CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Post 251 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

I missed out on a Bad Mother #1. My guy ordered to sell out and sure enough at 4 pm he was. Was good?
Post 252 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad I liked it. I have a feeling it is going to be like a suburban Commando type of series. Like it's set in the suburbs and will be like a Commando (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and Suburban Commando (Hulk Hogan). I can keep an eye out for it if you are still looking.
Post 253 IP   flag post
Quote:
@HeinzDad I liked it. I have a feeling it is going to be like a suburban Commando type of series. Like it's set in the suburbs and will be like a Commando (Arnold Schwarzenegger) and Suburban Commando (Hulk Hogan). I can keep an eye out for it if you are still looking.
that would be cool. I haven’t really shopped them on the bay, no worries.
Post 254 IP   flag post
You can always find a messed up HellBlazer to read but this one stuck out with me much like volume 1, 141 did. The Crib. Enjoy Mates!
Post 255 IP   flag post

Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
My recent purchase from @esavaro included a reader copy of Adventure Comics #366 from 1968. The Fatal Five basically hijack the entire universe by taking over Metropolis and the Central Weapons Control. The LSH have to fight them off until the forces from other planets can arrive to regain control. I realized that if written today it would be a pretty Epic story arc well fleshed out over a 6 issue story Arc. Being written in 1968 it's one of many stories reduced from potentially epic to just kind of silly and completely devoid of nuance, development and drama. Putting a story of this magnitude into a single issue reduced it to a formulaic bare-bones shell of what it would have been if written today. Made me wonder how many other old under-developed stories with this kind of potential are out there.
Post 256 IP   flag post
Been working on this over the last couple of days. Should finish today or tomorrow.

Post 257 IP   flag post
Collector Stopher999 private msg quote post Address this user
Punisher before bed...Cap after waking up.

Post 258 IP   flag post
The Fifth Golden Girl sborock private msg quote post Address this user
This is fun!

Post 259 IP   flag post
Done-zo. Not sure what to read next.

Post 260 IP   flag post
Quote:
Done-zo. Not sure what to read next.

you should read some IDW TMNT, I can pass on 93-108 un read, lol.
Post 261 IP   flag post
@HeinzDad so it's that good? 😁

My pull list stuff arrived this weekend so that should hold me over then I'll start working on this stack of Hustlers- er uh I mean Avengers West Coast issues... For the articles.
Post 262 IP   flag post
I was just thinking of what I read and figure you don’t.
Post 263 IP   flag post
I honestly think I've only read two Turtles comics and they were at the barber shop when I was a kid. They were in color so they weren't the valuable ones from what I know.
Post 264 IP   flag post
It’s cool, I’ve never read a transformers. I sent a friend the pic @Jesse_O posted about life or auto insurance n right away he said neither they aliens...
Post 265 IP   flag post
Collector Firehawk2069 private msg quote post Address this user

Figured why not? It was a preview for more issues to come. I felt the writing was written for a younger audience, aside from the few profanities. Still cool to see some history of the “King” of comics in comic form.
Post 266 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Currently revisiting Eclipse’s “Airboy” series for the first time since 1986. This is a comic that I was pretty excited about back in the day. I have always enjoyed Tim Truman’s work, and the revival of classic golden age characters along with the 50 cent, bi-weekly 16 page format created additional excitement, even if the format proved unsustainable and the book reverted to a regular monthly after a few months. I just finished the first story arc, which was quite good. Definitely planning to continue with it and recommend it to anyone interested.
Post 267 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Just read Three Jokers #1 - so far so good. I hope this stays a limited series rather than some 2yr long dragged out thing.....
Post 268 IP   flag post
Collector willieCPA4646 private msg quote post Address this user
Captain America #19 and #20. (MARVEL 2020 Coates Series).
Post 269 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Currently in the middle of Aldebaran

Art work is just great and the story too...I messed up and read 2nd series first so now I am reading the first and then will jump to the 3rd and 4th!!
No harm though....was able to read the 2nd series with no knowledge of the first with no problems

Might have to see about getting the original french books - all written and drawn by 'LEO'
Been 25 yrs since I had to converse in french but this would be a good primer to get back into it no?

Post 270 IP   flag post
Collector CarsonG private msg quote post Address this user

Spent most my budget this week on this. I also bought topload holders (for my secret wars run) and thor 1-5 (couldnt find 3 they sold out) but I had already read those. So far invincible has been great, everyone told me it picked up on issue 11 and oh boy does it.
Post 271 IP   flag post
Collector Firehawk2069 private msg quote post Address this user

Finally finished this story.

This was an ad in the last two issues, yikes!
Post 272 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
During my move I spent a couple nights in a house with no TV. Fortunately I came across a TPB of Astro City "Through Open Doors". Just great writing. The writing in both Astro City and Planetary is so good that I could re-read them every 3-4 years.
Post 273 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp
Currently revisiting Eclipse’s “Airboy” series for the first time since 1986. This is a comic that I was pretty excited about back in the day. I have always enjoyed Tim Truman’s work, and the revival of classic golden age characters along with the 50 cent, bi-weekly 16 page format created additional excitement, even if the format proved unsustainable and the book reverted to a regular monthly after a few months. I just finished the first story arc, which was quite good. Definitely planning to continue with it and recommend it to anyone interested.

Im a huge Tim Truman Fan and the eighties Airboy series from Eclipse has always been a favorite of mine as well. The Chuck Dixon stories are action packed as usual, and the flow of the Gitty Tim Truman Art flows effortlessly making you want to turn the page. That Dave Stevens Valkyrie Cover on issue #5 is just another absolute bonus of the series! I may have to revisit the series myself and I highly recommend the Eclipse Airboy Series to any Comic book enthusiast.
Post 274 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished up Our Army at War #210

Sgt Rock and Easy must infiltrate Enemy Lines to locate and destroy a secret German U-Boat Dock that has been wrecking havoc on the allied supply lines. Along the way Rock gets a helping hand from a secret message writer, Kilroy, that takes joy in mocking the good Sgt along the way.

Always a pleasure reading a Sgt Rock Story....

Post 275 IP   flag post
Well said, John. I have been continuing with Airboy and so far I am up to this point:

The last couple days I have taken a little diversion and have been reading Starlin’s Warlock saga. When originally published in the ‘70s these comics received little fanfare, but later went on to become a very important storyline in the MCU. I like these “special edition” reprints from the early 80s. They are affordable, printed on quality paper and feature awesome wraparound covers by Starlin. Definitely a great way to experience this sweeping cosmic storyline. I am a huge fan of Starlin’s Dreadstar, and it seems that this series was almost a warmup for Starlin’s later masterwork, creatively speaking. Many of the themes from Warlock were expanded upon in Dreadstar. As for Warlock itself, it is definitely a worthwhile read, long on cosmic action and awesome artwork. Some of the issues are a little text heavy, which did not detract from my enjoyment of the comics but may explain why it wasn’t tremendously successful the first time around. Also it is somewhat derivative, borrowing from Moorcock’s Elric books in particular. Still a very worthwhile read if you have not yet read these stories, I recommend checking out these very affordable deluxe format reprints. And when you’re done, read Dreadstar!

Post 276 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp

Oh, heck yes!

I loved those special editions. Those got me into Warlock big time.

Dreadstar- I loved that series. The first 10 issues were amazing.

I’m reading the Champions trade.

That series should have lasted longer, but oh well.
Post 277 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firehawk2069

Finally finished this story.

This was an ad in the last two issues, yikes!

Did you read the book the ad is about?

I don’t want to make light of a delicate issue, but let’s just say that maybe comic writers aren’t the best option for trying to explain such a sensitive subject.

It’s worth a read for the view into that time for sure.
Post 278 IP   flag post
@Jabberwookie I thought Champions was a book with great promise that never quite realized its full potential. The later issues were definitely better than the early issues. I have never been a huge fan of Tony Isabella as a writer. Some of his dialogue is just bad. I remember in one of the early issues of Champions he had Ghost Rider saying to Hercules “hop on back of my bike, big fella”. If that doesn’t sound dumb to you, try saying it in Ghost Rider’s demonic voice.😑 His work is full of stuff like that.
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector agamoto private msg quote post Address this user
Bought a box of coverless comics for $20 from some estate sale on the east coast. They arrived yesterday. inside was a coverless Superman #12 from 1941, so I sat there and read the whole damn thing. First comic I've read from cover to cover in probably 20 years.
Post 280 IP   flag post
601226 999 30