Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

Comic Book Market11497

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@moodswing I don't know if the modern or non-key comic market will experience a down turn, I'm just saying of all the subcategories of comics I imagine those will be hurt over others.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
E-bay sales that I have followed have been consistent sales wise from earlier this year or last fall, however there was a downturn last fall with many major keys from the Silver and Bronze age. The books that spiked high the past few years are taking a serious pull back, however they are still at the price values of 1-2 years ago, they just lost there temporary gains.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
@comic_book_man

Waiting to nab that xmen 1 for 1k
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Being a comic book forum, I invite those who are interested, to engage in a comic book discussion. For others, I realize that it is becoming increasingly difficult to focus on anything other than the health and safety of our family, friends and greater community and wish you all well during this extremely difficult time.

Many questions have been raised about the impact of Covid-19 on the comic book market, both new release sales and the “back-issue” trade.

It would be interesting to hear from forum members about their thoughts and experiences with the recent comic book market in order to understand how they think the industry will be forever changed due to the recent and continually unfolding impacts of Covid-19.

Hey @CaptainCanuck and all - nice of you to send the well wishes. Agreed it feels odd to discuss, but hey, many of us are stuck inside, how can we not be curious how comics are doing, compared to the stock market, etc.? I have been watching this close and am surprised that so far, I keep seeing comics doing very, very well. Maybe there is a lag, but for now, sales are good. I even added a single-issue stock ticker to Nostomania so members can track how recent sales of their fave books are trending (presuming of course I've captured sales for those books). I want to be careful about not blatantly plugging the site - last time @moodswing got pretty upset, so if anybody wants to see examples I'm happy to simply post them here. I can throw a few up quick I guess. I suppose we'd consider ASM #300 a bellwether of sorts. While in general it is down a bit, you'll still get people scrapping and fighting over a single auction, maybe better eye appeal copy, not sure:

But books like Marvel Spotlight #5, pretty much gangbusters:

Post 29 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
I was looking at recent Ebay sales for Hulk 181. Maybe the price was down a bit from previous but I was really surprised how many copies had been purchased in the last week. Don't know if this is a result of more copies being made available or just more buyers than usual.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector CatCovers private msg quote post Address this user
Like others have reported, I've received more offers from sellers than usual the last week or so.

For now, the comic market seems steady to slightly above average. I expect a good portion of that is people sitting around the house bored and buying just because they want to do something and have managed to find a deal. I know that was the case with me earlier this week.

Going forward will depend entirely on what happens with the response to this virus. If people are essentially on lockdown for weeks on end, a lot of folks will be hurting for income - contractors, commissioned salespeople, bartenders, waiters and so on. If that happens, I expect plenty of books to hit the market, mostly Copper and Modern keys.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Have I told you about the time I dropped off 3,000 comics at SDCC? Scifinator private msg quote post Address this user
I definitely had a spike up in sales in March until i put my ebay store in vacation mode with a 10 business day handling time. The part of my collection that i am selling off is not at my house and i self sequestered due to some underlying compromised respiratory system. And no, i am not now nor ever have been a smoker.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller
I was looking at recent Ebay sales for Hulk 181. Maybe the price was down a bit from previous but I was really surprised how many copies had been purchased in the last week. Don't know if this is a result of more copies being made available or just more buyers than usual.

Noticed the same @EbaySeller - steady flow, down a bit overall. Most likely a bit of both your thoughts. I also note the average grade of recent sales for a given item - VF 8.0 right now for Incredible Hulk 181.

Post 33 IP   flag post
601214 33 8
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.