Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
I just finished Volume 1 of The Black Monday Murders. It's not for everyone, but some people will absolutely love it they way I did. Most of the setup is quickly revealed, I don't think I spoil anything with a little description, but you can stop here if you have plans to read it already. The title probably doesn't do it justice, it's not so much about a murder mystery. It dives deeply into the idea that a few uber-wealthy families (think Rothschilds) run all the financial institutions and therefor run the world. These families are the only ones who are truly awake, the rest of us are unwitting slaves to their causes. They control our information and therefore our perceptions of reality.
These families accumulate wealth purely for the purpose of accumulating and maintaining control over the world. They come by their power through a relationship with God Mammon, the god of greed and covetousness. These families owe Mammon a debt and he occasionally collects his due. We learn in the first few pages that stock market crashes are part of Mammon collecting his due, and they coincide with human sacrifice of members of the privileged families.

Being in the finance world, this sounds about right...
Post 376 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
If I had a dollar for every Hellblazer I finished with a shitty smirk on my face I could buy a #1 CBCS 9.8.
Post 377 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
X-men 148 and 149.
Post 378 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
X-men 148 and 149.

First series, 1982ish? That's basically my introduction to comic book collecting right there. My first "pull list" comic book would have been X-men 148 or 149. The ones where Kitty Pride has some goofy Goodwill looking costume with roller skates. At the time I was 12 and didn't realize there was anything unusual about that costume.
Post 379 IP   flag post
Collector bbking private msg quote post Address this user
Batman 181!
First time ever!!

It was great!!

Im looking to buy an raw 183, so I will own the first and second appearance of Poison Ivy...

Going to buy an Giant size x-men #1 raw first, upcoming Friday, so that will be the next comic I will read!!

Post 380 IP   flag post

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Been a while since I’ve checked in on this thread. This is what I have been reading over the last week or two:

Back in the early ‘80s I was a big fan of Captain Carrot and his Amazing Zoo Crew. I still have the complete original series in my collection. This trade collects some of the issues from that classic series along with a 3 issue mini-series from the early 2000s. The mini-series felt a little rushed, mainly because they tried to cram so much into the three issues. The pacing and flow would have been much smoother if the story had been spread out over 5 or 6 issues. It was still very enjoyable, reminiscent of the best of the original series. I did like the fact that this mini offered a definite ending to the saga of Captain Carrot and Crew. Want to know the final fate of the Zoo Crew? You’ll have to pick this one up and check it out for yourself!

I am currently deep into the first Sgt. Rock Showcase volume. I can’t recommend these stories enough! They start with the first Sgt. Rock prototype story and continue through the early appearances. It is pretty obvious that DC realized they had something with this series early on, as the feature quickly began to dominate the pages of Our Army at War. I am really enjoying watching this series develop from the germ of an idea into a well crafted series full of interesting characters. If you’ve never read these stories I highly recommend picking up this volume and checking them out. You will not be disappointed!

Post 381 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking for a comic (#322) for the Comic Book Day of the Year Calendar thread, but the cover was so great that I read had to read this story line.

a

Post 382 IP   flag post
Collector Maritimer private msg quote post Address this user
Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the man of Tomorrow", a great tribute to the Silver/Bronze Age Superman. Superman #423 and Action Comics #583. I consider this story along with Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything" the two greatest Superman stories ever written. I have the latter currently being graded by CBCS, hoping to get it back in the next few weeks.
Post 383 IP   flag post
I finally found the Legion TBP that I've been trying to remember. The TPB is called Teenage Revolution by Mark Waid. It's every bit as good as I remember from reading it about 10 years ago. Definitely my favorite LSH storyline that I've read. Mark Waid does a nice job of not condescending or under-estimating the readers intelligence. His take on the Legion members is clever and interesting. Colossal Boy is from a race of giants and his super-power is actually the ability to shrink to normal human size. He can't understand why no one will agree to call him Micro-Lad. Rather than being the fantasy date that some might expect, Triplicate girl uses her power to date 3 guys at the same time. Arrogant and perpetually annoyed Braniac congratulates a teammate by saying "no one from my world has complimented an Earthling since you discovered fire, but...well done". Their flight rings also (controversially) cloak them from the DNA tracking that the Science Police has on all citizens. The best part is that it does not do a retelling of the somewhat bland Legion origin story.
Post 384 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritimer
Alan Moore's "Whatever Happened to the man of Tomorrow", a great tribute to the Silver/Bronze Age Superman. Superman #423 and Action Comics #583. I consider this story along with Moore's "For the Man Who Has Everything" the two greatest Superman stories ever written.

@Maritimer 100% agree. Both are at least top 10 for sure.
Post 385 IP   flag post
Just read Taskmaster 1.

It’s pretty good. I wish they weren’t making him an anti-hero, but it is nice to see him get the spotlight.

The art is pretty good, too!

And, when Strange Academy gets collected, I recommend it.

The direction it seems to be going looks pretty cool.
Post 386 IP   flag post
Collector Fads89 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 387 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
If I'm about to have two weeks off, why not get caught up?

Post 388 IP   flag post

Post 389 IP   flag post
Collector Paint_Monk private msg quote post Address this user

It started out strong, then fizzled out rapidly. SPOILER ALERT - it would have been better without the sci-fi element and if they would have stuck with the dinosaurs!
Post 390 IP   flag post
Sometimes things turn tits upside down, and that’s the truth ennit bruv? When I finished this one I didn’t have a smirk on me gob.

I’m on track to finally finish this as well. It’s rough I know but book 3 is out of print and pretty expensive. I got book 3 and 4 knowing they were only readers.
Post 391 IP   flag post

Post 392 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I started reading this 160 page graphic novel. I'm about three chapters in. It's pretty interesting if you are into late 60's and 70's rock. I've still got over 100 pages to go, approximately, but it's FILLED with cool trivia about the band and other musicians at the time.

Post 393 IP   flag post
Just finished 1 and 2 of We Only Find Them When They are Dead.

Interesting read.

If you’re into sci-fi or a fan of Al Ewing, check it out!
Post 394 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
Just started reading this giant of a trade. So far, really digging it.

Post 395 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
DC Dark Nights METAL = Speedmetal One Shot
Post 396 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Still engrossed in the Sgt. Rock Showcase volumes this week, but I have been splitting time between those and some early ‘80s House of Mystery books that I picked up recently. The main feature in these issues is “I...Vampire!”, a serial about a remorseful vampire who battles against his own kind, including his true love, an evil vampire in charge of a powerful organization bent on global vampiric domination. There are some interesting elements to this series including time travel, which allows for some diverse settings and situations. Overall it’s a worthwhile read. Some of the issues are better than others, but all are entertaining. This series was published in the early 1980s, before the sympathetic vampire story became done to death in the ‘90s and 2000s. I can’t help wondering just how much these comics influenced the deluge of similar stories and characters that followed. The “I...Vampire” feature only took up about half of the pages in House of Mystery. The rest of the magazine was filled with random mystery stories of the kind typically found in this type of magazine. Nothing spectacular, but occasionally there’s a really good one mixed in.

Post 397 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
House of Mystery books that I picked up recently. The main feature in these issues is “I...Vampire!”, a serial about a remorseful vampire who battles against his own kind, including his true love, an evil vampire in charge of a powerful organization bent on global vampiric domination

I like giving and getting this kind of insight from this thread. The details make me much more likely to read comics that I never had considered reading before.
Post 398 IP   flag post

Post 399 IP   flag post
We Live #1 and Doctor Doom #9
Post 400 IP   flag post
Galaxies has been better than the main Transformers series. It allows for the focus to be on one or a few characters doing different thinga than the usual Autobot vs Decepticon fluff. #24 of the main series just set up another mini called Escape. Go figure, so that's been added to the pull list.

Post 401 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
did anyone read this yet? Seems like there was some hype around it. Just curious if I should try issue #1

Post 402 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

Undiscovered Country is a fun book. I enjoyed the 1st tpb. and of course Something is Killing the Children. Good stuff!
Post 403 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by the420bandito
did anyone read this yet? Seems like there was some hype around it. Just curious if I should try issue #1

READ
Post 404 IP   flag post
I finished the Mark Waid LSH TPB Teenage Revolution as well as part 2 "Death of a Dream". Mark Waids writing style has a cleverness, wit and polish to it that seems to be a perfect fit for LSH. Stories about the entire Legion can become a little disjointed as the large group often separates for various missions. Waid holds it together really well. I've moved on to LSH TPB Legion Lost...it's definitely good, but in my opinion it's a big step down from the Waid work.
Post 405 IP   flag post
600457 999 30