Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Canadian Bacon isn’t racist because Canadian is not a race.

Allow me to point out the obvious here. “Chinese” is not a race either.

You know what is racist? Those who consider that “Chinese” is referring to all Asian people.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

Why do you think she didn't tell us who it was that supposedly said it?

I assume the person she was talking to was off the record to some degree. Maybe speaking on background only? Not for attribution? Something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
wow who knew...I had always wondered how it came to be called "Canadian Bacon"

https://www.kitchenproject.com/history/CanadianBacon/index.htm

Well, they are wrong about one thing ... they TOTALLY call 'em "Buffalo Wings" in Buffalo. In fact, last fall I went to the bar/restaurant that lays claim to having invented buffalo wings.

I would give them an 8 out of 10 ... 10 being the best wings I've ever eaten. So not bad.
Post 252 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Canadian Bacon isn’t racist because Canadian is not a race.

Allow me to point out the obvious here. Chinese is not a race either.

You know what is racist? Those who consider that “Chinese” is referring to all Asian people.

Um ... if "Chinese" isn't a race, and "Asian" isn't a race, then why is referring to Asian people as "Chinese" racist?

You know what? Never mind ... just stop it. It's not worth getting all riled up just because you want to use a term that some people find offensive. Use it or don't; just so you know how it would reflect on you, personally, if you choose to.
Post 253 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Dont even get me started on French Fries.
Post 254 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user

clickable text

Yamiche Alcindor and Weijia Jiang are obviously friends. One works for CBS and the other for PBS (both anti-Trump) and both women are White House Correspondents. Seeing how this is playing out it just makes me wonder if they are perpetuating a lie and making up their own fake news.
Post 255 IP   flag post

Post 256 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid
Quote:

Um ... if "Chinese" isn't a race, and "Asian" isn't a race, then why is referring to Asian people as "Chinese" racist?

I never said “Asian” isn’t a race.

I am saying that calling non-Chinese Asian people “Chinese” is wrong.

Quote:
”...why is referring to Asian people as "Chinese" racist?

The term “Chinese” should not be used to refer to an entire race. That’s racist.

Make sense?
Post 257 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Chi•nese (tʃaɪˈniz, -ˈnis)

n., pl. -nese,
adj. n.
1. a native or inhabitant of China.
2. a Sino-Tibetan language or language family, comprising a wide variety of speech forms, many mutually unintelligible, that are traditionally labeled dialects, and are written with identical characters. Abbr.: Chin., Chin
3. a member of the people who speak Chinese, collectively representing the great majority of the inhabitants of China and Taiwan, and forming a significant population element in Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, and other countries of Southeast Asia.
adj.
4. of or pertaining to China or its inhabitants.
5. of or pertaining to the language Chinese or its speakers.
Post 258 IP   flag post
So anyways bought me some fullbacks and mylite 2's...they came today. I am looking out there at them on the porch trying to decide when I will bring them in...been there for six hours now.
Post 259 IP   flag post
Quote:
I never said “Asian” isn’t a race.

I am saying that calling non-Chinese Asian people “Chinese” is wrong.

These term “Chinese” should not be used to refer to an entire race. That’s racist.

Make sense?

Hahaha ... dude, I was just yanking your chain. No one calls people from India "Chinese." That's not even a thing.

You're trying to get all legalistic on something that really isn't that complicated. Trump does racist shit all the time, and then pretends it's not racist. If you prefer, you can call it "bigoted," I'm fine with that. But you're getting all wound up for nothing. Just avoid the racist and/or offensive terms, okay?
Post 260 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I have some "Made in China shirts, so I can call them Chinese shirts, right?
Post 261 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid
Quote:
Just avoid the racist and/or offensive terms, okay?

You have me mixed up with another forum member. I never used the term at all. It was @Towmater
Post 262 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
I think the point is that if a phrase makes a person uncomfortable, out of respect, people should refrain from using that term IF it doesn't infringe on their rights.

Trying to justify it or explain it whether you are left right or middle is irrelevant. At the end of the day, we are all comic collectors and respect should be a given.
Post 263 IP   flag post
@Bronte
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronte
I think the point is that if a phrase makes a person uncomfortable, out of respect, people should refrain from using that term IF it doesn't infringe on their rights.

Trying to justify it or explain it whether you are left right or middle is irrelevant. At the end of the day, we are all comic collectors and respect should be a given.

Thank you Bronte, someone gets it.

Quote:

The message is do not assume an East Asian person is of “Chinese” origin. That’s racist.
Post 264 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
Being told by family members that are doctors that nursing homes are starting to refuse elderly patients with the flu, i.e., test positive for the flu ONLY and have symptoms. That is keeping those people in the hospital taking up beds that a month ago would have been available for other patients.

That becomes a problem if hospitals are stack with those patients and a large number of chinese virus/coronavirus (whatever you are calling it) patients roll into hospitals. You are going to have cross contamination issues and a shortage of beds.
very true. We never admit patients with the flu into our facilities. Only because if it spreads to other residents it could cause more trouble than it’s worth. And in a place like that it spreads
Post 265 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

The message is do not assume an East Asian person is of “Chinese” origin. Not knowing that is racist.

No, I get the message. What I don't get is the need for the message. Who here was confusing an East Asian non-Chinese person as being Chinese? I mean, what was the point of you bringing that up? You know that Wuhan is in China, right?

Quote:
Quote:

Just avoid the racist and/or offensive terms, okay?

You have me mixed up with another forum member. I never used the term at all. It was @Towmater

No, I know you didn't use it. But you sounded like you were defending the terminology. And so I was saying, you shouldn't use it. That's all.
Post 266 IP   flag post
The apple sauce and pudding were the best part... Bronte private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkseid_of_town

Lucky you.

I dont live in the ghetto, but I dont think a nice tempting box hanging out in my porch would last 6 hours.
Post 267 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

Here’s what I’m saying.

Whomever claims that naming something “Chinese _______” is a racist term... is actually making a racist statement themselves.

Here’s why.

They are assuming that “Chinese” is a race, which it is not.
Post 268 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
My vote is people should not refer to this as the China or Chinese virus.

It is 2020, not 1918. Using what was accepted in 1918 is not justification for it being acceptable in 2020.

Naming it after a race or county adds no value to the crisis, and is inconsistent with how it’s been technically referred to across the world. It may even be inaccurate as they have not confirmed who “patient zero” is.

Naming it after a race or county is ill advised as it will most likely breed hatred and resentment towards people within our boarders by the confused, scared and desperate individuals looking to blame someone (or group of people) as an outlet to feeling out of control.

That’s my 2 cents, regardless of what Trump’s true motives are.
Post 269 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
It’s the Bat virus
Post 270 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid

Here’s what I’m saying.

Whomever claims that naming something “Chinese _______” is a racist term... is actually making a racist statement themselves.

Here’s why.

They are assuming that “Chinese” is a race, which it is not.

Well ... you know that's absurd, right? You're basically saying: one can't be racist towards Chinese people unless one includes all Asians in their supposedly racist remarks.

I'm sure, if you give it some thought, you can recall a few terms that are racist towards, say, Japanese, or Vietnamese. Or Mexicans, even though people from Mexico aren't the only Latinos in the world. And even though "Latino" is a category of ethnicity, not of race. (As is "Hispanic."

Surely you didn't mean that it is impossible to be racist towards a Hispanic person, just because Hispanic people can be members of any race?
Post 271 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I just feel good for those 'end of days' sandwich board guys....they might have finally gotten it right!!
Post 272 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid

This is not what I’m saying.

Let’s agree to disagree.
Post 273 IP   flag post
@KatKomics
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I just feel good for those 'end of days' sandwich board guys....they might have finally gotten it right!!

Haha.

On a brighter note, no new cases in Wuhan today.
Post 274 IP   flag post
My comment is this...when you elect someone president, you have the right to expect Presidential behavior. If comments or behaviors are found divisive by those within that constituency, especially in moments of crisis , it only serves to further undermine and detract from any remaining sense of calm or hope that administration might hope to offer its people. Labeling a virus that is killing hundreds and infecting thousands the way this one has, is creating division and unhappiness apparently....hopefully people learn from it all
Post 275 IP   flag post
@Drogio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
... adds no value to the crisis, and is inconsistent with how it’s been technically referred to across the world.

This.
Post 276 IP   flag post
Masculinity takes a holiday. EbayMafia private msg quote post Address this user
Here's your racism, on the CDC site:

Highly Pathogenic Asian Avian Influenza A(H5N1) Virus

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/avianflu/h5n1-virus.htm

Zika, Ebola...nobody mentioned racism when those were named after places.
Post 277 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics

Hahaha! This is exactly why CBCS needs to transition to the additional feedback icons, so I can click on the little laughing face, and not have to go to all the trouble of typing "Hahaha."
Post 278 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

but then Zika and Ebola, are neither one names for an entire race of people...whereas Chinese IS.....thinking that's a rather obvious point to have to make.
Post 279 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbaySeller

Wow, that’s a mouth full. They shortened that to the Avian Flu or Bird Flu. That’s where a nickname actually took the location out of it!
Post 280 IP   flag post
598060 679 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.