CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Which Artists do you prefer to collect?11354

Collector Hcanes private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith
Current faves

Jason Shawn Alexander .. reading killadelphia purely because of how much I loved his work in spawn

Karl Kerschl' s work in isola has been mesmerising.

And enjoying Todd Mcfarlane drawing pages again

Agreed about Jason, his work got me back into Spawn. His style matched the tone for Spawn. I hope his Killapelphia has a substantial run.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
As a GA collector and artist I'm most impressed by the old masters. Not excluding peers of Rembrandt whose work is also greatly appreciated, I'll extend praise to artists Lou Fine, Reed Crandall, Alex Schomburg, George Rozen, Jack Cole, Jack Kirby, Jack Binder (and several other Jacks whose last names elude me at the moment), Graham Ingles, Wally Wood, Frank Frazetta, Al Williamson, Carmine Infantino, Murphy Anderson and Alex Ross. I'm not sure it's possible to explain what inspires collecting any specific artist's work, except to say I like their style. So, here are examples of the first three artists mentioned...

Lou Fine

Reed Crandall

Alex Schomburg

Original art: SF dust-jacket painting & cover recreation (Marvel Mystery #66) by Alex...

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Darkseid_of_town private msg quote post Address this user
Kirby first and foremost (fourth world, Kamandi, Demon,), Steranko of course (x men 50), Murphy Anderson(original Zatanna artist), Harry G Peter (early golden age wonder woman) , and some of Mcfarlanes work( infinity inc, and Spider man )...and I have discovered I enjoy the female art done by Maer, thanks to a gift from a forum Member, Tedsaid. Oh and do not forget the Aparo work on Spectre in Adventure comics from about issue 330 -340
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Gene Colan for me.
Post 29 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
I don't collect by artist. That would send my OCD into a tizzy.
Post 30 IP   flag post

I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
The Silver age masters go without saying; Kirby, Colan, Romita, Marie Severin, Buscema, Gil Kane..

But in the the mid eighties it was Timothy Truman's dirty gritty style that actually brought me back into the hobby. His Grim Jack work along with John Ostrander's writing had a profound effect on me. Im SUPER stoked to hear there may finally be a Grim Jack Movie in the works

The next biggest effect on me was Mike Zeck's "Circle of Blood" Mini-Series. It was exactly what I always envisioned the Punisher to be. To me it is the standard in which I judge all other Punisher work. Most have always fell short and Only Jim Lee's War Journal version was close.

John Buscema's work became my next obsession. He defined the Conan character much the way Zeck Defined The Punisher and I began chasing Higher Grade Conan Books. Along with many Gil Kane classic covers, the title became a favorite of mine.

My latest attraction has been with Joe Kubert and his legendary Our Army at War(Sgt Rock) work.

I just love Friggin Comic Art in General!
Post 31 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
George Rozen...

Jack Cole...

Jack Kirby...

Several more righteous examples of the old masters...
Post 32 IP   flag post
600858 32 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?