Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Being told by family members that are doctors that nursing homes are starting to refuse elderly patients with the flu, i.e., test positive for the flu ONLY and have symptoms. That is keeping those people in the hospital taking up beds that a month ago would have been available for other patients.

That becomes a problem if hospitals are stack with those patients and a large number of chinese virus/coronavirus (whatever you are calling it) patients roll into hospitals. You are going to have cross contamination issues and a shortage of beds.
Post 226 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Remember, every three days (approximately) the number of infected in the US is doubling. That means, every three days you have twice as many opportunities to get infected yourself when you go out anywhere. Also, you have twice the opportunity to infect people "downstream" of you. Perhaps some that are vulnerable.

This also means there are twice as many infected now (Tuesday night, 9 pm) as there were on Saturday night. And four times as many as last Wednesday night. Also, a LOT of infected people are not exhibiting symptoms, and won't do for up to another two weeks.

During the press conference just completed, Dr. Birx stated that they expect the number of cases to "dramatically" increase due to the backlog of test finally being processed. She explains it here

https://youtu.be/KXL6HoBIsAo?t=3543

Starts at the 59:00 minute mark in video.
Post 227 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I hope you all are buying face mask respirators and gloves. When you leave the house, as soon as you come home kick off your clothes and take a shower. If you don't want to get it, that's what you do.
Post 228 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
I was under the impression you remain COVID-19 free by wiping your ass with a palette of toilet paper.
Post 229 IP   flag post
I hear their hourly rate is outrageous! sportshort private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
I was under the impression you remain COVID-19 free by wiping your ass with a palette of toilet paper.

Let's not get flippant here, everyone knows it only takes a case of toilet paper to be virus free.
Post 230 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
That becomes a problem if hospitals are stack with those patients and a large number of chinese virus/coronavirus (whatever you are calling it) patients roll into hospitals.

FYI, bigoted and racist politicians started this trend, of calling it the "Chinese virus." Likely, in order to deflect blame. No one else anywhere in the world calls it this. It is the coronavirus by convention; or, to be more correct (because "coronavirus" is actually a class of virus, of which the current pandemic is one), you should call it Covid-19, the official designation worldwide.

I strongly suggest you don't fall into the racist trap of also calling it the Chinese virus, and I hope most people will realize that the public folks who do - a few politicians, and some Fox News hosts (such as Lou Dobbs and Sean Hannity) - are not doing so for any sort of noble, or even logical, reason.

If you are unsure, then ask yourself: why change the nomenclature just in the last week or so? Why do this, when everyone already knows what you are talking about when you say "coronavirus" or "Covid-19?" What possible good could it do, to start using a different term? What possible motivation could there be to confuse the issue here?
Post 231 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
And it's almost certain that you can't get it more than once.

This is incorrect. There are many relapsing and reinfection cases currently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Ted and I aren't gonna get this thread locked, brah

Yes, I believe we are capable of disagreeing without being disagreeable. Of course it helps that I have a lot of respect for the esteemed captain.

@kaptainmyke - I'm glad you keep posting your findings and what you are hearing out there, what you are reading about Covid-19. I am paying attention, even if I disagree with your conclusions.

For me, I really, really hope you are wrong. Or rather, that the research you are reading is wrong. It is likely to be wrong, in my opinion, for a few reasons: there are only a few reported cases of reinfection; it may be different strains, or just a resurgence of the first infection that wasn't, in fact, completely cured; or it could be the result of errors in data gathering.

Based on what we know about these types of viruses, people are not susceptible after having it once and getting better, due to the immune system "learning" how to deal with it.

But, having said all that, it is absolutely still possible that this particular virus will be different, and I definitely pay attention to anything you are posting on the matter, K.M. Thanks.
Post 232 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:
That becomes a problem if hospitals are stack with those patients and a large number of chinese virus/coronavirus (whatever you are calling it) patients roll into hospitals.

FYI, bigoted and racist politicians started this trend, of calling it the "Chinese virus." Likely, in order to deflect blame. No one else anywhere in the world calls it this. It is the coronavirus by convention; or, to be more correct (because "coronavirus" is actually a class of virus, of which the current pandemic is one), you should call it Covid-19, the official designation worldwide.

I strongly suggest you don't fall into the racist trap of also calling it the Chinese virus, and I hope most people will realize that the public folks who do - a few politicians, and some Fox News hosts (such as Lou Dobbs and Sean Hannity) - are not doing so for any sort of noble, or even logical, reason.

If you are unsure, then ask yourself: why change the nomenclature just in the last week or so? Why do this, when everyone already knows what you are talking about when you say "coronavirus" or "Covid-19?" What possible good could it do, to start using a different term? What possible motivation could there be to confuse the issue here?

Seems to occur once in a while, when the government wants to shame or distance itself from a country.

Remember changing the name of French fries to “Freedom fries” when France opposed the invasion of Iraq? Would you consider that bigotry?
Post 233 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Seems to occur once in a while, when the government wants to shame or distance itself from a country.

Remember changing the name of French fries to “Freedom fries” when France opposed the invasion of Iraq? Would you consider that bigotry?

No, just dumb nationalism. (As opposed to patriotism, which I'm all for.)

It is also telling that these bigots use the phrase "Chinese virus" instead of the phrase, the "China virus." As if the virus itself is Chinese, instead of just originating from there.

Anyway, we know what to call it now - it has an official designation: Covid-19. Which stands for COronaVIrus Disease of 2019. And if someone wants to call it something else, we know why.
Post 234 IP   flag post
The makers of Corona beer probably petitioned the WHO to come up with an official name. “Would ya mind changing the name of this virus? It’s really starting to affect our sales here”.
Post 235 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I have a lot of respect for the esteemed captain.

Same, no disrespect
Post 236 IP   flag post
Based on my current research and findings, I have a few recommendations. I'd rather be over the top with this, than sorry I wasn't:

· If you must sign for a package, wear disposable gloves. Wash hands afterwards immediately without touching your face.

· Leave packages in your garage for a few days before opening. Typical transit is 2-3 days plus days in the garage untouched is a week untouched. Do not walk the packages through your house to place outside in the garage.

· Leave a sign on your front door: "PLEASE LEAVE DELIVERIES AT DOOR" or leave a table outside for food or packages. Do not touch the packages for at least 30 minutes once the delivery person has left.

· According to recent studies with NIAID, the COVID-19 virus is airborne for up to 30 minutes from aerosols in the air from an infected person. http://bit.ly/3a3PBMA - and it's not clear if conventional air conditioning systems are sufficient in close quarters or automobiles. You should be wearing a face respirator mask and gloves if you leave the house. When you come home, shower and change clothes immediately. Leave shoes at the door in garage.

· The issue at hand is to avoid human contact since it is airborne and highly contagious without symptoms.

· If you leave the house, wear a $100 face respirator mask if possible, bring gloves and disinfecting wipes in your pockets. Remove clothes and take a shower immediately when you come home. Be mindful of floors where your shoes and socks travel and what they possibly touch.

· Wear gloves and be mindful of "public objects" that could be a potential carrier of the coronavirus COVID-19 virus: Gas Pumps, ATM Machines, Credit Card Processors, Door Knobs, Toilets. Transmission is airborne within 30 minutes of an infected person and surfaces can linger anywhere from 24 hours on cardboard to 2-3 days for metals, plastics, and wood. Copper is the least transmissive surface with only a 6 hour half life.

· Bleach only lasts 6 months to a year. Mixing 2 tablespoons of bleach with 4 cups of water makes a cleaning solution to disinfect counters, surfaces, doorknobs, remotes, and other high traffic touch surface areas. A bleach water solution is only good for 24 hours. After several days the mixture turns to pure water or salt water.

· Get news updates from the CDC or WHO websites.
Post 237 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
The contention about re-infection vs relapse is one that has not been resolved. It would seem likely that once your body builds up an immune response and cures itself of the virus that you would be unable to become again infected again.That is the generally accepted understanding of the virus.

In the epicenter in Wuhan they apparently documented cases that were first infected with the more lethal deadly strain, and were subsequently cured, only to contract the milder emerging strain.

The studies this far have been ambiguous in determining positively if the cases were re-infections or cases where the virus had become dormant within the system, and later re-emerged..or relapsed.
So far the case percentage to cases confirmed however appears quite low, if that helps .

Much of the issue there is likely due to the fact there is no known vaccine for the virus, that is currently available. Without being able to state clearly recovered, it is impossible to state if the re-infection was always there and not manifesting symptoms or active within the system.
Post 238 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
The 1918 H1N1 pandemic that killed 50 million was called the “Spanish flu”. I don't believe that is bigoted.

Why Was the 1918 Influenza Pandemic Called the ‘Spanish Flu’?
In World War I, neutral Spain was the first to report flu deaths in its newspapers, so commentators soon nicknamed the pandemic ‘Spanish flu.’clickable text

Newspapers and commentators. AKA fake news in 1918. Just like today when a person from the media stated to the President that someone from his staff called the Coronavirus, "Kung-fu Flu" but didn't know who it was. To late. The damage was done. More garbage floated out there to reinforce people's beliefs of false allegations.
Post 239 IP   flag post
and ironically it now seems from the documented studies done, that "Spanish Flu" also originated in China, although the true source has remained ambiguous.

Several studies have placed the epicenter at various locations, including Fort Riley in Kansas....

this part of the Spanish Flu makes it especially frightening...

The second wave of the 1918 pandemic was much deadlier than the first. The first wave had resembled typical flu epidemics; those most at risk were the sick and elderly, while younger, healthier people recovered easily. By August, when the second wave began in France, Sierra Leone, and the United States,the virus had mutated to a much deadlier form. October 1918 was the deadliest month of the whole pandemic.
Post 240 IP   flag post
Ironically, Ebola is called Ebola because they didn’t want to stigmatize the village it originated in. So they looked at the map and used the name of river near the village. Where isn’t racist. It is where it originated. Both the river and the village are WHERE they still are located.

Now putting out fake news saying a US soldier brought it somewhere and started the outbreak to throw doubt on the true origin of the virus is really beyond the pale though.
Post 241 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
The 1918 H1N1 pandemic that killed 50 million was called the “Spanish flu”. I don't believe that is bigoted.

Just call the current coronavirus "Covid-19," like most of the country and the rest of the world, and you'll be fine. No need to get all xenophobic about this.

From Vox: "Two days ago, President Donald Trump suddenly stopped referring to the Covid-19 coronavirus by its common name, which experts and laypeople and the president himself had been using for months, and started using a racist designation: the 'Chinese virus'."

"Looking at Trump’s Twitter account, his megaphone to the nation, he tweeted about 'coronavirus' about 40 times between January 24 (the first mention) and March 15. But on March 16, his rhetoric flipped: He hasn’t referred to the 'coronavirus' at all and has instead tweeted using his new preferred racist name five times in the past two days."

Also, the Spanish flu actually started in Kansas. So the name was wrong for a few reasons.

Here's the link.
Post 242 IP   flag post
This one really isn't my argument but I do think Tedsaid was explicitly referring to "Chinese" virus, rather than China virus....the one being somewhat suggestive of people, vs the second which is in fact a place.

Quote:
Quote:

Just my two cents...carry on.
Post 243 IP   flag post
Quote:
Ironically, Ebola is called Ebola because they didn’t want to stigmatize the village it originated in. So the look at the map and used the name of river near the village. Where isn’t racist. It is where it originated. Both the river and the village are WHERE they still are located.

Okay, then ... if it isn't xenophobia, and it isn't racism, then why change the name this week? Why suddenly blame China at the same time the administration has suddenly realized they have a real, not a fake, crisis on their hands? Why worry over the nomenclature when the rest of the world already uses the official designation, or a common term, and everyone already knows where it came from?

There is no reason, or logic, beyond racism towards the Chinese. It really isn't that hard to figure out, @Towmater.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Why is it called Canadian bacon instead of Canada bacon?

I’m considering being offended.
Post 245 IP   flag post
wow who knew...I had always wondered how it came to be called "Canadian Bacon"

https://www.kitchenproject.com/history/CanadianBacon/index.htm
Post 246 IP   flag post
We call it “peameal bacon” or “back bacon” here.
Post 247 IP   flag post
Quote:
Just call the current coronavirus "Covid-19," like most of the country and the rest of the world, and you'll be fine. No need to get all xenophobic about this.

I get it, you don't like Trump. That's your prerogative and right. No need to start calling people names. I am not xenophobic. BTW, I think you're a little off on the facts about the Spanish Flu's origins.

Where did the Spanish flu really originate?

For many years, medical historians and epidemiologists hypothesized that the outbreak could have started at a British army base in Étaples, France, or at Fort Riley in Kansas, where the first American cases of this new strain of flu were recorded in March of 1918.

More recently, experts have proposed a third hypothesis: The Spanish flu originated somewhere in northern China in late 1917 and swiftly moved to western Europe with the 140,000 Chinese laborers the French and British governments recruited to perform manual labor to free up troops for wartime duty.

Regardless of its origins, the Spanish Flu was an unprecedented global catastrophe.
clickable text
Post 248 IP   flag post
It is amazing for me in this day and with the Spanish Flu having happened so long ago, that it remains uncertain where it began ...the case in Fort Riley was the first REPORTED death due to the flu, but it could easily have begun far sooner in another location and spread as well from the research I have read.
Post 249 IP   flag post
Quote:

Why do you think she didn't tell us who it was that supposedly said it?
Post 250 IP   flag post
Canadian Bacon isn’t racist because Canadian is not a race.

Allow me to point out the obvious here. “Chinese” is not a race either.

You know what is racist? Those who consider that “Chinese” is referring to all Asian people.
Post 251 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:

Why do you think she didn't tell us who it was that supposedly said it?

I assume the person she was talking to was off the record to some degree. Maybe speaking on background only? Not for attribution? Something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid_of_town
wow who knew...I had always wondered how it came to be called "Canadian Bacon"

https://www.kitchenproject.com/history/CanadianBacon/index.htm

Well, they are wrong about one thing ... they TOTALLY call 'em "Buffalo Wings" in Buffalo. In fact, last fall I went to the bar/restaurant that lays claim to having invented buffalo wings.

I would give them an 8 out of 10 ... 10 being the best wings I've ever eaten. So not bad.
Post 252 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
Canadian Bacon isn’t racist because Canadian is not a race.

Allow me to point out the obvious here. Chinese is not a race either.

You know what is racist? Those who consider that “Chinese” is referring to all Asian people.

Um ... if "Chinese" isn't a race, and "Asian" isn't a race, then why is referring to Asian people as "Chinese" racist?

You know what? Never mind ... just stop it. It's not worth getting all riled up just because you want to use a term that some people find offensive. Use it or don't; just so you know how it would reflect on you, personally, if you choose to.
Post 253 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Dont even get me started on French Fries.
Post 254 IP   flag post

clickable text

Yamiche Alcindor and Weijia Jiang are obviously friends. One works for CBS and the other for PBS (both anti-Trump) and both women are White House Correspondents. Seeing how this is playing out it just makes me wonder if they are perpetuating a lie and making up their own fake news.
Post 255 IP   flag post
601445 679 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.