Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I just had a thought, this is probably going to mean no WWE events for the near future. So no Wrestlemania in April. Plus, the start up wrestling group, All Elite Wrestling (AEW), could really be hurt by this.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I love AEW and a couple of their main wrestlers are supposed to be in Ontario CA for a Con next month.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
So, if CA has shutdown gatherings of 250 or more are places like Disneyland still open?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@sportshort Nothing is for sure yet. But I just had a thought. The WWE could probably have the matches with no or little attendance and put the shows on the WWE Network and survive a short term hiatus. But I think AEW is screwed. If they have to shut down because of this, it could mean the end for them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
The WWE could probably have the matches with no or little attendance and put the shows on the WWE Network and survive a short term hiatus.

I think the over-the-top fans with their posters and angry gestures are kind of an important part of the Professional Wrestling spectacle.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkonk
But seriously, in the other thread people are saying that comics go up when the markets go down. So shouldn't it be a good time to sell now? Or at least not worse than any other time?

It depends on personal goals and whether the owner is a collector or a flipper. Buying and selling of comics is often impacted by predictable criteria totally unrelated to the rise and fall of global stocks. That said, in times of financial crisis collectibles seem to do very well overall.

Quote:
I just had a thought, this is probably going to mean no WWE events for the near future. So no Wrestlemania in April. Plus, the start up wrestling group, All Elite Wrestling (AEW), could really be hurt by this.

If fans are discouraged from attending sporting events I’d have to assume they’re also being discouraged from congregating at staged performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
So, if CA has shutdown gatherings of 250 or more are places like Disneyland still open?

To varying degrees, local (city and state) governments are discouraging close quarter group activities such as concerts, sporting events, church services, lines at travel terminals, crowded bars, restaurants, etc. High risk folks especially ...such as the elderly and immune suppressed individuals... are advised to be stay indoors and avoid personal contact as much as possible.

The biggest risk may be younger asymptomatic folks carrying the infection to older folks who are at greatest risk of Covid-19 exposure turning into a life threatening illness. From what information we have, this virus doesn’t behave like the flu. It’s more infectious and with no vaccine available everyone is at similar risk of infection. Note: It's telling that some middle-school aged kids have taken to calling this coronavirus "boomer remover."

Most responsible adults are self-regulating, minimizing their exposure through common sense means such as soap and water or use of alcohol based hand sanitizers. Frequent hand washing is becoming the norm.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

they are, one of my co-workers is on vacation and there with his family. Disney Rules Orange County!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
@sportshort Nothing is for sure yet. But I just had a thought. The WWE could probably have the matches with no or little attendance and put the shows on the WWE Network and survive a short term hiatus. But I think AEW is screwed. If they have to shut down because of this, it could mean the end for them.

I'm going to agree with you, they're too new to have deep pockets.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportshort
Quote:

they are, one of my co-workers is on vacation and there with his family. Disney Rules Orange County!

disneyland in hong kong has been closed for about 1 month now
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

oh here you go. you ought to start talking it seriously instead of all conspiracy theories
https://m.theepochtimes.com/disneyland-in-california-to-temporarily-close-over-coronavirus_3270172.html
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:

oh here you go. you ought to start talking it seriously instead of all conspiracy theories
https://m.theepochtimes.com/disneyland-in-california-to-temporarily-close-over-coronavirus_3270172.html

Dang,I was wrong again. My wife is right, I suck.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Guys (& gals?), If you’re going to have packages shipped to your house know that similar viruses tend to live a decent amount of time (days instead of hours) on cardboard. Hours to days on bare metal.

And given unknowns other than it’s really contagious, take care when handling cardboard mailers....clean the surfaces they are places on as well as wash your hands after handling the box.
Post 36 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Guys (& gals?), If you’re going to have packages shipped to your house know that similar viruses tend to live a decent amount of time (days instead of hours) on cardboard. A few hours on bare metal.

And given unknowns other than it’s really contagious, take care when handling cardboard mailers....clean the surfaces they are places on as well as wash your hands after handling the box.

Sound advice!!
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Guys (& gals?), If you’re going to have packages shipped to your house know that similar viruses tend to live a decent amount of time (days instead of hours) on cardboard. A hours to days on bare metal.

Sound advice!!

I updated my post as I heard this about a week ago...now it seems they have changed stainless steel and plastics to 3 days. Copper was 4 hours.

Here’s one article, but you’ll find plenty if you google it.

clickable text
Post 38 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

AEW will be alright. I don't think Turner will let it die after sinking tons of money into it. They don't want a repeat of WCW. The plus side for the AEW wrestlers is that their contracts aren't exclusive. For example, Kenny Omega and the Lucha Bros have still been working in AAA in Mexico. Another alternative would be to run small, studio programs similar to what the NWA and WCW did back in the 80s.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Medicago, says they have a vaccine for the coronavirus and will be able to distribute it by November if the FDA will fast-track the approval process.

Medicago says they use an innovative technique involving plants.

…“relatively new approach that has seen much advancement in the past decade… it inserts a genetic sequence into agrobacterium, a soil bacteria, which is taken up by plants — in this case, a close cousin to tobacco. The plant begins to produce the protein that can then be used as a vaccine. If the virus begins to mutate, as is expected for COVID-19, they can just update the production using new plants.”

I hope Medicago is successful and the FDA gets out of the way and allows them to get it out there. Medicago’ CEO says that his goal is to be in human studies by July.
Post 40 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Medicago, says they have a vaccine for the coronavirus and will be able to distribute it by November if the FDA will fast-track the approval process.

…“relatively new approach that has seen much advancement in the past decade… it inserts a genetic sequence into agrobacterium, a soil bacteria, which is taken up by plants — in this case, a close cousin to tobacco. The plant begins to produce the protein that can then be used as a vaccine. If the virus begins to mutate, as is expected for COVID-19, they can just update the production using new plants.”

I hope Medicago is successful and the FDA gets out of the way and allows them to get it out there. Medicago’ CEO says that his goal is to be in human studies by July.

Oh no!! a co-worker just quit smoking 4 months ago...guess she can't get this vaccine!
Post 41 IP   flag post
@KatKomics Medicago is based in Quebec-City. They were awarded over 20 million through the Accelerated Manufacture of Pharmaceuticals, or AMP, program. That's a DARPA program. They built their facility in NC back in 2010 and have been helping move vaccine development away from egg based vaccines.

AMP's vission is to create an extremely rapid, flexible and cost-effective manufacturing system capable of producing three million doses of GMP-quality vaccines or monoclonal antibodies (mAB) within 12 weeks.

Fingers crossed on this!
Post 42 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Any “fast track” approach should still require FDA human trials at a minimum. There are already snake oil “remedies” being recommended by both well intentioned folks and quick buck buccaneers on the market. The worst thing about periods of public confusion in a health scare crisis is that misleading information and false claims get hopes up too quickly.

I’m not blowing this research off by any means. In fact, federal funds and scientific support should immediately be provided for any research lab’s legit study to speed up testing and trials. The human trials need to be in place to insure there aren’t serious side effects, perhaps worse than the actual virus. This is one of those rare times when the public must trust and rely on the government’s support while demanding proactive involvement.

Quote:
@KatKomics Medicago is based in Quebec-City. They were awarded over 20 million through the Accelerated Manufacture of Pharmaceuticals, or AMP, program. That's a DARPA program. They built their facility in NC back in 2010 and have been helping move vaccine development away from egg based vaccines.

AMP's vission is to create an extremely rapid, flexible and cost-effective manufacturing system capable of producing three million doses of GMP-quality vaccines or monoclonal antibodies (mAB) within 12 weeks.

Fingers crossed on this!

This touches on my thoughts on this. The accelerated part is great. What we also need is data from human trials and FDA support. Unfortunately, we’re way behind the curve on this. If Medicago has something viable ...that is, something that appears to work in the Petri dish and some form of animal trials... the human testing phase can probably be ramped up given the emergency. But we’re still talking months, perhaps a year or more, not weeks.

I’m with you on the crossed fingers, but be sure to use lots of hand sanitizer in the interim just in case!
Post 43 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica

Medicago hopes to start human trials in July with the new vaccine.

Their VLP vaccine is under review with Canadian Heath after all the human trials they did in 2018. They have vaccine candidates for pandemic flu, rotavirus and norovirus are being tested across pre-clinical and Phase II clinical trials. So, I don't think they are a snake oil sales company.

I look to family members when it comes to medical advice. 2 are doctors. One is the head of their department at the hospital they work within. If they point at something like this and say it is promising I listen.
Post 44 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Rhode Island Update - We are officially in a State of Emergency and all public schools will be on “vacation” next week, and probably longer than that. I am a high school science teacher. We were told yesterday that all schools needed to have a remote learning plan in place by the beginning of next week. We also believed that we would have school next Monday and Tuesday to prepare ourselves and our students for this. Instead we were all informed of the mandatory school closures today about 10 minutes before the end of the school day. I left school today with about 60 pounds of textbooks and binders (I teach 5 different classes). I am sure that the majority of students did not bring home their books. No idea what happens next. Good thing I own two scanners.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

Post 46 IP   flag post
@esaravo wow Ed. I think I know what you will be doing all weekend. Take care and good luck with the classes.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Well the wife is on "teach from home" for the next 40 days and the kids are locked out of school until April 20th. My work will be slow. Looks like the stars have aligned to pack the family and dogs and take a trip up to Portland to visit the parents who are too old to travel. Hope my knucklehead teenager with suspect hygiene practices doesn't give them Corona Virus.
Post 48 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user

Post 49 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@esaravo wow Ed. I think I know what you will be doing all weekend. Take care and good luck with the classes.

Thanks, Jesse. I will be fine, it’s you I worry about!

Anyway, at 5:30 pm the Superintendent issued a statement saying that both teachers and students should treat next week as if it were our April vacation a few weeks early. Then, if necessary, teachers and students will receive instructions on going “virtual” the following week. So yes, I will go fishing tomorrow and do something comics-related on Sunday! (There was supposed to be a small toy and comic book show this Sunday at the Ramada Inn in Seekonk, Massachusetts with free parking and $2 admission. Not sure if it has been canceled yet.)

So stay as strong as you can, my friend. And if you need any reading material, just let me know.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Thanks Ed! I'm sitting good on reading material right now, but thanks for asking!!! To be honest, I feel better being here during this time than I probably would have felt in my old apartment. They aren't afraid to send a person to the hospital for testing here. And actually, the hospital and care facility are owned by the same health company.

And concerning the WWE, I am watching Smackdown right now and boy is it different. They are televising from their EMPTY training facility in Florida. No audience is there. It's weird.
Post 51 IP   flag post
This all got very real yesterday for our family. Yesterday a suspected case was seen by one of our family members and that patient was tested. The test results won't be back for 48+ hours from the time of the test. All precautions were taken, i.e., the patient was seen in a negative pressure room, and our family member and the nurses were in the full protective clothing that the CDC recommends they wear while treating a patient who has or is suspected or having the virus. That being said the hospital recommended that the members of the staff all stay in a different area of their homes away from family members and use a different bathroom until the test results are back. If it turns out to be a confirmed case then they will all be tested.

I should point out that the patient presented themselves to the ER unannounced. They exposed everyone in the ER to possible infection as no one knew that this person was just going to show up. We need to do a better job with "rules" about how to present yourself to a medical facility if you have symptoms. Call ahead and let them know. They will walk you through their protocols and get you seen so you aren't exposing others.

The hospital is on lock down and has been for about 3 days. No one gets in unless they are a patient, a staff member, or a medical surgical rep now. The staff isn't allowed to go out for lunch or order food in anymore. If you have a family member in the hospital you can no longer visit them. They are doing this to cut down on possible cross contamination.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
This all got very real yesterday for our family. Yesterday a suspected case was seen by one of our family members and that patient was tested. The test results won't be back for 48+ hours from the time of the test. All precautions were taken, i.e., the patient was seen in a negative pressure room, and our family member and the nurses were in the full protective clothing that the CDC recommends they wear while treating a patient who has or is suspected or having the virus. That being said the hospital recommended that the members of the staff all stay in a different area of their homes away from family members and use a different bathroom until the test results are back. If it turns out to be a confirmed case then they will all be tested.

Sh!t....i hope everything turns out fine and that you and your family members are ok....that goes for everyone reading this too by the way
Post 53 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster

I sure hope I don't get the common flu next winter. I could end up shutting down the entire world. Imagine that? I'll just hope I catch a cold, maybe it will "only" be the entire U.S.
Post 54 IP   flag post
This is why we can't count on others to do the right thing

A JetBlue passenger who flew from New York to Florida has tested positive for coronavirus

The passenger had taken the test. Then got on a plane to fly. It appears the passenger either knew before taking off they tested positive or sometime during the flight found out they had tested positive.

I hope that the airline and the airport bill the passenger for the sanitization of the plane and the airport that was reported.
Post 55 IP   flag post
601536 679 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.