Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What comic books have you read today?11515

Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Since I am feeling a little bit burned out on talking about current events, I thought maybe it would be a nice change of pace to talk about comic books that we have read lately. I know there are probably many folks on the forum for whom the actual reading of comics is not the main area of interest but I am hoping there are enough active comic book readers out there who would be interested in this topic. I enjoy buying, talking, collecting and looking at comics as much as the next guy, but for me reading of comics is also a key element of the hobby. So, in that spirit, here is the comic I read this morning before work:

Dick Tracy 102, August 1956, Harvey Comics

This was a fast moving and very enjoyable story which started with a dam bursting after days of torrential rains and local residents in the flood path being placed in danger. The police, including detective Tracy, are dispatched to save the townspeople. Meanwhile, two young girls are caught up in the flood tide and carried away, clinging to their inflatable kiddie pool. They are able to ride the wave until their makeshift life raft catches upon a tree branch and is damaged. They are rescued by a young lady who was on her roof to avoid the water. As it turns out, their savior is completely blind. The trio manages to eventually make it to dry land and take shelter in a cave while Tracy is searching the area for the missing girls. Unfortunately, it looks as though the cave may be being used as a hide out for one of Dick Tracy’s foes. To be continued...

Unfortunately I have no idea what happens next because I don’t have the next issue! Although I have more than 80% of all Harvey Comics published with a 1956 cover date, I do not have Dick Tracy #103. Arghhhh!😫

So what comic books did you read today? I really am interested.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector bizy private msg quote post Address this user
Reading is why I got into comics many decades ago now. Thanks for sharing. I have been reading old EC reprints.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I’m not an ant. I’m a rootin tootin Hornet! Zombie_Head private msg quote post Address this user

Started reading not done yet.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user

Last week I finished William Gibson's Alien 3, which I enjoyed for the most part. I think it would've made a great film, a bit more expected than what we actually received. I think there were a few issues in bringing it over to a comic in that there are a few different locales but the art doesn't make it immediately apparent where you are so it's easy to get lost. Also, it starts off pretty slow with a lot of world-builfing around the corporate and political situation but once the aliens show up the chases and deaths that would've been expanded to great setpieces in the film all happen and end too quickly in the adaptation

All that said, it did make me hungry for more Aliens so I started the old Dark Horse comic series for another take on the post-Aliens continuation of the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelekrupp

Is that a custom bind? I've had a bunch made of more recent books but it's been a while since the bindery I used to use has changed a lot and gotten a bit too expensive for anything other than a basic bind
Post 4 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite It was bound by the publisher for office use around the time of original publication. I collect Harvey Comics bound office volumes and certain Dell bound volumes as well.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I read all the books that I put up for sale (see my Cabin Fever thread). That way I get to relive the memories and stories, and I can check the books for any pulled staples, missing pages, tears or writing to interior pages, and missing pages.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp That’s cool!

I love plotting out my own collections. I made these for some cousins a few years ago

This one’s pretty self-explanatory; collecting Wolverine’s Japan-focused stories, though I had to leave out Kitty Pryde and Wolverine to get it done on time.

This one I really like because the Kingpin mini-series tells the story of a young Wilson Fisk. The Kingpin arc from Punisher Max tells about how Fisk, a soldier for the mob, cons his way i to becoming the Kingpin. Then the next couple of stories are some run-ins with Spider-Man in Fisk’s prime and finally ending with Fisk’s defeat in Daredevil: Born Again so it makes a nice arc out of unrelated stories
Post 7 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Awesome! I would love to have some of my comics custom bound at some point. It’s definitely something that is on my bucket list.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@esaravo A lot of great reading in that stack! Swamp Thing Annual #2 is a classic, as is New Teen Titans Annual #1. Bob Layton’s Hercules mini-series was among his best work. Also love Groo the Wanderer, and those FF issues in the 70s and 80s are underrated Lee-Kirby masterpieces!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Well @michaelekrupp, I had not read any comic books today but now I'm inspired to. I've pulled out a Keith Giffen run on Legion of Super-Heroes that I last read around 1988 when I was graduating high school. I'm starting with #287 Legion vs. Kharlak and will go from there.

The inside cover is an ad for Swamp Thing movie starring Adrienne Barbeau. The back cover is an ad for a Free Lone Ranger Western Town (with qualifying purchase).
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Cool_Fool private msg quote post Address this user
Dusted off some new (to me) graphic novels. Made it an X-men weekend.

Then I found this to be a great read - wild twist for Spidey & Wolverine being thrown around different timelines with a total surprise villain behind it all - a Double HavaTaco Time Fun ^_~

And with New York State on PAUSE, there will be more time to read and do some home projects. Stay safe friends. Use that anti-bacterial after handling cash, doors handles, etc. Peace/Love/Joy to you and yours. ^_~
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Lenovations private msg quote post Address this user
Check out these comics. Right now for free.

https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/11516/page/1/get-free-comics---while-stuck-at-home/#1

Post 12 IP   flag post
@EbaySeller Great choice! That period from when Giffen came on board through around the first dozen issues of the 1984 deluxe format series was THE BEST period for the Legion! You have inspired me to dig some of these out and re-read them myself!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp I really enjoyed the 2004 Mark Waid version of Legion. But it may have had something to do with the surroundings. I read it years ago while riding on a train for 30 hours with nothing to do but drink coffee and Bloody Mary's and read the Legion TPB. Just dawned on me that I'm in that spot again...nothing to do but drink coffee all day, read Legion and contemplate the various garnishes that could go on a Bloody Mary at night.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS Boomhauer HeinzDad private msg quote post Address this user
Hellblazer 189-93. Not a very uplifting read but right now real IS better....
Post 15 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
Read the new Spider-Woman today. I really enjoyed it. Great art and to me it was kind of a Deadpooly/ Spiderman kind of dialog; you know; sassy, but with an underlying tone of sincerity. Cant wait for the next issue.

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Thor Herald of Galactus 1-4. Sounds like the series will be delayed, but it has a classic feel so far.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Both were great reads guys, I’m gonna miss my weekly moderns. For the record I’ve never read a Thor book until the present run.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HulkSmash
Read the new Spider-Woman today. I really enjoyed it. Great art and to me it was kind of a Deadpooly/ Spiderman kind of dialog; you know; sassy, but with an underlying tone of sincerity. Cant wait for the next issue.

i brought this cover home and the Art Germ. I told my daughter she could pick and she took the Art Germ, I wanted it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Not trying to be an ass since February 12, 2020. HulkSmash private msg quote post Address this user
@HeinzDad
I got the “Secret surprise” and regular. I really want the Artgerm though.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Good thread idea!

I just read the grant morrison doom patrol run, strange academy 1,Batman earth 1.

Read the new Doctor Doom and I’m not overly impressed, but it was 1 issue.

Comixology has some good free collections.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
@HeinzDad
was that the spidey costume one? I was going to say she’d trade ya but you have the one I have and that ones rare. What did those come out to then? 1:25?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Good thread idea!

I just read the grant morrison doom patrol run, strange academy 1,Batman earth 1.

Read the new Doctor Doom and I’m not overly impressed, but it was 1 issue.

Comixology has some good free collections.
i think they have 60 days free right now
Post 23 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Vampires - a collection of short stories by Dark Horse - hard cover. And a Horror Hound magazine on Bigfoot.

Post 24 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

Started with this. I have more to read tomorrow.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeinzDad
Quote:
@HeinzDad
was that the spidey costume one? I was going to say she’d trade ya but you have the one I have and that ones rare. What did those come out to then? 1:25?

Ya that one. Im not sure on the ratio. I couldn’t find any specific info on it. The only definite is “limited print”
Post 26 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
From last night and this morning. I got these on a blind pull sale on facebook.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Inspired by conversation on another thread, I have been spending the day revisiting comics in my collection with an August 1983 cover date.

This was an entertaining issue guest starring Cloak and Dagger and the Punisher. It makes me remember how exciting it was when these characters would appear, before they all went on to become overexposed by Marvel.

I had nearly forgotten just how great the early issues of G.I. Joe really are! These are still great reads! The first two dozen or so issues stand up to just about anything that was put out in the 80s. The writing suffered a little bit later on, as the series became enormously successful and Larry Hama was forced to add in all kinds of crazy stuff to promote the newest action figures and vehicles. Still, if you missed G.I. Joe back in the ‘80s, I highly recommend checking these out.

Just one month prior to these issues, DC launched a revised version of Luthor and Braniac in the 45th anniversary issue of Action Comics. For me, these remakes seemed somewhat lacking at the time, and my opinion is little changed after re-reading this comic nearly 37 years later.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Thank you sir. May I have another? Siggy private msg quote post Address this user
I'm at work, so no comics for me.
In anticipation of an outbreak, our Corp. Office (in Canada) decided to increase our production to 100% and build up our stock before we (in southern Oregon) start getting sick ourselves.
If we have any issues, we just call our management at home.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
@michaelekrupp

Totally agree on GI Joe.

I want to say it was pretty solid until about issue 30.

It seemed like things went off the rails when Zantac came on
Post 30 IP   flag post
601300 999 30