Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It's best to just be quiet and do things yourself.

Meanwhile, I am the only one who leaves this house to get prescriptions, gas, and smoke. When I leave, I wear gloves and keep disinfecting wipes in my pockets, and I have started to wear a full face skull cap Russian military gas respirator mask with filtration system. When I come home, I immediately shower and change clothes. I take no chances. I know what I'm doing, but I don't know what my wife or MIL is doing to make precautions as needed. Everyone touches their face, even when you don't realize it. The respirator mask and gloves mitigate this tremendously when you are out in public.

It's also important that you are trained in how to properly install and remove such items, like gloves or masks. If you don't remove them correctly and wash up immediately after, it doesn't do you any good. You also must clean your masks immediately at home as well. Filters for masks must be replaced regularly.

Stay safe. It's a new world we live in now. (At least until a vaccine is created worldwide which could still be 6-18 months away)
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Biologist friend of mine just shared this, from 2007. https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660.full

" The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored."

it's almost like scientists...like...figure stuff out and stuff.

Bruce Wayne's fear of bats was legitimate. All these years I thought he had just grown up soft.
Post 302 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 I’d like to shake hands with both of you gentlemen for being so brave during the dire time. I’d pray that the virus would take me if I were to criticize my wife.
Post 303 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
There is supposed to be a cure from Covid with a very common medication (hydroxychloroquine). We will see.

Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

clickable text
Post 304 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
it's almost like scientists...like...figure stuff out and stuff.

Post 305 IP   flag post

Hey, Trump is talking about it now, maybe it is true!
Post 306 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I have started to wear a full face skull cap Russian military gas respirator mask with filtration system.

KMyke, consider taking a selfie and making it your avatar. Just a thought.

I know you have your reasons to go to this extreme and I won’t argue them. I do caution against those who choose to do this that are not currently seen as in the high risk categories to oneself or others. Doctors and first responders
need these masks and supplies 1,000,000 times more than the average Joe/Jane on the street (or sheltered at home). We need to keep doctors And responders safe and healthy otherwise this thing gets out of control and likely everyone is getting this.
Post 307 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Some Millennial‘a are referring to Covid-19 as “Boomer Remover”. Disgusting.
Post 308 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
There is supposed to be a cure from Covid with a very common medication (hydroxychloroquine). We will see.

Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

clickable text

Trials are going on and very favorable.
Post 309 IP   flag post
Quote:
First ANY PRESIDENT may have acted the exact same way. But there is considerable evidence that our ability to test for this virus and respond to it was slowed at the direct supervision of the President. https://twitter.com/nprfreshair/status/1238186469690429440; https://www.npr.org/2020/03/12/814881355/white-house-knew-coronavirus-would-be-a-major-threat-but-response-fell-short

This Wednesday, Trump finally used language that made it sound as if he is taking the threat seriously. He used the terms "hoax" and "hunch" on several occasions to describe the threat. Now I already know/understand the response to this is going to be something along the lines of the media out to get Trump. That's the default response for, what in any other administration, would be referred to as "covering the news". So I don't expect you to agree/understand. I'm simply saying there is evidence available indicating the administration knew enough to respond quicker and did not. Your friends who solely place this on Trump somehow are probably rabid anti-Trumpers and so relay the information with political intent. I think you'd be hard pressed to assign a "passing grade" on how it has been handled , even with the understanding that Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, G.H.W. Bush, Clinton, W. Bush, Obama could have all made the same mis-steps for all we know. This virus making it to the US and interrupting our economy and daily lives is certainly not Trump's fault.

edit: I have contacts at several medical schools. They were actively denied, by the CDC, the ability to manufacture and distribute tests for this virus as recently as last week (I want to say it was Tuesday, but may have been Wednesday) before finally being tagged in to the game. Places like MUSC in Charleston had capacity and capability, but were directly denied a role/place. The original outbreak in Seattle was diagnosed by researchers who went against what they were directly told by the government in order to identify that COVID-19 was here. They literally went rogue to address this issue.

Just like the head coach is held accountable for his/her team’s conduct, or a commanding officer is accountable for his/her crew’s conduct, the President of The United States accountable and therefor responsible for the decisions made at his/her level or beneath him/her he can influence. It’s part of the job. It’s why we, the people of the United States of America, hires him/her (whether you voted for him or not). Any leader who does not accept this is not a true leader.

I leave you with one of my all time favorite quotes, from a Mr. Hyman G. Rickover:

“Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else.“
Post 310 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Just like the head coach is held accountable for his/her team’s conduct, or a commanding officer is accountable for his/her crew’s conduct, the President of The United States accountable and therefor responsible for the decisions made at his/her level or beneath him/her he can influence. It’s part of the job. It’s why we, the people of the United States of America, hires him/her (whether you voted for him or not). Any leader who does not accept this is not a true leader.

I leave you with one of my all time favorite quotes, from a Mr. Hyman G. Rickover:

“Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else.“

I don't disagree, but saying it's all Trump's fault is different than just realizing the role a leader has in effectiveness of response. This is arguabley not what you want from the "Leader of the Free world"
clickable text
Post 311 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I have started to wear a full face skull cap Russian military gas respirator mask with filtration system.

KMyke, consider taking a selfie and making it your avatar. Just a thought.

I know you have your reasons to go to this extreme and I won’t argue them. I do caution against those who choose to do this that are not currently seen as in the high risk categories to oneself or others. Doctors and first responders
need these masks and supplies 1,000,000 times more than the average Joe/Jane on the street (or sheltered at home). We need to keep doctors And responders safe and healthy otherwise this thing gets out of control and likely everyone is getting this.

I’ve had my masks since 2012. I am not interrupting the supply using military masks. Myself and my household are in the high-risk category so I am taking these precautions as they are very necessary.
Post 312 IP   flag post
I would also like to point out that it would be very different if the president had called it the “Chinaman’s virus” opposed to the “China virus”.
Post 313 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Thor is an Asgardian
Superman is a Kryptonian
Nelson Mandela was a South African
Fidel Castro was a Cuban
Bono is Irish
Pope Francis is an Argentine
Justin Trudeau is Canadian
Enzo Ferrari was an Italian

Stating where something or someone is from isn’t racist. For those that seek to label me as a racist or a xenophobic please take into consideration that my son is Chinese. That’s right, my adopted Son is Chinese. I am not. We hit the lottery when he joined our family. Attempting to hide where he came from would be idiocy. We don’t run from his origins. We celebrate them.

To pivot, the CCP was calling the virus the “Wuhan virus” in both the Global Times and Xinhua as late as the final week of Jan 2020. They only seem intent on distancing themselves from it now as the world economy and lives have come to a halt. The are attempting to do what authoritarian governments always do. Shape the narrative to make them look the best. Our “wokeness culture” seems intent on helping them do that.

A recent study that seems to indicate that if the Chinese Government had used non-pharmaceutical interventions 1 week, 2 weeks, or 3 weeks then the cases could have been reduced by 66%, 86%, and 95%, respectively, together with significantly reducing the number of affected areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/11/research-finds-huge-impact-of-interventions-on-spread-of-covid-19

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.03.20029843v3

The Chinese Government wants to deflect from their response to the virus, how they treated Doctors who tried to warn people about the situation, and how they ignored offers of help in January from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.

Does that mean the entire event is laid at their feet? No, not at all. Rationally some of this was going to happen no matter what happened. Past pandemics have shown that viruses spread - just look to Mers(Middle East Respiratory Syndrome). Opps, I hope I haven’t again run afoul of the “woken culture” by typing Mers. That being said, the Chinese Government seems to have a desire to deflect all of it away. Some of the fault lies at their response.
Post 314 IP   flag post
This just in...

2019 Beckett-Vintage
March 17, 2020
Dear Beckett Customers,

As we all know, the world is a very different place then it was yesterday. General life has been changed for all of us and for the time being, there really isn't going to be a "normal" life for any of us for a while. That includes this hobby industry we are involved with. Cards, comics, and autographs are a way that many of us escape to from reality and for others this is a way we make our living. Regardless of how or why we collect, our industry is one of those being affected by COVID-19.

With that said, for the foreseeable future Beckett and CBCS will be changing the way we operate our businesses. These changes were made after careful consideration for the safety of our staff, our customers, and the world in general. We continue to hope these are temporary changes but for now we will be changing two aspects of our business.

- Beckett and CBCS has postponed/canceled all shows and events that were planned through April. We will reevaluate our planned events as we move forward but for the foreseeable future, we will not be traveling from our home office. Please be sure to check show schedules for the most updated information on each division.

- Beckett and CBCS will not be offering drop-off and pick-up services at our Dallas location, starting March 18. If you have items in house, we ask that you email/call us to set-up a plan to get items back to you. As of now, we will still be accepting, just mail-in submissions for all divisions.

In one of the most unusual and difficult times in our lives, our company is doing what we can to make it back to "normal." We hope our small changes will help in doing that. We appreciate your understanding and support. We ask now that you stay safe and take care of each other.

Sincerely,
Jeromy Murray
Vice President, Beckett & CBCS
Post 315 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 316 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

To pivot, the CCP was calling the virus the “Wuhan virus” in both the Global Times and Xinhua as late as the final week of Jan 2020.

Uh...yeah...because it was still being definitively identified. History of the naming scheme from WHO which indicates Feb 11th was when it was officially designated and named.

The problem was not with what it was called. It was when it was referred to as such and the context in which it was used.

China screwed this up big time starting with arresting the doctors who initially identified it and tried to warn everyone. They continue to alter reality. We just need to make sure the same isn't occurring in our country.

On a related note, two members of Congress have now tested positive (as of yesterday) and just informed the public of the positive tests. https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/19/politics/coronavirus-test-positive-lawmakers-list/index.html

This kind of pisses me off, though. My colleague had a headache, fever last Friday. Had a slight cough over the weekend. They were denied testing because they didn't meet criteria. They're a college professor, married to a college professor at a different University. The exposure potential is insane even if they're not in the "danger" group. with incubation of 2-14 days and indication it can be spread before being symptomatic; it could have been spread all over campus before Spring Break (which was last week...the week they displayed symptoms) and then we sent all those students home for a week. 60% of our students are out of state from the Northeast and midwest (Chicago area and Ohio). How do they not get tested?
Post 317 IP   flag post
@Beckett-Vintage

Well done. I support this. Hoping my books that have been “in processing” since late December keep moving forward. They are being pressed so didn’t think I’d see them until August anyway..

@etapi65 there’s definitely some questionable behaviors going on and the methods by which celebrities and high ranking officials without symptoms are getting access to testing.
Post 318 IP   flag post
Quote:
Well done. I support this. Hoping my books that have been “in processing” since late December keep moving forward. They are being pressed so didn’t think I’d see them until August anyway..

Same here, Dec. 20th for me.
Post 319 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Beckett-Vintage

@etapi65 there’s definitely some questionable behaviors going on and the methods by which celebrities and high ranking officials without symptoms are getting access to testing.

Money talks. I wouldnt be surprised if the infected celebs and high ranking officials are dropping cash on some of the testing kits from the private sector
Post 320 IP   flag post
Latest numbers...

Post 321 IP   flag post
I've been refreshing the world counter, every hour, because I am obsessed over it... https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I am finding:

30 deaths worldwide per hour, increasing slowly
1000 cases worldwide per hour, increasing slowly
30 recoveries worldwide per hour, decreasing slowly

Refresh it for yourselves, and take screenshots, and save them. I've been doing this for 5 days but I'm only going to show you today for an example. 1st photo is 9:30am PST and 2nd photo below is 10:30am PST

It's also interesting the Russia had it's first death today as well.
Post 322 IP   flag post
Yikes
Post 323 IP   flag post
January 30th...

Post 324 IP   flag post

Post 325 IP   flag post
Italy now has more total deaths than China.

Post 326 IP   flag post
So,

China’s death to recovery ratio is 5% while the rest of the world is 23%.

I suspect this might be because they have more capability with testing and been more proactive getting testing out there, but that difference right now is sobering.

Italy....75%.
Post 327 IP   flag post
Yup, I agree. Just as the # for the US will most likely spike as the results from the newly distributed kits get utilized.

Post 328 IP   flag post
Fox is now live with Trump and Pence talking with Governors about Covid-19.
Post 329 IP   flag post
@Drogio
Quote:
So,

China’s death to recovery ratio is 5% while the rest of the world is 23%.

I suspect this might be because they have more capability with testing and been more proactive getting testing out there, but that difference right now is sobering.

Italy....75%.

Can any data from the Chinese government really be trusted?
Post 330 IP   flag post
598057 679 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.