of mine that had a pretty good run in the ‘80s and is worthwhile reading.

Man, did I love the New Mutants! This book would even go on to become the first comic to bump X-men from its position as my favorite comic within a few months. Re-reading it now it doesn’t move me quite as much, probably because I am no longer the same age as the protagonists.

Last but not least is Elric #1 from Pacific Comics. I loved the Elric books by Moorcock and these comics were a faithful and well executed adaptation of the source material. It’s a shame that Pacific didn’t last longer than it did. They were pioneers in the direct market and produced a lot of worthwhile material. The good news is that you can still read all of these comics, most of them for less than the price of a current comic.
Post 554 IP   flag post
Quote:
Archie/ Red Circle launched their lineup of superheroes, reviving the company’s characters from the golden and silver ages. I remember buying Mighty Crusaders #1 off the stands and being very excited about the potential of these characters. Unfortunately the execution did not measure up to the potential and Red Circle/ Archie Adventure disappeared from the stands within a few years.

Yesterday, I ran across this in the April previews and thought of your comment!!!

Another old favorite is in there also!!

Post 555 IP   flag post
601347 999 30