Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Silver Age

Ed's X-Men Run11483

Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Romita Jr's X-Men artwork has always been very hit or miss with me. 176 and 179, to me, are very good covers. He had some others. I kinda felt the same way about his Daredevil work. He has a distinct style, so you definitely know it's him.
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector Jabberwookie private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo

I’m sucker for covers that affect the logo.

X-Men was the book to read in the 80s.
Post 302 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
@esaravo We are going to miss Eds' Comic scans when he goes back to work!

I am working right now, Ray. Just finished grading Zoology labs on an online squid dissection and now I am trying to come up with a plan for the three classes I teach tomorrow. I only meet with each class every other day, but it still takes twice the amount of time it used to take, mostly just trying to come up with ideas for labs and homework that will work through distance learning. My AM and PM commutes are much shorter though, so I am saving on buying gas. But because I teach five different classes, I am constantly prepping and correcting every day.

Years ago, I taught a Biology class for six weeks while the regular teacher was on maternity leave. I have a BS degree with a triple major in Biology, Botany, and Zoology. One of my favorite projects I levied on the kids was a DNA helix that they had to color, label, cut out, and fold in order to show the structure in 3-D. It drove them batty, but when done correctly, it was awesome.
Post 303 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson - Any chance you have a project like that for earthworms? We started Annelids today in Zoology, so a virtual dissection this Thursday. Environmental Science is discussing Hazardous Waste disposal; Oceanography just finished ocean zones and we are now learning about marine invertebrates and vertebrates; and both Honors and College Prep Biology are learning about Cell Division and the Cell Cycle. Want to be a guest speaker in a Google Meet or Zoom room?
Post 304 IP   flag post
Quote:
Want to be a guest speaker in a Google Meet or Zoom room?

Oh, hell no. That was a lifetime ago, lol.
Post 305 IP   flag post

Google that DNA project. It may have been called Origami DNA. It would go great with cell division if it veers into DNA, RNA, base pairs, or genetics. Both the honors kids and the special ed. classes enjoyed it.
Post 306 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DrWatson - would this be it?

Post 307 IP   flag post
That's pretty close. The one I used had the lines, but it was blank and they had to label it with the correct base pairs and color it.

Similar to this:

The honors kids had to draw their own beginning with a blank piece of paper and a ruler in order to create one from scratch. The other class received one with the lines and what not already on it and I helped them fill it out. They had to fold it on their own while I showed them how to do it.
Post 308 IP   flag post
I guess we're the only Biology fans.
Post 309 IP   flag post

Post 310 IP   flag post

Post 311 IP   flag post
Collector michaelekrupp private msg quote post Address this user
Impressive X-men collection, Ed. Just for kicks, here is a look at my X-men run:

😂😂😂Nowhere near as impressive as yours I’m afraid, but at least serviceable! To be fair, I do have all the actual comics from when I was an X-men reader, from the late 130s to around 215 or 220. I tried to jump back in around the time of Inferno, but the storyline had become so confusing that I had absolutely no idea what was going on and gave it up for good.
Post 312 IP   flag post
It started getting convoluted with the mandatory X crossover event every year. It was mildly broken up a bit with Acts of Vengeance, but Mutant Massacre, Fall of the Mutants, Inferno, X-tinction Agenda, X-Cutioner's Song, Fatal Attractions, Age of Apocalypse (which is awesome), Onslaught, something else that is probably dumb, Disney refuses to acknowledge cash cow franchises that they don't own the movie rights to, so on and so forth. The tie-in issues eventually overtook every other Marvel title.
Post 313 IP   flag post
@Studley_Dudley Yep, the Mutant Massacre storyline is right about where my interest started to wane. It must have been a huge success for Marvel, though, because as you pointed out it spawned a zillion X-crossover events in its wake.
Post 314 IP   flag post
For a synopsis of the events that take place in this comic by the one and only @michaelekrupp, please refer to Post 61 on the "Comic books and memories" thread.

Post 315 IP   flag post
Cool burning X-Men logo.

Post 316 IP   flag post
Thanks for the plug, Ed! 😊
Post 317 IP   flag post

Post 318 IP   flag post

Post 319 IP   flag post
Pictures? We don't need no stinking pictures. brysb private msg quote post Address this user
Nice High Grade X-Men run!
Post 320 IP   flag post
Ah, we just got into Storm losing her powers, which lasted a couple of years if I remember right.

At the time, it was an amazing arc. Storm went “punk,” lost her powers and fell in love.

Rereading it decades later, it doesn’t seem nearly as coherent as I remember it.
Post 321 IP   flag post

Post 322 IP   flag post

Post 323 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabberwookie
Ah, we just got into Storm losing her powers, which lasted a couple of years if I remember right.

At the time, it was an amazing arc. Storm went “punk,” lost her powers and fell in love.

Rereading it decades later, it doesn’t seem nearly as coherent as I remember it.

Punk Storm was awesome!!! I loved the look!!!
Post 324 IP   flag post
I am happy to show you two more fantastic looking upgrades for my X-Men run that arrived in today's mail thanks to @Cgroc09. I am keeping my lower grade #51 (I had Steranko sign it a few years ago), but I have two ungraded copies of #66 (both in the Fine range) that I would part with (PM me if you are interested).

Post 325 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

Punk Storm was awesome!!! I loved the look!!!

I did , too!

But, from Ed's run of covers here, I'm realizing that many of those 80s costumes were a little...well, ugly.

Still loving the trip down memory lane.

Thanks for sharing, Ed!
Post 326 IP   flag post
Quote:

I hated punk Storm and the whole lost powers story line.
Post 327 IP   flag post
Note the face mask.

Post 328 IP   flag post

Post 329 IP   flag post
Quote:
Note the face mask.

Don't wanna catch that 'rona!
Post 330 IP   flag post
600847 405 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?