Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
@HeinzDad
I got the “Secret surprise” and regular. I really want the Artgerm though.
was that the spidey costume one? I was going to say she’d trade ya but you have the one I have and that ones rare. What did those come out to then? 1:25?

Ya that one. Im not sure on the ratio. I couldn’t find any specific info on it. The only definite is “limited print”
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
From last night and this morning. I got these on a blind pull sale on facebook.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Inspired by conversation on another thread, I have been spending the day revisiting comics in my collection with an August 1983 cover date.

This was an entertaining issue guest starring Cloak and Dagger and the Punisher. It makes me remember how exciting it was when these characters would appear, before they all went on to become overexposed by Marvel.

I had nearly forgotten just how great the early issues of G.I. Joe really are! These are still great reads! The first two dozen or so issues stand up to just about anything that was put out in the 80s. The writing suffered a little bit later on, as the series became enormously successful and Larry Hama was forced to add in all kinds of crazy stuff to promote the newest action figures and vehicles. Still, if you missed G.I. Joe back in the ‘80s, I highly recommend checking these out.

Just one month prior to these issues, DC launched a revised version of Luthor and Braniac in the 45th anniversary issue of Action Comics. For me, these remakes seemed somewhat lacking at the time, and my opinion is little changed after re-reading this comic nearly 37 years later.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm at work, so no comics for me.
In anticipation of an outbreak, our Corp. Office (in Canada) decided to increase our production to 100% and build up our stock before we (in southern Oregon) start getting sick ourselves.
If we have any issues, we just call our management at home.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp

Totally agree on GI Joe.

I want to say it was pretty solid until about issue 30.

It seemed like things went off the rails when Zantac came on
Post 30 IP   flag post

@Jabberwookie Yep, that is spot on! I kept reading into the 40s, but it was really in the 30s that my interest started to wane. Those early issues sure were great, though. Very underrated.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy
I'm at work, so no comics for me.
In anticipation of an outbreak, our Corp. Office (in Canada) decided to increase our production to 100% and build up our stock before we (in southern Oregon) start getting sick ourselves.
If we have any issues, we just call our management at home.

Oh boy do you have issues, thousands of them!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
XForce 7, 8 & 9 today. Pretty good.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Read these today. I am trying to get through my pull list books.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user

Read this today for the first time.
Good story and beautiful artwork.
I'll have to hunt a nicer copy in the future 👍
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Finally got these two to almost finish DeadPool 1st series run. So now was a great time to read this DP vs Punisher storyline ^_~ HavaTaco

Post 36 IP   flag post
I’ve been going back through the original Astro City run.

I’d forgotten how good it was.

The Confessor story arc is almost perfection.

Definitely check it out!
Post 37 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user

Post 38 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

Definitely the most memorable story arc in a series that was full of great stories.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie

Definitely the most memorable story arc in a series that was full of great stories.

I’d forgotten the other arcs were pretty solid, too.

It’s been nice to read back through.

Busiek was a good writer and at the top of his game then.

I always feel bad for busting Kurts chops in a letter to the Avengers.
Post 40 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Hellblazer 197-201, lady death apocalypse 0-3.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user

Rain All Day Here - so feet up, tunes on and......
Daken - Good story and great art. Avengers - Great twisted story and art. The First X-Men - Ok Story with scratchy art work. I prefer Wolverine being a leader not a Wimperine
Post 42 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
I was perusing those old magazine-sized Marvel indexes by G&T Enterprises (from the 70's), particularly 7A ... I like looking at the pictures. Anyway, I noticed that it lists TTA #101 as the 1st Serpent Crown, but CGC lists Sub-mariner #9 as the 1st Serpent Crown (I can't find an example of a CBCS label). I realize it barely registers on the Importance Scale, but it kinda jumped out at me (don't ask me why).
Post 43 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I was putting some more of my ungraded books into Mylites 2 and Fullbacks, so I re-read my DD #4. In it DD wore his cool old yellow costume and it's also the first Purple Man. Here's some things that stood out. DD kept his street clothes/suit in a roll around his neck at the beginning, then decided that wasn't a good place when a mob almost ripped it off his body. Women were not treated as equals with men in comics at this time, Karen Page is the docile secretary who does whatever the men tell her to do, daydreams about her crush on Matt, and literally follows him around like a puppy dog. DD's billy club could be folded in half and used as a boomerang. He also concealed a tape recorder (a mini reel-to-reel type!) and plastic sheeting in it. He used the opaque plastic sheeting to cover the Purple Man so people would not see him and obey him. Even though the Purple Man's head (and most of his body) was covered by the plastic, no one worried that he might suffocate. All in all, a pretty amusing read.

Post 44 IP   flag post
I have been reading the early issues of Pep Comics lately. Definitely an interesting piece of comic book history! The contents, like most golden age books, are somewhat uneven. Some really good stuff and some not as good. It is absolutely amazing what you got for a dime back in those days! Early issues of Pep contained nine ongoing features, plus one page gag strips and a two page text story. In reading these stories it also strikes me just how much urgency there was to get these magazines to the stands. It seems like in 1940 there was a definite rush to get the ideas into print before someone else did, as the earliest stories often contained just the germ of a concept, which was refined and altered as the series went along.

Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Most recent comic books read: Robin 80th Anniversary 100 Page Giant (DC Comics); Spider-Man NOIR (2020 Series)
Post 46 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Legion of Super-Heroes 297: Opens with Cosmic Boy using his powers to crash a Prison Shuttle that is taking off. Inside are 3 criminals who Fire-bombed his neighborhood with a nuclear weapon, killing his mother and critically wounding other friends and family. Cosmic Boy is knocked unconcious by a teammate before he can kill. He hunts down the criminals a second time and, with no-one to stop him, decides that he cannot kill the criminals or he would be no better than them.
I never really understand that illogical line of thinking but hey, that's why people love the Punisher.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Read Giant X-Men #1 (Jean Grey & Emma Frost) last night. No dialogue until the last page.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool_Fool
Finally got these two to almost finish DeadPool 1st series run. So now was a great time to read this DP vs Punisher storyline ^_~ HavaTaco

I think these were the only Deadpool issues I ever bought off the racks back in the day. Such an entertaining two issue story.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Picked these up in a quarter box at the last con I attended. The story was alright, although it jumped around a lot and was a little hard to follow in spots. The artwork was inconsistent as well. Still, for a fifty cent investment, not a bad read.

Post 50 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
I was perusing those old magazine-sized Marvel indexes by G&T Enterprises (from the 70's), particularly 7A ... I like looking at the pictures. Anyway, I noticed that it lists TTA #101 as the 1st Serpent Crown, but CGC lists Sub-mariner #9 as the 1st Serpent Crown (I can't find an example of a CBCS label). I realize it barely registers on the Importance Scale, but it kinda jumped out at me (don't ask me why).

This morning I was looking thru Part 9B (Daredevil) of these indexes. I noticed this entry for issue #13...

"Intro: Vibranium (this is the first appearance of this strange metal in the Marvel Universe - not Fantastic Four #53, as incorrectly noted in Part 4 of this index; however, this is a different grade of Vibranium from the pure substance seen (and first named) in the latter story)"

Neither CGC, nor CBCS, lists FF53 as the 1st appearance of Vibranium, but many Ebay sellers that are selling raw FF53 do.
Post 51 IP   flag post
I am spending the day with my long box of Harvey square bound giants. For my nickel, square bound Harveys are probably the coolest comics ever (with the possible exception of the bound volumes)! Yes, the stories are often simplistic, and there is a sameness to them. Still, the Harvey Comics world is always a fun place to visit, full of characters such as Casper, Stumbo and Richie Rich, whose first inclination toward everyone they meet is: “how can I help?”. Even characters of a more selfish orientation such as Hot Stuff and Spooky are always willing to set aside their own interests in the name of contributing to the greater good. Harvey comics are a much needed reminder that in spite of the TP hoarders and hand sanitizer profiteers, in spite of the fear mongers and political pundits who try to divide us, most folks are good and decent and will go out of their way to help you if they can. It’s always good to remember that.

Post 52 IP   flag post
Captain America 16 and 17 (2019/2020) - Ta-Nehisi Coates. (Fell a bit behind on this series.)
Post 53 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this today and read it. After seeing the cover in the contest thread, I had to get it. It is DEFINITELY a mature book because of the violent scenes and nudity. But if you are ok with that and like horror comics, you might want to find a copy. It is full color with 4 different stories. Each story is more twisted than the previous one!! There are 10 comics in this series and I may just have to hunt them all down now.

Post 54 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O Twisted Tales is a great series! Along with it’s companion title, Alien Worlds, it was fashioned as a tribute to the EC comics of the ‘50s. After Pacific folded, Eclipse continued the concept, although they changed the title. The Eclipse version may have been called Tales of Terror?
Post 55 IP   flag post
600811 999 30