Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
... adds no value to the crisis, and is inconsistent with how it’s been technically referred to across the world.

This.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Here's your racism, on the CDC site:

Highly Pathogenic Asian Avian Influenza A(H5N1) Virus

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h5n1-virus.htm

Zika, Ebola...nobody mentioned racism when those were named after places.
Post 277 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I just feel good for those 'end of days' sandwich board guys....they might have finally gotten it right!!

Hahaha! This is exactly why CBCS needs to transition to the additional feedback icons, so I can click on the little laughing face, and not have to go to all the trouble of typing "Hahaha."
Post 278 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

but then Zika and Ebola, are neither one names for an entire race of people...whereas Chinese IS.....thinking that's a rather obvious point to have to make.
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

Wow, that’s a mouth full. They shortened that to the Avian Flu or Bird Flu. That’s where a nickname actually took the location out of it!
Post 280 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
but then Zika and Ebola, are neither one names for an entire race of people...whereas Chinese IS

Chinese is a nationality, but I understand your meaning well enough that we don't have to argue it. I just think strong words like racist, misogynist, bigot, hypocrite, etc get used far to casually and they lose their true meaning and impact. It's undermining to people who experience these things in the true sense of the words.
Post 281 IP   flag post
Yeah I can agree with you there and meet you halfways …….sadly I feel that those words have been brought into play quite a bit over the past few years...sometimes I feel quite correctly but agreed, at times frivolously. Myself I think we all experience them daily anymore...but we have become desensitized to how thoroughly nauseating the ideas behind them are.
Post 282 IP   flag post
CV Update, talked to a guy today who works at a large grocery store. He said the customer is no longer king, the manager is king. They are enforcing non-hoarding rules and throwing people out with nothing if they have a hard time accepting those rules, to the cheers of other customers. Cops are sitting in the parking lot if needed.

The run on toilet paper always confused me. I think it surprised a lot of us. US is the land of toilet paper...it's one of those things we still do better than anyone and have full control of the supply chain. I now speculate that it was started by people who have experienced situations like this in other countries before coming to the US. I imagine that if you live in a non-toilet paper producing country you quickly become conditioned to stock up at the first whisper of a shortage.
Post 283 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
@EbaySeller umm no lol
Post 284 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerncross
@EbaySeller umm no lol

It's my theory and I'm sticking to it! In Southern California I live amongst large communities that came here from parts of the world that have experienced extreme hardship and shortages at times. I just imagine that if I had experienced some of the things they've experienced I would probably be very careful to never again run out of toilet paper!
Post 285 IP   flag post
I'd like to say I still turned out alright, but that would be a lie. flanders private msg quote post Address this user

This is from the WHO official twitter account from January 14, 2020. I'm sharing this because a friend of mine believes that the U.S. and the Trump administration is primarily to blame for the country's delayed response to the crisis. I also have irrational friends that continue to believe that the entire world is overreacting to the situation. I hope that everyone takes this very seriously and isn't as irrational as some of my friends, family members, and people around the country that are continuing to leave the house on a regular basis for leisurely activities. I fear that America's deaths/million population will far exceed other nations due to the carelessness and ignorance of so many of it's citizens. Thanks to all on this forum that have been the voice of reason and continue to adhere to strict standards even if they have to make substantial sacrifices that may take years to recover from financially.
Post 286 IP   flag post
We should not have been relying on WHO in the first instance, that is why the CDC has a department for the early detection and response to world health issues, sadly defunded the last three years by over 180 million dollars....along with the loss of 65 million in funding for the department that is responsible for the handling of Zoonotic illness.

The WHO was far too slow first declaring any sort of emergency, and subsequently quite delinquent in declaring a pandemic.
Post 287 IP   flag post
Here's a pleasant surprise: The weekly grocery store ads arrived in my mailbox today and they are virtually unchanged from previous weeks. A couple years back I started shopping with the ads, found I could save about $100 per week (family of four) by pre-planning my purchases through the ads rather than impulse buying. With shelves emptying I expected they might do away with discount ads altogether...why discount when you are selling out of product. They must have significant confidence in their supply chain. Strangely the Von's ad even still has their "Friday Only" special deals, which is odd considering they are holding people outside in lines to limit occupancy.
Post 288 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 289 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 290 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I have lived with the virus in the environment since January. At some stage you just need to move on while being conscious about what you do.
Post 291 IP   flag post
For what it’s worth...

Wuhan Virus

I still think Covid-19 is most appropriate as it’s a scientific name and least controversial.
Post 292 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I just wanted to add something about the horrifically lethal 1918 Spanish Flu that was alluded to in a link in a previous post. It got its name because of all the deaths that were being reported in the newspapers from Spain (remember this was long before the internet, cell phones, and 24-hour cable news). What the majority of the world didn’t know was that there were massive deaths from this flu all over Europe and the US. But because of the War, and not wanting to show any signs of weakness, the governments of those areas would not allow their newspapers to print anything about it! So even though it was widespread, it appeared to be confined to Spain due to the withholding of information.
Post 293 IP   flag post
Collector etapi65 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I just wanted to add something about the horrifically lethal 1918 Spanish Flu that was alluded to in a link in a previous post. It got its name because of all the deaths that were being reported in the newspapers from Spain (remember this was long before the internet, cell phones, and 24-hour cable news). What the majority of the world didn’t know was that there were massive deaths from this flu all over Europe and the US. But because of the War, and not wanting to show any signs of weakness, the governments of those areas would not allow their newspapers to print anything about it! So even though it was widespread, it appeared to be confined to Spain due to the withholding of information.

The first known case of "Spanish" flu was in Kansas, USA at a military base. From there it appears to have been rapidly globalized, but sources in Britain and other European countries haven't been able to be discounted.

At the moment, assuming you can believe the reports from China (which there is ample reason to doubt). This could be remembered as Italian SARS. Italy did not take it seriously and took too long to lock-down. Even though the initial reaction was to imprison the doctor that warned of the "new pneumonia", eventually China locked down to relegate most of the spread to Wuhan province. Italy, in the meantime, has had their entire medical infrastructure overwhelmed and are only about 200 deaths behind China (but also over a month behind in first cases)currently standing at over 8% mortality rate. This past Monday was hopefully the peak in Italy with over 1000 new cases and 368 deaths (just on Monday). https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Post 294 IP   flag post
Biologist friend of mine just shared this, from 2007. https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660.full

" The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored."

it's almost like scientists...like...figure stuff out and stuff.
Post 295 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flanders

This is from the WHO official twitter account from January 14, 2020. I'm sharing this because a friend of mine believes that the U.S. and the Trump administration is primarily to blame for the country's delayed response to the crisis. I also have irrational friends that continue to believe that the entire world is overreacting to the situation. I hope that everyone takes this very seriously and isn't as irrational as some of my friends, family members, and people around the country that are continuing to leave the house on a regular basis for leisurely activities. I fear that America's deaths/million population will far exceed other nations due to the carelessness and ignorance of so many of it's citizens. Thanks to all on this forum that have been the voice of reason and continue to adhere to strict standards even if they have to make substantial sacrifices that may take years to recover from financially.

First ANY PRESIDENT may have acted the exact same way. But there is considerable evidence that our ability to test for this virus and respond to it was slowed at the direct supervision of the President. https://twitter.com/nprfreshair/status/1238186469690429440; https://www.npr.org/2020/03/12/814881355/white-house-knew-coronavirus-would-be-a-major-threat-but-response-fell-short

This Wednesday, Trump finally used language that made it sound as if he is taking the threat seriously. He used the terms "hoax" and "hunch" on several occasions to describe the threat. Now I already know/understand the response to this is going to be something along the lines of the media out to get Trump. That's the default response for, what in any other administration, would be referred to as "covering the news". So I don't expect you to agree/understand. I'm simply saying there is evidence available indicating the administration knew enough to respond quicker and did not. Your friends who solely place this on Trump somehow are probably rabid anti-Trumpers and so relay the information with political intent. I think you'd be hard pressed to assign a "passing grade" on how it has been handled , even with the understanding that Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, G.H.W. Bush, Clinton, W. Bush, Obama could have all made the same mis-steps for all we know. This virus making it to the US and interrupting our economy and daily lives is certainly not Trump's fault.

edit: I have contacts at several medical schools. They were actively denied, by the CDC, the ability to manufacture and distribute tests for this virus as recently as last week (I want to say it was Tuesday, but may have been Wednesday) before finally being tagged in to the game. Places like MUSC in Charleston had capacity and capability, but were directly denied a role/place. The original outbreak in Seattle was diagnosed by researchers who went against what they were directly told by the government in order to identify that COVID-19 was here. They literally went rogue to address this issue.
Post 296 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
I have heard that Everyone will either:

a) get the coronavirus, or

b) get the coronavirus vaccine.
Post 297 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by etapi65
Biologist friend of mine just shared this, from 2007. https://cmr.asm.org/content/20/4/660.full

" The presence of a large reservoir of SARS-CoV-like viruses in horseshoe bats, together with the culture of eating exotic mammals in southern China, is a time bomb. The possibility of the reemergence of SARS and other novel viruses from animals or laboratories and therefore the need for preparedness should not be ignored."

Now this is extremely interesting to me.
Post 298 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
At some stage you just need to move on while being conscious about what you do.

I'd have to agree with you there, but people are gross and stupid. This is why it's spread so fast. I walk around this house and point out the things my mother in law and wife do wrong before/during/after cleaning. You can only take so many precautions but if you aren't using that noggin it's all for nothing.
Post 299 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
At some stage you just need to move on while being conscious about what you do.

I'd have to agree with you there, but people are gross and stupid. This is why it's spread so fast. I walk around this house and point out the things my mother in law and wife do wrong before/during/after cleaning. You can only take so many precautions but if you aren't using that noggin it's all for nothing.

When I see my wife "washing" dishes I just step in and say...hey I've got it. Once she leaves I rewash what she already "washed". I once pointed out that every single dish she had washed had dried food on it still and she got made about me "criticizing" her...so I just do it.
Post 300 IP   flag post
It's best to just be quiet and do things yourself.

Meanwhile, I am the only one who leaves this house to get prescriptions, gas, and smoke. When I leave, I wear gloves and keep disinfecting wipes in my pockets, and I have started to wear a full face skull cap Russian military gas respirator mask with filtration system. When I come home, I immediately shower and change clothes. I take no chances. I know what I'm doing, but I don't know what my wife or MIL is doing to make precautions as needed. Everyone touches their face, even when you don't realize it. The respirator mask and gloves mitigate this tremendously when you are out in public.

It's also important that you are trained in how to properly install and remove such items, like gloves or masks. If you don't remove them correctly and wash up immediately after, it doesn't do you any good. You also must clean your masks immediately at home as well. Filters for masks must be replaced regularly.

Stay safe. It's a new world we live in now. (At least until a vaccine is created worldwide which could still be 6-18 months away)
Post 301 IP   flag post
Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Bruce Wayne's fear of bats was legitimate. All these years I thought he had just grown up soft.
Post 302 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@etapi65 I’d like to shake hands with both of you gentlemen for being so brave during the dire time. I’d pray that the virus would take me if I were to criticize my wife.
Post 303 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
There is supposed to be a cure from Covid with a very common medication (hydroxychloroquine). We will see.

Hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil) is an inexpensive, globally available drug (tablet) that was approved for widespread medical use since 1955. It is commonly used today to treat malaria, systemic lupus erythematosus and rheumatoid arthritis.

clickable text
Post 304 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post 305 IP   flag post
598019 679 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.