Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

What book did you tape?1147

Collector Huffmaster private msg quote post Address this user
As collectors, we all know you must be careful when removing a comic from a bag and board that has been taped closed. You must either fold the tape back and away from the book when removing it or remove the tape altogether before freeing the book. It's also acceptable to cut the tape. It's just tape. Less than pennies.

In the extreme circumstance, you can cut the actual bag and remove the book unharmed. The bag is normally less than a quarter.

We're collectors and appreciate the books we so cherish. Why would we ever risk damage to a nice comic book?

But.

As a collector, we're all so cool and smart. We all know better. Done it a million times. Smooth hands.....watch this, kids.

Tape on your Silver Age cover. It never ends well.

At the moment, I'm so super pissed at myself. I know better...as previously stated. But I'm an idiot. I just finished ruining a Justice League Vol. 1 #43 in mid to lower grade that I've owned for about an hour due to fat fingers. I know it's not a "big" book. It's not a lot of money involved. It doesn't matter. I've done it before, supposed to have learned and I just did it again. I'm an idiot.

So help me to feel better about myself. Am I all alone? Am I the only one? Have pity on a poor idiot.

What book did you tape?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
See the tape pull in the upper right corner?? Yeah, that was me.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Tape is pain. I especially hate self-sticking bags. I wanna punch the guy in the face that invented them. If the tape on those doesn't ruin the comic you're taking out or putting in the bag, it's sure to ruin one laying nearby.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Gwenlocke_Variant private msg quote post Address this user
your not alone my friend. did a few actually. so i started using double sided tape from now on.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Mine was batman 227. The tape pull was about 2 inches wide and was right below the dogs.
I was scanning the book for a pgm thread on cgc when it happened. Sold it for 20 immediately afterward. I didn't pay 20 for it
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector DertyComix private msg quote post Address this user

I accedentally peeled off some color off this book just recently. I was doing to many things at one time and did not notice that the bags flap that has that sticky adhesive was caught on the book. Well it took some color off by the wheel chair. It not noticeable due to it being white. Ill have to take a close up pic of it to give you a better view on my stupidity. I was so mad.... i could not even get back on my XBox to paly Madden and had to cry myself to sleep.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
X-men #9 about 2 hours after I bought it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Joshua373 private msg quote post Address this user
At 10 years old I purposely put masking tape over the staples on my GI Joe 21 "Silent Issue." Made sense to me at the time. I had looked at it so much I was afraid the cover would fall off.

Now all these years later is still have that taped up comic.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user
I ripped a daredevil #19 cover in half because of a piece of tape. I still haven't forgiven myself for that incident.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Helric1 private msg quote post Address this user
The woman's right arm. That was me It'll never happen again that's for sure

Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Helric1 That really sucks. I did it to a nice Silver age Flash book. I can't remember the number but at the time, say about 20 years ago it was worth about $40. I was so upset that I put it in a dollar box at a show I was doing and got rid of it. This way I did not have to remind myself of it. I have never did it again.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I don't know if any of this has helped @Huffmaster, but I sure feel better knowing it happens to other people!! I'm positive there are others who will not admit to doing this, but I thank those of you who did!!!!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I got a tape pull on a midgrade Flash 121 many moons ago. It taught me to remove the tape from the flap before taking the comic out of the bag. Hasn't happened since
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
I have done it many times. Now, once I read a book and it goes into a bag and is taped, I don't plan on taking it out again for a long time.

I am also currently going thru a huge selection of old comics and replacing the bags that were all taped. I am just cutting the bag to remove the comic safely.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
#NEVER #REALTALK
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I've done it 3 times many years ago.
I don't remember which books they were, all I could do was just move forward.
Live and learn, always remove the tape completely or cut it.
A few times I've used a small patch cut from an old bag to stick to the tape to protect the comic, that works pretty well.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffmaster
What book did you tape?

ASM #26
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Huffmaster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I don't know if any of this has helped @Huffmaster, but I sure feel better knowing it happens to other people!! I'm positive there are others who will not admit to doing this, but I thank those of you who did!!!!!

A big fat +1 on that! I feel much better.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
I have an X-men #55 somewhere around here that I screwed up as soon as I got it home to re-bag.
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It has only happened to me once, in over 50 years of off and on collecting.

I was at the Mid-Ohio Con in the late 80's. I was looking at an X-Men #66 from a dealers box. I wanted to check out the interior and opened the bag and pulled the comic out. He had his bagged taped and since I had done it many times, I thought no problem for me cause I'm good.

The tape on the bag caught the cover of the book. It was an $11.00 book, which was a lot of money to me in the 80', for a comic book. The seller witnessed what had happened and gave me a "look". I told him, my fault and I will but it.

I have never forgotten that lesson, and always totally remove tape from the top of the bag anytime I am going to take a book out.

Here is the book. The tape pull is upper right, by the dollar sign and horseshoe.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
It wasn't tape, but I recently dropped an otherwise pristine copy of my favorite Adam Hughes variant. The glossy cover just slipped through my fingers as I removed it from the bag. Resulted in spine stress on the back cover. The irony was I was prepping the book to be signed and sent in for grading. Plans changed pretty quick.

I am hoping the damage will press out, but still seething over that one.
Post 21 IP   flag post
597912 21 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?